Steel Helmets - worth anything?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by EX_STAB, May 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone kow whether wartime dated (1941) British steel helmets are of any value? I've seen one for sale, complete but with the paint finish gone to rust.
    There was the later type for sale too (The sort I got in 1987!). They were cheap so I wondered if they're collectable at all.
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I suppose the soup bowl shrapnel lids are worth more than the 1944 pattern but if they are cheap then hang on to them until the value goes up. You'll know when that is, thats when reproductions are fetching £100 each! Be a long time yet mate. Does fidget mind you turning the house into Steptoes?
  3. You've seen the pictures then!
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I've been watching the first 3 series on dvd whilst commuting. I bought a decent laptop and also found an autoroute/gps package that turns your laptop into a gps, I may get it but I tend to rely on OS maps.
  5. The old Tommy helmets average out at about £10 - £20 depending on condition. I have seen them priced around £30 in some places. The 44 Pattern "Tin Tobies" You can pick up for around £3 - £35 (if you really want one!) One of my mates bought a 1970's toby complete with scrim and cam for me to wear down the local for the night as a dare. At the end of the evening it was presented to me (chucked it in the corner of the shed where it still is) - Found out later it cost him £40 ! :roll:
  6. Thanks for that. I'll leave them on the shelf.