Steyr, Why?

#1
As this weeks fetish appears to be the Falklands I was noticing the FIDF use the Styer.

Does anyone know why?

I would love the answer to be something that made sence like they were tested and found to preform better in the South Atlantic than the SA-80, but more likely to be a container full of them washed up in stanley a few years ago and they kept them!
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#5
The Steyr is a very capable assault rifle. And damn, it looks sexy!

Edited to add: Oh, the argies are using it too.
 
#6
Back in the 80s I thought about getting one but they cost about £1400 so I made do with a stainless £480 Mini 14 instead untill they banned it, so I got it de-activated and sold it to a plonker who collected de acs for the same money
 
#7
Horrible, horrible things. They do go bang when asked to though...
 
#8
I believe the FIDF prefered them to the old SA80A1, it was never comapred to the A2 as the FIDF have had these weapons a fair old while now.
 
#9
Crunchie said:
I believe the FIDF prefered them to the old SA80A1, it was never comapred to the A2 as the FIDF have had these weapons a fair old while now.
But why did they get the choice? I assume they are funded by the FI govt rather than the MOD?
 
#10
Shot alongside them once at Bisley.

All their kit was excellent- arktis smocks, lowa boots, bespoke webbing etc (this was 2001 mind).

If i remember correctly they were just given a budget and it was up to them to spend how and when they wanted. Hence the kit and weapon system. They did however have SUSATs on the styers i think.
 
#11
The AUG was somewhat better than the L85A1 when the FIDF ran their procurement, but it is now a distant second place to the A2 and other weapons.

The AUG does not have a particularly good reputation for durability under severe conditions. The Australians have had quite a few problems with their locally made F88 Austeyr version.
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#12
Waldorfmuppet said:
Crunchie said:
I believe the FIDF prefered them to the old SA80A1, it was never comapred to the A2 as the FIDF have had these weapons a fair old while now.
But why did they get the choice? I assume they are funded by the FI govt rather than the MOD?
Correct, but I think they get training/instruction from the RM.
 
#13
whoever gave them the budget forgot to tell them to buy Sa80 with it :twisted:
so like anybody with a brain they brought something else :twisted:
much egg on face of FO but nobody sensible would have brought the a1 given the choice :twisted:
 
#14
Gun_Nut said:
The AUG does not have a particularly good reputation for durability under severe conditions. The Australians have had quite a few problems with their locally made F88 Austeyr version.
As you stated yourself "locally made"
 
S

swampmonster

Guest
#15
Maybe the FIDF found you could stack them better in the middle of your drill hall, as the SA80a1 would be a bugger stack....must be true I saw it on the TV... :D

thought the AUG was a decent wpn..did the FIDF get any of the upgrades ????
 
#16
Waldorfmuppet said:
Crunchie said:
I believe the FIDF prefered them to the old SA80A1, it was never comapred to the A2 as the FIDF have had these weapons a fair old while now.
But why did they get the choice? I assume they are funded by the FI govt rather than the MOD?
ISTR that the FIDF are funded by the FCO. Who, as others have quite rightly pointed out, looked at the A1 and said "no thank you."
 
#17
Worked alongside them on several 'Defence' exercises when the whole military on the island play soldiers.

Always found the FIDF thoroughly professional and very committed. They rated the Steyr better than the A1 (the L1A1 even which was de-rigeur after Op CORPORATE) as it was able to cope with the intense damp down there.

I would be surprised that they abandoned the Optical Sight in favour of the SUSAT, as I understand that the SUSAT is on its way out (certainly in Afghan) in favour of an ACOG derivative.
 
#18
Doesn't the Steyr AUG (bizarrely, given it was developed in landlocked Austria) have 'able to be operated after 30 mins submerged in 'X' depth of water' in its specification?

Could have been a consideration if deploying ashore from small boats in inlets around and about the Falklands.
 
#19
Voltiguer said:
Doesn't the Steyr AUG (bizarrely, given it was developed in landlocked Austria) have 'able to be operated after 30 mins submerged in 'X' depth of water' in its specification?

Could have been a consideration if deploying ashore from small boats in inlets around and about the Falklands.
Rivers, Lakes, Streams and ponds I'm sure Austria has some, and perhaps they thought ahead to possible exports. :D
 
#20
According to an article about the SA-80 written by Pete Bloom RM Colour Sgt. (retired) that I read in 'Handgunner' many years ago, the FIDF conducted a (whisper the word) trial, and when the SA-80 got four times as many stoppages as the Steyr AUG, the decision was made for them.

I could be talking out of my arse, since the F-88 Austeyr is after my time, but I can't help wondering if, as a personal weapon for battalion rifleman, the AUG is rather more weapon than is really necessary.
 

Latest Threads

Top