Stepdaughter help NAVY only.. no spammers

Stan_Deesey

Old-Salt
Agree regarding URNU but (my bold) really?

It´s just my thinking, but after spending three or four years at university at great cost to herself, (how much is it now?), why would she then apply for a job that she would be massively overqualified for? That´s only my opinion though, and it´s up to her.

I didn´t meet very many graduates on the lower deck when I was in the mob. I can only remember two. One of them had a degree in something sporty, yet he was a radio operator. The other one had a degree in marine biology or zoology and he was planning on becoming an SD officer, but he failed Part Three training and was discharged SNLR.

I´m going back thirty years though, so I´ll understand if attitudes have changed.

BoxKickerSubs

Old-Salt
Interesting - thank you. Someone once told me that submarines are quite often driven by chefs and the like - I guess there could be grain of truth in that too.

Apologies to the OP for thread diversion.
Caterers (senior rate ie SGT or above) yes. Cabbage slicers hell no, but stewards yes they do drive submarines.

BobbHope

War Hero
It´s just my thinking, but after spending three or four years at university at great cost to herself, (how much is it now?), why would she then apply for a job that she would be massively overqualified for? That´s only my opinion though, and it´s up to her.

I didn´t meet very many graduates on the lower deck when I was in the mob. I can only remember two. One of them had a degree in something sporty, yet he was a radio operator. The other one had a degree in marine biology or zoology and he was planning on becoming an SD officer, but he failed Part Three training and was discharged SNLR.

I´m going back thirty years though, so I´ll understand if attitudes have changed.

We are probably of the same generation and I agree that a degree was something of a rarity in the lower decks but I believe that there may be more educational mobility throughout society now. The modern RN needs highly educated personnel. If the young lady studied for a worthwhile degree she increases her options. Join as a PTI (at around 21 or 22 years old), enjoy the life experience and then further down the line she is educationally qualified as an Officer (although a degree is not necessary in all disciplines) and/or move on to a civilian career having achieved her military ambitions above or below decks.

The RN doesn’t have PT Officers, per se, any more. Most PTIs who go Officer become Logs Officers, although some become Warfare Officers.

Frankly, the PT Branch was pretty lucky to survive the last round of inquisition, especially noting Ravers’ comments about what they do shoreside.

The RN doesn’t have PT Officers, per se, any more. Most PTIs who go Officer become Logs Officers, although some become Warfare Officers.

Frankly, the PT Branch was pretty lucky to survive the last round of inquisition, especially noting Ravers’ comments about what they do shoreside.
I remember 'way back when' ..when field gun was a thing- there used to be people in "club swinger cliques"- their service life revolved around various sporting activities. They were always off doing something or other and...ended up shit in their source branch. They were still regarded as blue-eyed boys though as having a boxing champ or field gunner on the ship's company was maybe a good reflection on the command??
Is this sort of thing still a thing? Although I know there's no field gun anymore...is Brickwoods still running?
To be honest- I cant say I recall ever knowing a clubswinger I, or anyone else considered a knob. Maybe they filter those sorts out at Temeraire.

You will also be very aware of how, when Wimbledon season starts, whole wardrooms can be seen cutting through Drake with jumpers casually over their shoulders brandishing tennis raquets. I recall an instance of one officer, whilst we were in defence watches down the gulf-asking the clubz if he could cater for those with an interest in tennis whilst at sea. I think enquiries were made into obtaining a ping pong table from stores or something.

Stan_Deesey

Old-Salt
I remember 'way back when' ..when field gun was a thing- there used to be people in "club swinger cliques"- their service life revolved around various sporting activities. They were always off doing something or other and...ended up shit in their source branch. They were still regarded as blue-eyed boys though as having a boxing champ or field gunner on the ship's company was maybe a good reflection on the command??
Is this sort of thing still a thing? Although I know there's no field gun anymore...is Brickwoods still running?
To be honest- I cant say I recall ever knowing a clubswinger I, or anyone else considered a knob. Maybe they filter those sorts out at Temeraire.

You will also be very aware of how, when Wimbledon season starts, whole wardrooms can be seen cutting through Drake with jumpers casually over their shoulders brandishing tennis raquets. I recall an instance of one officer, whilst we were in defence watches down the gulf-asking the clubz if he could cater for those with an interest in tennis whilst at sea. I think enquiries were made into obtaining a ping pong table from stores or something.

Yes, I remember some of those people! There were always at least two or three of them in orbit around the ship´s clubswinger whenever he appeared: usually dabbers, but sometimes one or two stokers. Some of them had ambitions of branch changing to PTI.

They tended to hang out in the weights room that the stokers had set up in a machinery space when they were off-watch, and they used hairdryers before going ashore. One of them did supervise circuit training on the flight deck the few times we did that, as the clubswinger sloped the job off onto him, and this dude did end up becoming a PTI himself.

Stan_Deesey

Old-Salt
We are probably of the same generation and I agree that a degree was something of a rarity in the lower decks but I believe that there may be more educational mobility throughout society now. The modern RN needs highly educated personnel. If the young lady studied for a worthwhile degree she increases her options. Join as a PTI (at around 21 or 22 years old), enjoy the life experience and then further down the line she is educationally qualified as an Officer (although a degree is not necessary in all disciplines) and/or move on to a civilian career having achieved her military ambitions above or below decks.

Bobb, were you ever actually in the Navy?

I agree with your point about there probably being more educational mobility in society these days.
At the end of the day, it´s up to the young lady to choose what she wants to do, and to seek advice from people more qualified than us to give it.

