Steyr Rifle in Brit service ?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Greener, Oct 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all, my first post !
    I am a member of the Irish Reserve Defence Force, based in Dublin.

As some of you know, we here in Ireland use the Steyr AUG Rifle, which has been in service since 1988 with us.
    Earlier this year I seen a television documentary about the Falklands Conflict, 25 years on. In this, the Current Falklands Islands Defence Force were also using Steyr rifles.
    Now a question for the weapon buffs, why do the FIDF use the Steyr ? Why not use the standard British SA80 ?
    And do any other units in the Brit Forces use the Steyr ?

Picture included of some Irish RDF Recruits - with Steyrs.

Attached Files:

2. Have a search in the mil history forum I'm sure theres an extensive thread on it and the result I think had something to do with cost.
  3. Why is it in photos they always put the shortest person on the lowest piece of ground?
  4. Because it makes for a funny photo.
    Saying that the bird on the end of the back row looks a lot like an ex of mine.
  5. This one? FIDF Link
  6. Is it me, or is there something of the 'airsoft' about that Irish group. No offence! 8O
  7. 8O Hats off to you mate, she's fucking huge! Is she East German?
  8. Big biceps,and the smell of cheap soap is normally a dead give away.
  9. Not really into the Lurch out of the Munster looky-likey more into the Elvin Nymphette with the assault rifle :D
  10. Oh and hello and welcome to ARRSE Greener.
  11. err... which one would that be?
  12. The look of the chap in the front row, second from the right has me worried. Looks to me like he's one prozac away from climbing up a bell tower with his gat.
  13. The one in DPM :D
  14. What the one at the back at the end?She's got a smile like Joey Deacon. :lol:

Edit to add: she's even holding her gat like a finger-sniffer
  15. You can even see where the dribble's wiped off her cam cream...