• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Steal Beasts Pro PE

Hi Guys
this is my first post on this forum so a big hello to everyone on here.
The main reason I'm posting on here is to ask all you ex Cav/Tankies are there any enthusiastic Simers/Gamers on here? It would be reasonable to expect ex RAC, IT users, as you all must be in order to read this, to be maybe interested in AFV simulation. I've been playing a Sim called Steel Beasts Pro PE for the last 8 months and am totally convinced its the dogs bollocks as far as Armoured sims go. Its not really a game but an adaptation of real millitary software made available for the public. It has its own gaming community and is not cheap, £75.00. This limits the amount of idiots that purchase it.

If your interested please follow the link below.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/

Your comments are invited.

IH

£75!!! Do i get a real tank in the post for that, whats an AVF simulation? and for £75 im sure most IT Tankies have subscriptions to Horses-r-us for less

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Been aware of Steel Beasts for a year or more. It's been discussed in these forums before now and I don't think your opinions are that far from anybody else's.

Personally, I wouldn't pay that for a game, even if it isn't really a game.

There has been talk that the MOD get uptight about releasing specs of our kit and that's why (apparently) there is no British gear in the "game", though I understand that might be changing.

Have to say I'd far rather have a bash as SB than COD or MOHAA, which are primarily puddle-jumping games with no clue about armour.

But I am a Luddite and always last onto a bandwagon, so I'll be last onto SB when the price comes down a lot more (though I did understand that it was selling for about GBP120 a year ago, so who knows?)

Will it work in my shed? I've been looking for something to replace my Aquillina sim for some time now. PS Anyone know where I can get some replacement BTR 60PB silhouettes from?

Thanks for your comments so far.
It is obviously not an aquiliner GTS, I wouldnt pay 20p for one of those. If you forget the actual physical surroundings, ie youre are not inside a turret but in front of youre pc at home. Its better than the Multi million pound CATT simulators. Lets face it when youve got your mug tight up against the sight not much else is important apart from aquiring the target. As for there being no British equipment that didnt stop whole Battlegroups deploying down to Graffewher pre CATT days. If enough squaddies start to play/buy and shout about this, the procurment boys might start to take notice. The New Zealanders and Australian Armoured Corps guys are getting this issued free of charge allbeit in a LAN only version.

Im sorry if this has all been previously discuused if anyone has a link to those posts I would be gratefull.

IH

the_butler said:
DO THEY DO ANY OFFICERS MESS DRINKS TROLLY ADD ONS
Not as such, crap crosscountry performance see?
I believe there is a move afoot to produce a belt fed cocktail stick dispenser addon.

You would have to watch out for peoples eyes mind.

Well, I'm pretty sure if somebody already owns this game :wink: , and they just wanted to get a back-up copy, they could always search for a steel beasts pro torrent on google :D

amazing__lobster said:
Well, I'm pretty sure if somebody already owns this game :wink: , and they just wanted to get a back-up copy, they could always search for a steel beasts pro torrent on google :D
only 26 people are sharing it at the mo (emule) :roll:

tankie got a prezzie for ya

AlienFTM said:
Been aware of Steel Beasts for a year or more. It's been discussed in these forums before now and I don't think your opinions are that far from anybody else's.

Personally, I wouldn't pay that for a game, even if it isn't really a game.

There has been talk that the MOD get uptight about releasing specs of our kit and that's why (apparently) there is no British gear in the "game", though I understand that might be changing.

Have to say I'd far rather have a bash as SB than COD or MOHAA, which are primarily puddle-jumping games with no clue about armour.

But I am a Luddite and always last onto a bandwagon, so I'll be last onto SB when the price comes down a lot more (though I did understand that it was selling for about GBP120 a year ago, so who knows?)
It is a lot of money, Id be the first to admit that. Personally, for someone who wants a cheap Tanksim, you would be well advised to get a copy of Steel Beast Gold off Ebay, which you can probably get for a Tenner these days. It looks very dated , but the gunnery model is watertight, and the map editor and scenario designer give a good impression of the features in SB pro PE. Also, there is a plan to release a slightly cut down version as a proper game called SB2. Thats an uncertain timeline at the moment, but its probably going to be for sale at a price similar to other sims at the moment. There is even a free demo of the old SB1 available online somewhere.

