Sterling Vs Euro

What the hell is going on now, been watching it all week now at 1.13853 from XE.com going steadly down the pan, at this rate we will below the 1:1 rate before Christmas

Can someone explain what is going wrong, since some of the PIIGS where starting to buckle last week ?

Interest rates for Sterling will remain low for several months, thus money markets want to invest in higher interest loans. Add the scares of a double-dip recession in the UK, falling house prices, reduced lending to companies and all is not rosy.

Personally I would love it if Sterling went to 0.5EUR...

...but then I'm paid in Euros!

Alsacien

MIA
What the hell is going on now, been watching it all week now at 1.13853 from XE.com going steadly down the pan, at this rate we will below the 1:1 rate before Christmas

Can someone explain what is going wrong, since some of the PIIGS where starting to buckle last week ?
I noticed the financial wizards forecasting Euro doom this year have been rather quiet of late. ;-)

Why do you think something has gone wrong? Markets go up and down - but they are always right. At the end of the day Ireland and Greece are just a tiny fraction of the European economy, and folks need to be objective when comparing news headlines.

I said a few months back that if Sterling reached 1.25 I would cash in Sterling assets for Euros - it did'nt make it, peaking at just below 1.24 so I still have too much in Sterling right now. Nobody (except a couple of mongs on here) thought it had the legs to really creep up in value into the 30's - especially with more stimulus to be gained by keeping it low.
But I did not expect to see a sustained drop below the high teens.
I think the Euro will be dropping again before year end - but now there are question marks against the $ and Sterling, so you need to watch other indicators. The obvious CHF and Yen are also on a weird curve, so you could give yourself a headache quite easily.
Sterling is for sure 20% undervalued against the Euro - but as to exactly when it will make that up is anyones guess, and it certainly will not be linear as everyone is too jumpy.