Steyr Drill Query

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by casper145, Aug 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been challenged to explain why, in rifle drill with the AUG Steyr, is it placed cocking handle down on the command "ground arms"?, as opposed to handle up.
    I believe it may be something to do with remnants of drill from older weapon systems? Just an idea.

Get to it drill fans!
  2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

keeps the shite out of it and also its natural to pick up and use in a hurry - provided you are right handed.

sa80 laid teh same way its just that the cocker is attached to the block
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

as an aside I didnt realise the argies went for the aug. is that why the fidf got them as well? so its easier to integrate the forces after they retake the islands.
  4. The Falklanders had them a long time before the Argies.
  5. *prods memory into action* With the S*R, the teaching was port upwards (during drill lessons) to avoid crud getting into it when grounding arms on a bitumen parade ground. Port downwards (during wpn lessons) so that the position of the safety could be seen at a glance.

Even when the OC decided to spear a DS' rifle into the ground up to the gas plug.
  6. The cocking handle is placed downwards so that the white dot on the safety is visible. This is SOP in Australia, so probably the same over the Tasman Sea.
    The Australian drill manual does not cover grounding arms with Steyr, probably because the weapon is slung.
  7. I smell shite...we teach that when the weapon is laid down the cocking handle, a 'cocker' is a breed of dog, is facing upwards!
  8. The Argies seem to have quite a job lot of small arms. FALs still in service with the army, M16s with the marines, small numbers of HK33s, FNCs, SIG 550 series and FARAs (5.56mm version of FAL) also in use, AUG is according to a very quick search on the net (so don't take it as gospel) mainly used by army jungle and mountain commando coys.