I loved Operation Flashpoint and PUKF have done some excellent work for it. In fact in Urban fights, despite the new addons for Steelbeasts, I think Operation Flashpoint still has much to offer. But I think its unfair to compare the 2 really. Operation Flashpoint was designed as an Infantry sim, whereas Steel Beasts was designed primarily as a Tank Sim. There is room for both. In fact, I would hope PUKF keep an eye on this sim. The developers said a while ago they were trying to impliment tools which make importation of other vehicles much easier, and if thats done, I think a few Landrover WMIKs would be very useful at some point.

Lastly, If anyone has a copy of Steel Beast pro, feel free to download a copy of the Salisbury plain map on Steelbeasts.com. Its free to download, and covers most of the terrain between Warminster and Ludgerhall, including Tidworth, Bulford, Amesbury Copehill Down and Imber. The updated version is due out at the end of the year. The author of it is a bit of a nutter if you ask me....

Hopefully PUKF will be doing even more stuff for the new Armed Assault game, know there's a lot in the pipeline ;)

Also sure they won't forget the people stuck playing flashpoint :)

amazing__lobster said:
There is no copy protection on the software or on the CD. This is deliberate, it means that if you go and scratch or the dog eats your CDs, you can have back-ups already made, or at worst, just download another copy. Neither is there mucking around with online activation or serial codes. The protection is carried out by means of a USB dongle. (Key, if you will).

PartTimePongo said:
I think Californian Tanker (M1A2 Cav) has discussed Steel Beasts with enthusiasm before
I'm an M1A1 type. Which is fine, as that's the tank which is modelled. I am probably not the leased biased person in the world as I am fairly heavily involved with its development as a subject-matter-expert. However, I will say that the sim is good enough that I have been pushing for its adoption by the US military at large, as about a dozen other countries have already done, as either a gunnery simulator or as a tactical trainer.

tankieboy said:
Operation Flashpoint is far better IMHO. And they have Brit kit via PUKF addon team.
Apples and oranges comparison. OF is a pathetic tank simulator. It may be fine as a first-person shooter, but anything tank-related is pretty generic.

NTM

California_Tanker said:
amazing__lobster said:
There is no copy protection on the software or on the CD. This is deliberate, it means that if you go and scratch or the dog eats your CDs, you can have back-ups already made, or at worst, just download another copy. Neither is there mucking around with online activation or serial codes. The protection is carried out by means of a USB dongle. (Key, if you will).

PartTimePongo said:
I think Californian Tanker (M1A2 Cav) has discussed Steel Beasts with enthusiasm before
I'm an M1A1 type. Which is fine, as that's the tank which is modelled. I am probably not the leased biased person in the world as I am fairly heavily involved with its development as a subject-matter-expert. However, I will say that the sim is good enough that I have been pushing for its adoption by the US military at large, as about a dozen other countries have already done, as either a gunnery simulator or as a tactical trainer.

tankieboy said:
Operation Flashpoint is far better IMHO. And they have Brit kit via PUKF addon team.
Apples and oranges comparison. OF is a pathetic tank simulator. It may be fine as a first-person shooter, but anything tank-related is pretty generic.

NTM
I think for infantry work, it could (and has been) very useful as an infantry trainer. But as far as armour is concerned, I think even the Operation Flashpoint fan would have to admit that its overly simplified. Shoot a tank enough times with an M16 and you will kill it. 8O Not only that, but I found the mission editor difficult to use, and the Map editor was non existant when I was playing it. The easy modablity of it cannot hide the fact that it cannot simulate anything more complicated than a Landrover WMIK without massive simplifications.

As far as modern tank sims are concerned, Steel Beasts is pretty much the only one that has any realism, at least as far as the home computer is concerned. Im sure CATT has some advantages.

IrishHussar said:
Hi Guys
this is my first post on this forum so a big hello to everyone on here.
The main reason I'm posting on here is to ask all you ex Cav/Tankies are there any enthusiastic Simers/Gamers on here? It would be reasonable to expect ex RAC, IT users, as you all must be in order to read this, to be maybe interested in AFV simulation. I've been playing a Sim called Steel Beasts Pro PE for the last 8 months and am totally convinced its the dogs balls as far as Armoured sims go. Its not really a game but an adaptation of real millitary software made available for the public. It has its own gaming community and is not cheap, £75.00. This limits the amount of idiots that purchase it.

If your interested please follow the link below.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/

Your comments are invited.

IH
Hello my little tubby pal :D 8)

Latest Threads