Steyr-AUG in BRITISH use. HKMSC?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by BuggerAll, Jul 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

This is a photo that a friend of mine on Facebook commented on. The poster of the picture is ex-HKMSC. Does anyone know why British soldiers would have been armed with Steyr-AUG? A trial possibly?

Trouble is any trials would have been conducted in the 70's when the SA80 was being worked on and why and these guys are wearing Kevlar lids and why would the HKMSC have been used for a trial?
  2. sure it isnt the oz army?
  3. Although the pix aint these chaps FIDF they do use the Steyr.
  4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Were they DoD funded, or funded by local Govt?

The FIDR are the latter and they plumped for the Steyr-AUG when Whitehall tried to massively overcharge them for the SA80A1.
  5. tru must be the fidf
  6. BuggerAll

The chap who posted the picture on Facebook was HKMSC, the picture certainly looks as if its in HK. The FIDF doesn't have any Chinese soldiers that I am aware of and the Oz army don't usually cut about in British DPM Trops and British helmets and body armour.

HKMSC was part of the British Army buts its soldiers where locally recruited as opposed to the RHKR(V) which was HK Govt Dept functioning like the TA or USARNG with local (and a fair few) expat recruited soldiers.
  7. never seen 1 angry shot about the oz army in vietnam - very british kit all round.

but if you want them to be hkmsc then yes they are hkmsc and your point in starting this thread was?
  8. It wouldn't be an inter-unit exchange visit with New Zealand forces would it?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BuggerAll

I don't want them to be HKMSC, I'm just telling you why I'm pretty sure they are. My curiosity is why they are armed with Steyr-AUG.

BTB I've seen the 'Odd Angry Shot' damn fine film and yes the Oz army did use a lot of British style kit but as far as I know they have never used DPM and they have never used British Kevlar lids.

Does the NZ Army use the AUG? They certainly used to visit HK quite a bit so this could just be guys possing with NZ gats. Could be guys posing with Oz gats but I never heard of Oz army visiting HK - not to say it did not happen.
  10. perhaps oz navy on shoreleave doing some PR?
  11. Yep they do and the above is getting my money on an evens bet!
    NZDF Equipment web page
  12. Might be Malaysia?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. There ain't that many trees in Stanley, and I thought the FIDF used Ruger Mini 14s
  14. There ain't that many trees in Stanley, and I thought the FIDF used Ruger Mini 14s
  15. I think that you mean: "The Odd Angry Shot" and if I remember it, very Australian kit.