Sticky situation

In a bit of a shit situation, I’m currently 2 years and 7 months into my service and can sign of in October, I have just bought a house up north and got a child on the way with my fiancé and been offered a job 20 minutes from my home with a £2000 pay rise, I’m currently a private in a non deployable pid, been away on a few courses and do Corps level sport, sorry to bang on but I was just wondering is there any way at all I can get early termination? I don’t want to speak to CoC as I’ve been told I’m likely to pick up when the board comes out so don’t want to ruin it but I’m 90% certain I want to sign off. Cheers for any help.

Bogie_Bear

War Hero
Would some advice from a civvy help? Everyone is a ****, they promise the earth and deliver nothing. This job - how longs it going to last and what will stop the firm going under?? £2000 a year pay rise, what the **** does that actually equate to in the grand scheme of things - how will it improve your life? Then , next year when the company gets taken over and you are surplus to requirements, was it worth the 2k you got and never saw?

I run a small business and employ a young lad not long out of college. You heard it here first but he won't have a job next month , just can't justify him.

With a new baby, do you want to take that risk buddy? I've got an 8 month old and he is the only reason I haven't beaten a "client "to death.

Stick it out buddy until you have a more secure place to fall - because fall you will. IM me if you want a chat - I hate to see a young man throw away a solid career for the sake of a few extra shekels.

Would some advice from a civvy help? Everyone is a ****, they promise the earth and deliver nothing. This job - how longs it going to last and what will stop the firm going under?? £2000 a year pay rise, what the **** does that actually equate to in the grand scheme of things - how will it improve your life? Then , next year when the company gets taken over and you are surplus to requirements, was it worth the 2k you got and never saw?

I run a small business and employ a young lad not long out of college. You heard it here first but he won't have a job next month , just can't justify him.

With a new baby, do you want to take that risk buddy? I've got an 8 month old and he is the only reason I haven't beaten a "client "to death.

Stick it out buddy until you have a more secure place to fall - because fall you will. IM me if you want a chat - I hate to see a young man throw away a solid career for the sake of a few extra shekels.
Wot he said.
2 grand pay rise is feck all in the grand scheme of things.

Put it like this. In 22 years time do you want to be slaving away in Civvy Street dealing with idiots, or do you want a pension that gives you the financial stability to cherry Pick a half decent job. The Army is not going anywhere and provides that stable platform for you and your family.
Your a private soldier now, in 3 years time you could be a full screw and be earning a shed load more than in some shitty little job in Civvy Street where you can have the rug pulled out from under you in the blink of an eye.
Personally, I think you'll be a complete and utter idiot to be signing off.

How can people not check this out at Unit level

Less than 3 years in you might be on around £22k.

1st year Full Screw £33k

2k a year extra to jump ship or 11k a year extra for getting the nut down and putting in a bit of time and effort.

Give your head a good shake.

Cheers for the reply lads, end of the day it all boils down to me not been happy within the army at the minute. I’ve already decided I’m going to be signing of when I can and just wanted guidance on early release, I completely understand the downfall of taking a job on civvy street but it’s a chance I’m willing to take if shit hits the fan then there’s only myself to blame. Again the feed back is much appreciated.

Rab_C

War Hero
Cheers for the reply lads, end of the day it all boils down to me not been happy within the army at the minute. I’ve already decided I’m going to be signing of when I can and just wanted guidance on early release, I completely understand the downfall of taking a job on civvy street but it’s a chance I’m willing to take if shit hits the fan then there’s only myself to blame. Again the feed back is much appreciated.
I jacked in the RN 4 years before my 22 and a full pension, sometimes you just have to get out. You seem to have a head on your shoulders so if you are genuinely that pissed then I wish you all the best but make sure you really do want to be a civvy.

Mrsheeny

War Hero
In a bit of a shit situation, I’m currently 2 years and 7 months into my service and can sign of in October, I have just bought a house up north and got a child on the way with my fiancé and been offered a job 20 minutes from my home with a £2000 pay rise, I’m currently a private in a non deployable pid, been away on a few courses and do Corps level sport, sorry to bang on but I was just wondering is there any way at all I can get early termination? I don’t want to speak to CoC as I’ve been told I’m likely to pick up when the board comes out so don’t want to ruin it but I’m 90% certain I want to sign off. Cheers for any help.
What’s the new job doing first and foremost?

What cap badge are you?

Are you living in the house you’ve just bought now?

How old are you?

Not playing guess who, just want some more info. If you’re 20 you’ll know nothing about the shit in civvy street, whereas if you’re 30 your eyes are wide open.

jg505

Old-Salt
I was 21 yrs old, just returned to the Sqn at Aldergrove after having 2 weeks leave. Felt really pissed off, wasn't enjoying the RAF at that time so stuck my PVR in. Two days later got a call from the Chf Clk, he didn't know me but had my PVR on his desk. Said I'd just returned from leave and did I really want to PVR? Said he'd hold on to it for a couple of days to let me think.

