Stealing a tank

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think @Ravers posted a dit years ago about some drunken matelot stealing a steam roller and driving it around the dockyard whilst fkd. There was a pic from the logbook too.

Awesome.
C25E67C6-4CCD-4C0C-9F20-CE04162334C4.jpeg

Truxx

LE
Having operated a sream roller many times I can say with a high degree of certainty that it takes at least 2 hours to raise enough pressure for the thing to move. And that is using top quality Welsh racing coal.

Road/diesel roller a bit different.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
It wasn’t fun watching the Monkies cleaning up the mess this made.
1 Green Howards. 12 Armd Wksp shared Mercer Bks. I joined a few months after this, just before Christmas 82.

Christmas 83. New OC. His father had been killed by a drunk driver. As part of his personal anti drink drive campaign, he got the whole workshop in for a briefing by the RMP major who'd attended. Major described in vivid detail the smell of alcohol and raw meat.

Still didn't stop them. I got used to administering Craftsmen who'd recently been NCOs. The major took no prisoners.

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Why haven't we had an answer to my question? Do you know what is the rack can etc?
Yes we know but we don't really care. It was a poky metal rod in the Rarden gun mechanism. Long name for a small part. Like a Screw retaining cocking link cover plate on the Scorpion breech.

Last edited:
I wasn’t in the Regt then, but around 1975 when 2RTR were in Swinton Barracks Munster, on Cambrai day which is a pretty raucous affair. Apart from frightening the crap out of the Royal Hampshire’s guard with shemolies, some of the lads decided to nick one of 4RTRs Chieftains! They got it to our Tank park and painted it bright saffron gold. A few lads got a couple of weeks in the Regimental nick.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
TBH I'm pretty sure all these stolen tank stories are in either the RAC or the Old n' bold forums.

I can recall several incidents of Brits, GIs and Bundeswehr drunks nicking armoured vehicles and leaving trails of destruction in their wakes as they went for a drive round the stadtmitte.

Latest Threads