Steyr-AUG in BRITISH use. HKMSC?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

This is a photo that a friend of mine on Facebook commented on. The poster of the picture is ex-HKMSC. Does anyone know why British soldiers would have been armed with Steyr-AUG? A trial possibly?

Trouble is any trials would have been conducted in the 70's when the SA80 was being worked on and why and these guys are wearing Kevlar lids and why would the HKMSC have been used for a trial?

Were they DoD funded, or funded by local Govt?

The FIDR are the latter and they plumped for the Steyr-AUG when Whitehall tried to massively overcharge them for the SA80A1.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The chap who posted the picture on Facebook was HKMSC, the picture certainly looks as if its in HK. The FIDF doesn't have any Chinese soldiers that I am aware of and the Oz army don't usually cut about in British DPM Trops and British helmets and body armour.

HKMSC was part of the British Army buts its soldiers where locally recruited as opposed to the RHKR(V) which was HK Govt Dept functioning like the TA or USARNG with local (and a fair few) expat recruited soldiers.

BuggerAll said:
The chap who posted the picture on Facebook was HKMSC, the picture certainly looks as if its in HK. The FIDF doesn't have any Chinese soldiers that I am aware of and the Oz army don't usually cut about in British DPM Trops and British helmets and body armour.

HKMSC was part of the British Army buts its soldiers where locally recruited as opposed to the RHKR(V) which was HK Govt Dept functioning like the TA or USARNG with local (and a fair few) expat recruited soldiers.
never seen 1 angry shot about the oz army in vietnam - very british kit all round.

but if you want them to be hkmsc then yes they are hkmsc and your point in starting this thread was?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
BIPOLAR77 said:
BuggerAll said:

never seen 1 angry shot about the oz army in vietnam - very british kit all round.

but if you want them to be hkmsc then yes they are hkmsc and your point in starting this thread was?
I don't want them to be HKMSC, I'm just telling you why I'm pretty sure they are. My curiosity is why they are armed with Steyr-AUG.

BTB I've seen the 'Odd Angry Shot' damn fine film and yes the Oz army did use a lot of British style kit but as far as I know they have never used DPM and they have never used British Kevlar lids.

Does the NZ Army use the AUG? They certainly used to visit HK quite a bit so this could just be guys possing with NZ gats. Could be guys posing with Oz gats but I never heard of Oz army visiting HK - not to say it did not happen.

tiger stacker said:
Although the pix aint these chaps FIDF they do use the Steyr.
There ain't that many trees in Stanley, and I thought the FIDF used Ruger Mini 14s

tiger stacker said:
There ain't that many trees in Stanley, and I thought the FIDF used Ruger Mini 14s

tropper66 said:
tiger stacker said:
In '99 I visited the falklands through work and I saw the Falkland Island defence force setting off for an Exercise with Steyr Aug. Fattest bloke I ever saw in a Uniform was with them.

looks like the arse end of the snapper kennels to me! high fences to stop the woofers jumping over!! and the reason why the handlers are in mix dress and some carry batons! it has dog section written all over the picture! plus the shield leaning against the post !! bring on a riot!! wooof wooof !!!

Sinner251 said:
In '99 I visited the falklands through work and I saw the Falkland Island defence force setting off for an Exercise with Steyr Aug. Fattest bloke I ever saw in a Uniform was with them.
Obviously you're not in to airsoft in that case

My bets are on NZ Army.The surroundings look quite "New Zealandic" also.
NZ DPM is almost identical to the British one,right?
Then again,looking at the faces and the height of the men,they're probably HK as mentioned before. :?: