Stealth Fighter retires at 25

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Ord_Sgt, Dec 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP RIP

More here

I still think of it as slightly futuristic somehow... Does that make you feel old or what 8O

2. the wobbly goblin.

they only made a production run of 60,
    lost one or two on ops and a few in training, and the wing fell off one at Farnborough air show whilst pulling a measly 4G maneuver.
    there plobly not that many left in decent condition for service in enough numbers to justify the costs.
    god knows why they called it a fighter with an F suffix instead of an A for attack, as it can only carry bombs.
    with the aerodynamics of a tin of baked beans, it flew like a brick, at a subsonic speed with not that much of a range.
    it was ok for use against 3rd world nations with old kit, but the latest radars can detect the wake vortex that all aircraft leave behind.

3. SamCaine

SamCaine War Hero

25 is a pretty good run for an aircraft of it's era IMHO. Bear in mind that for all of its development and a fair part of its early service it was almost a figment of peoples' imagination.

I have to agree with you, I also think of it as futuristic. Its main drawback being its low observability was entirely radar-based and wasn't at all low-observible in daylight, which is where the technology used in the F-22 and JSF programmes are aimed. Time will tell how effective this is.

4. Browno

Browno Crow

Wasnt the F-117 roumoured as the 'F-19'?

5. Is that the Farnborough near Baltimore, Maryland, USA? :roll:

6. EX_STAB

EX_STAB LE

Not great compared with
    [​IMG]
    In service May 1951 - June 2006 55 years!

25 years ago we were still waiting for Tornado to come into service (ISD 1982) and I think that'll be in service a good while yet.

I think that F117 probably wasn't actually all that good or useful as others have suggested. It was pioneering but had no day capability - I've heard it said that a Piston engined 1940s fighter could take one on with confidence in daylight.

7. oops, sry, had my mind on two things while typing,

i bend over for my slap.

8. "it was ok for use against 3rd world nations with old kit"

Bit like Martinis against assagis.
    john
    I understand they lost one in one of the Yugo wars, when an enterprising OC air defence 'worked out' how to track one in a special situation.
    Good aircraft look forward to 'seeing' it's succsessor.

9. press_it

press_it War Hero

I read that was the Kosovo campaign wasn't it? a MIG-29 Fulcrum was in the right place at the right time & got a visual on the F-117.
    the serbs gave most of the wreckage to the Russians I belieave. some parts are in a museum in Serbia (belgrade?), I remember seeing s photo of the F-117 canopy in it.

10. I think the B52 out does the Canberra by about twelve months?

11. B-52 Maiden flight 15 April 1952, In service 1955
    Canberra Maiden flight 13 May 1949, In service 1951

The rate the B-52 is going, it will out live it.

12. Yeah ok my maths was a bit pants.... I reckon the B-52 will be around another couple of decades.

13. press_it

press_it War Hero

interesting pics. the septics should have droped a cluster bomb or two on the crash site.