Stan_Deesey

Old-Salt
I

During shore time they are employed in a gym on a base. That’s basically it. It’s largely the same as working in a civvy gym but with more shouting. They may also organise adventurous training expeditions such as canoeing, mountain biking etc.

Hey Ravers, I think you did PTIs a disservice with this comment.

If a PTI is on a training establishment then he or she would have a lot to do. I would liken it more to being a PE teacher at a school - but with more shouting. I remember the PT staff when I did my Part 2 and 3 training as an outstanding bunch of people, and the sports centre was open from early morning until late in the evening with always something going on.

Every Wednesday afternoon they endeavoured to teach us trainees a new sport. They seemed to be able to coach and referee any sport - they even had us playing Aussie Rules Football one afternoon. The sports centre was open every weekend with a duty PTI to sort out any problems, and there were often sports events at weekends which they had to oversee.

Adventurous training expeditions? Yeah, I´ll agree: even on a couple of bases where the PTIs weren´t much in evidence I managed to do canoeing, hiking, caving and horse-riding, and this was all because a PTI was motivated enough to run the courses or organise an exped.

It was the PTIs role at sea that I couldn´t understand. I didn´t even know that PTIs served at sea until I joined my first ship, and saw the PTI onboard, and I wondered why he was there. When I left the ship two and a half years later I still didn´t know why. He hadn´t seemed to have done much other than posing, and the few sports activities I had taken part in had been organised by other people in the crew. The only time I saw him working was when he was on the wheel during action stations. I even once heard the MAA say that the PTI´s existence onboard was a mystery to him.

From what you wrote though, it seems like the RN has since found tasks for it´s shipboard PTIs to do, so all´s well that ends well :)

BobbHope

War Hero
Bobb, were you ever actually in the Navy?

I agree with your point about there probably being more educational mobility in society these days.
At the end of the day, it´s up to the young lady to choose what she wants to do, and to seek advice from people more qualified than us to give it.
Thirty one years and six months young man. You?

I'm pleased that you agree with my comments.

Stan_Deesey

Old-Salt
Thirty one years and six months young man. You?

I'm pleased that you agree with my comments.

Mornin´ Bobb,

Seven years and a few days, - barely a dogwatch!

I was thinking last night, that going by your comments you were either a never-served civvie, or someone who had been in a long time, so one of my guesses was correct.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Some of the matelots are pretty fit.

1611742765316.png

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Dunno if you’ve noticed those two massive aircraft carriers we got recently?

Even as a reservist I’ve been to 7 countries in the past 4 years. Cyprus, Oman, UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, Hong Kong, Japan.

.....and as a Reservist 30 years ago I went to Denmark, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Korea and Japan.

Used to laugh when TA mates got all excited about going to ..er....' Germany....maybe Cyprus if we're really lucky '

I think the Army Reserve are a bit more integrated today, and might get a U.S trip in from time to time.
But there is no comparison between the Army and the RN when it comes to foreign travel.

Given that @Ninja_Stoker used to work in an RN Careers office, surprised not to see any input from him here.

.....and as a Reservist 30 years ago I went to Denmark, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Korea and Japan.
I'm jealous.

Germany*, Gibraltar*, Cyprus (Akrotiri)*, Cyprus (UN Nicosia), Cyprus (Troodos) x2, Naples, Hong Kong, Ascension*, Falklands*, Berlin (April 1990), Iraq, Kuwait.
*more than 3 times

In UK? Thetford twice, Catterick once, Weymouth once.

Now back on thread...

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
If she's only 15 then she has time on her side to keep a eye on how undergraduate degrees are a pathway to anything over the next few years. As someome working in HE, the current learning experience is so fragmented, and job prospects so uncertain, that I think it would be wise to see if/how it recovers after the pandemic before deciding if it is right for her.

There are a lot of kids jacking it because it's £9k for a shit experience at present, and likewise, plenty of grads are now going into post-grad courses for a couple of years in hope that the job market picks up over that period.

Likewise, job prospects outside of Govt service for 16 - 18 y/o are going to be interesting for a year or two yet.

BobbHope

War Hero
If she's only 15 then she has time on her side to keep a eye on how undergraduate degrees are a pathway to anything over the next few years. As someome working in HE, the current learning experience is so fragmented, and job prospects so uncertain, that I think it would be wise to see if/how it recovers after the pandemic before deciding if it is right for her.

There are a lot of kids jacking it because it's £9k for a shit experience at present, and likewise, plenty of grads are now going into post-grad courses for a couple of years in hope that the job market picks up over that period.

Likewise, job prospects outside of Govt service for 16 - 18 y/o are going to be interesting for a year or two yet.

A valid point and perhaps a reason to join up at 18. I understand that Collingwood has now opened up as a Part I training establishment to cope with increased recruitment. However, the opportunity for a good degree should not be under estimated.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm jealous.

Germany*, Gibraltar*, Cyprus (Akrotiri)*, Cyprus (UN Nicosia), Cyprus (Troodos) x2, Naples, Hong Kong, Ascension*, Falklands*, Berlin (April 1990), Iraq, Kuwait.
*more than 3 times

In UK? Thetford twice, Catterick once, Weymouth once.

Now back on thread...

As a TA soldier?

GingerNavs

Clanker
A valid point and perhaps a reason to join up at 18. I understand that Collingwood has now opened up as a Part I training establishment to cope with increased recruitment. However, the opportunity for a good degree should not be under estimated.
It is quite probable that with all the accreditation that the RN's training seems to attractshe may end up with a degree anyway. I don't know for certain about clubswingers but survey ratings can end up with a BSc once they are Senior Rates.