Sure enough, 2 days later I called him and asked him to shred my PVR. I left the mob, 26 years later, nice pension, which allowed me to work part-time, although I've since fully retired. If I could find that Chf Clk, I'd shake his hand, best bit of "personal management" I was ever afforded in the RAF.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

What’s the new job doing first and foremost?

What cap badge are you?

Are you living in the house you’ve just bought now?

How old are you?

Not playing guess who, just want some more info. If you’re 20 you’ll know nothing about the shit in civvy street, whereas if you’re 30 your eyes are wide open.
I’m in REME I currently live on camp which I think plays a bit of part in it, I’m almost 24 and joined the army when I was 19 I was studying mechanical engineering in college when I got talking to a stripey who was recruiting and went from there. So haven’t really had a lot of dealings with civvy street. I know sound like a young dumb bloke who’s just wanting out but I’m generally not enjoying it at the minute and the job (Mechanical Engineer) seems like a great opportunity. Starting salary of 26k with a rise up too 36k if the placement is complete.

I jacked in the RN 4 years before my 22 and a full pension, sometimes you just have to get out. You seem to have a head on your shoulders so if you are genuinely that pissed then I wish you all the best but make sure you really do want to be a civvy.
Thanks mate, I think I’ve already made my mind up I’m just not sure wether to apply for early release and try my luck or grizz it out until the end of my four years.

Arkanstigger

War Hero
Probably won't help, but the answer is really down to you.

What is the problem? Is it simply the role you're in that's the issue, is it the culture in your Corps, or have you decided that the Army just isn't for you? You really need to take a hard look at yourself and decide what's best for you and your fiancee (and potentially kids in the future).

There may well be shit in civvy street, but there's equally as much shit in the Army. The difference is in civvy street you're not stuck with a crap boss 24/7 and you can always tell him to f**k off and go work somewhere else if your skills are in demand.

You need to weigh the pros and cons, not just how you feel now but what you want from the future.

Mrsheeny

War Hero
I’m in REME I currently live on camp which I think plays a bit of part in it, I’m almost 24 and joined the army when I was 19 I was studying mechanical engineering in college when I got talking to a stripey who was recruiting and went from there. So haven’t really had a lot of dealings with civvy street. I know sound like a young dumb bloke who’s just wanting out but I’m generally not enjoying it at the minute and the job (Mechanical Engineer) seems like a great opportunity. Starting salary of 26k with a rise up too 36k if the placement is complete.
Who’s it working for? Is it fixing cars or as a fitter etc?

I reckon a lot of it will be that you’ve bought a house and want to actually live in it, you’ve got engaged with a baby on the way I can see why you'd be happy as Larry.

But with this comes positive bias, everything in theory will sound like it’s all gravy, you will only think of the positives on the other side of the fence and only the negatives on this side.

I’ve got a toddler, it’s hard, especially if your Mrs hasn’t got people close by to spend time with, to help out etc. So what’s she like with regards : would she move into digs wherever your based? Or is she really close to her mum and not want to leave her etc because once the babies here you’re going to need all the help you can get.

Plus when the baby is here and its 3am when you and your Mrs have bags under your eyes, haven’t slept for months, are arguing all the time, putting on weight, not shagging, hardly seeing your mates etc your going to wish you were still in, I guarantee it.

Is there any way you can stay in the regs but get posted to a reserve unit near to where you live? An RLC unit? Is that possible?

Or to a REME unit. There’s ones in Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle and Scunthorpe. Possibly more.

Last edited:
Lads massively appreciate the advice I’ve been given on here, sounds stupid but I’ve wrote the pros and cons of been in the army on a piece of paper and taking the job and decided the wise move is to stick out the army and give it my all. With the steady income and progression plus the guaranteed work I’ve decided it’s best for not only my self but my family too. Hopefully I pick up my lance jack and get posted out this shit hole so I can actually do my job and get a bit of experience. Again cheers for the reply’s massive help.

Lads massively appreciate the advice I’ve been given on here, sounds stupid but I’ve wrote the pros and cons of been in the army on a piece of paper and taking the job and decided the wise move is to stick out the army and give it my all. With the steady income and progression plus the guaranteed work I’ve decided it’s best for not only my self but my family too. Hopefully I pick up my lance jack and get posted out this shit hole so I can actually do my job and get a bit of experience. Again cheers for the reply’s massive help.
Excellent. It's not about the decision, it's how you've gone about it. Well done.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Latest Threads