Steyr, Why?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Waldorfmuppet, Feb 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As this weeks fetish appears to be the Falklands I was noticing the FIDF use the Styer.

Does anyone know why?

I would love the answer to be something that made sence like they were tested and found to preform better in the South Atlantic than the SA-80, but more likely to be a container full of them washed up in stanley a few years ago and they kept them!

2. Steyr goes Bang when trigger pressed?

• Like Like x 1
  3. they saw them on 'modern warfare 2' and thought "ooooh they look nice"

4. I always thought they used the Steyr..... :D

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The Steyr is a very capable assault rifle. And damn, it looks sexy!

Edited to add: Oh, the argies are using it too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Back in the 80s I thought about getting one but they cost about £1400 so I made do with a stainless £480 Mini 14 instead untill they banned it, so I got it de-activated and sold it to a plonker who collected de acs for the same money

7. Horrible, horrible things. They do go bang when asked to though...

8. I believe the FIDF prefered them to the old SA80A1, it was never comapred to the A2 as the FIDF have had these weapons a fair old while now.

9. But why did they get the choice? I assume they are funded by the FI govt rather than the MOD?

10. Shot alongside them once at Bisley.

All their kit was excellent- arktis smocks, lowa boots, bespoke webbing etc (this was 2001 mind).

If i remember correctly they were just given a budget and it was up to them to spend how and when they wanted. Hence the kit and weapon system. They did however have SUSATs on the styers i think.

11. The AUG was somewhat better than the L85A1 when the FIDF ran their procurement, but it is now a distant second place to the A2 and other weapons.

The AUG does not have a particularly good reputation for durability under severe conditions. The Australians have had quite a few problems with their locally made F88 Austeyr version.

12. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Correct, but I think they get training/instruction from the RM.

13. whoever gave them the budget forgot to tell them to buy Sa80 with it :twisted:
    so like anybody with a brain they brought something else :twisted:
    much egg on face of FO but nobody sensible would have brought the a1 given the choice :twisted:

14. As you stated yourself "locally made"

15. Maybe the FIDF found you could stack them better in the middle of your drill hall, as the SA80a1 would be a bugger stack....must be true I saw it on the TV... :D

thought the AUG was a decent wpn..did the FIDF get any of the upgrades ????