Stiff upper lip or just understated?

ugly

LE
On Amazon D Max there is a program called “survive that” boasting ex military survival experts.
The ads have excerpts from the footage.
The American in cammo gear in a sweaty jungle,
The British chap in normal jeans and shirt gets kidnapped and dropped off on top of a snow covered mountain
Yank all Yeehaw and god willing, the Englishman: “well that’s a bit of a stitch up!”
Made me proud!

On Amazon D Max there is a program called “survive that” boasting ex military survival experts.
The ads have excerpts from the footage.
The American in cammo gear in a sweaty jungle,
The British chap in normal jeans and shirt gets kidnapped and dropped off on top of a snow covered mountain
Yank all Yeehaw and god willing, the Englishman: “well that’s a bit of a stitch up!”
Made me proud!
Watch ‘Redneck Island’ and don’t shout at the TV. Go on, I dare you...

ugly

LE
Watch ‘Redneck Island’ and don’t shout at the TV. Go on, I dare you...
I have a love hate relationship with these programs, far too many negative idiots whining about their problems

I can’t stop watching them though

Sensible, rational people don't make for good TV. The first "Castaways on a Desert Island" ever was filmed off Scotland, two RM turned up on Day One to give advice. They recommended the roofless shepherd's croft for an overnighter to start with. Oh no, that was going to be a creche with woodland carvings, woven rattan toys, etc. They also demonstrated to a bunch of sandal-wearing veggies how to despatch a chicken and a rabbit. The only decent organiser - water, shelter & food got binned by the attendees as soon as possible.

The well that was tapped by the TV crew had liver flukes or similar, the show got abandoned.

I can't watch these shows. If I were on one, the only luxuries I'd ask for is 500 yards of razor wire, some hooks and some fishing line, maybe a heavy knife if allowed. I'll sort the rest out myself, alone thank you, and see you at the end of the series, fit, strong, healthy and quite happy without the "Oooh, look at me, I suffer from (XXX)" people.

I like the ones with Ed Stafford in them. He shows the bits where he makes a balls up of things as well.

He is a very lovely bloke in person.

Yokel

LE
I had a stiff upper lip until I started reading this thread. I once saw a film called Bare Naked Survivor about a fictional reality show where a group of nude women have to live on a beach or island.

I do not recall and stiff lips (possibly nipples) or usable survival tips, but I did not see the whole film.

Sensible, rational people don't make for good TV. The first "Castaways on a Desert Island" ever was filmed off Scotland, two RM turned up on Day One to give advice. They recommended the roofless shepherd's croft for an overnighter to start with. Oh no, that was going to be a creche with woodland carvings, woven rattan toys, etc. They also demonstrated to a bunch of sandal-wearing veggies how to despatch a chicken and a rabbit. The only decent organiser - water, shelter & food got binned by the attendees as soon as possible.

The well that was tapped by the TV crew had liver flukes or similar, the show got abandoned.

I can't watch these shows. If I were on one, the only luxuries I'd ask for is 500 yards of razor wire, some hooks and some fishing line, maybe a heavy knife if allowed. I'll sort the rest out myself, alone thank you, and see you at the end of the series, fit, strong, healthy and quite happy without the "Oooh, look at me, I suffer from (XXX)" people.
A couple of years ago daughter #1 got put forward for audition by her Model Agency on one of those Desert Island jobbies..
You go S*****, you grew up on a farm.....

"How would you feel about catching, killing and could you gut a fish?"
"Eh?"
"How would you feel about gutting and skinning an (already dead) rabbit?"

"Well, they're alot easier doing still warm"

Lots of sideways glances and raised eyebrows....

"How would you deal with a Vegan on your team?"...

"We'll, I wouldn't eat 'em if that's what you're worried about"

She failed the medical....
Not enough body fat apparently.

A splash of sherry into a cup of Bovril is about as stiff upper lipped in extreme adversity as you can get.

Yours aye,

Noel.

Yokel

LE
A splash of sherry into a cup of Bovril is about as stiff upper lipped in extreme adversity as you can get.

Yours aye,

Noel.

It was "heavily laced with....".

There was a series a few years ago in which somebody was supposedly living in some sort of outdoor building and was making appliances from materials he found lying around. He had students from some product development course to help him. The things he made included an oven, a toilet, electricity generation and storage, and I cannot remember what else.

Another series put celebrity science types in some sort of remote location where they made things from first principles - such as a clock or a basic radio receiver.

Reality TV for the thinking person.

There was a series a few years ago in which somebody was supposedly living in some sort of outdoor building and was making appliances from materials he found lying around. He had students from some product development course to help him. The things he made included an oven, a toilet, electricity generation and storage, and I cannot remember what else.

Another series put celebrity science types in some sort of remote location where they made things from first principles - such as a clock or a basic radio receiver.

As if Noels wrist could cope with some heavy lacing...oh now hang on a minute.

Would love to know the name of this series (if you can recall it)

I had a stiff upper lip until I started reading this thread. I once saw a film called Bare Naked Survivor about a fictional reality show where a group of nude women have to live on a beach or island.

I do not recall and stiff lips (possibly nipples) or usable survival tips, but I did not see the whole film.

Link? asking for myself of course, I'd be willing to check right the way through

Yokel

LE
Would love to know the name of this series (if you can recall it)

The first series was called Mod Cons and was presented by the architect Maxwell Hutchinson - a Professor and former head of rhe Royal Institute of British British Architects. I tried a quick YouTube search but found nothing - please let me know if you can find videos as it was really good.

The second one was called Rough Science and was on BBC2 a few years ago.

Link? asking for myself of course, I'd be willing to check right the way through

I would have to find it myself.

A couple of years ago daughter #1 got put forward for audition by her Model Agency on one of those Desert Island jobbies..
You go S*****, you grew up on a farm.....

"How would you feel about catching, killing and could you gut a fish?"
"Eh?"
"How would you feel about gutting and skinning an (already dead) rabbit?"

"Well, they're alot easier doing still warm"

Lots of sideways glances and raised eyebrows....

"How would you deal with a Vegan on your team?"...

"We'll, I wouldn't eat 'em if that's what you're worried about"

Good girl, all my grand-children would say the same as her. You must be so proud of her. Their Dads? Not sure, but they have done both at least once with me and would know what to do if pressed. I'd not put them on telly though- "where's the Turkish barbers on this island", etc etc.

Latest Threads