Staying in London.

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Jethro, Aug 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am planning on going to London for 3 or 4 days in October with the wife and kids. Can anyone recommend anywhere cheap, cheerful and clean to stay please?.

Cheapest so far is Travel lodge, I think, for a family room. I have not got a problem with staying at a Travel lodge, just wondered if anyone knew of any other options, not bothered about the location too much as long as it is near to a tube.

Thanks in advance

2. The Union Jack Club is as cheap and cheerful as you can get for serving and ex serving people. The rooms are clean and comfortable and it is near to tubes, railway station (Waterloo), the London Eye and many other attractions. It is usually cheaper than many hotels in London.
  3. beat me to it, and there is a cracking thai place round the corner called Thai silk restaurant, the scoff is A1.
  4. Thai Silk closed a while back and is now an Indian/Bangladeshi place called Bangalore - good food though. If staying at UJC - eat breakfast at the Madeira Cafe on Cornwall St...just a few steps from the UJC is cheaper than UJC.
  5. If you do decide to stay at a Travelodge don't stay at the London Docklands one. It's well out of the way and the DLR isn't the best.

I think there's one in the old city hall building near Westminster Bridge.
  6. Try this about a month before you want to go:

Rates To Go
  7. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

£105 for a family room - very nice hotel, spotlessly clean, brilliant breakfast, 3 mins from tube (district line), free wifi.
  8. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

If you aren't that bothered where you stay go on a couple of nights before you go. They have loads of unsold rooms at top hotels really cheap. Me and the missus got a room at a 5 star place for under £70.
  9. Jethro

As you are proberbly aware the qulaity of hotels in London is variable at best, there a vast gulf between the four star hotels (some of those aren't very good) and the budget/tourist hotels, some of which are very like hostals.

The Travel Inn at County Hall (next to London Eye) is as good as anywhere if you are taking your family, all the rooms are of a good size, clean, serviceable and its in a good location for doing the sites. More can be said for a lot of hotels in London which I have paid twice as much for, also you may save a pounds by booking a tourist/budget hotel but you do take a chance on its qulaity and location.

If you are lucky they may bump (double booking) you to the ajoining Marriot as they did for me serval years ago.

I understand the UJ is very good also, I used prefer the location of the Travel Inn, closer to the Nurses accomdation :twisted:

10. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Can't believe you're all missing the Victory Services Club - very central, pretty good, if basic, accomodation.VSC

Handy for the West End (right by Marble Arch, west end of Oxford St)
  11. UJ Club every time for me, whether working or pleasure. :D Have stayed in the Travelodge at Covent Garden and it's fine but the beer is far more expensive! It's also full to the brim with tourists, normally from the other side of the pond and they all missed the class which deals with "how to form a queue"! :twisted:

Little bleeders kept pushing in until another guy stuck a foot out (accidentally) and one of the bugxers went arrse over t1t with his egg banjo! :clap:

I agree with Tommyhutch that the Travelodge at Farringdon is crap, more tourists from the same place in the universe.
  12. bugger!! then again it was about 2 years ago since i was last there. bloody good scoff there aswell :x
  13. Agreed thread I know (sorry! :D ) have you been to the Kings Arms on Roupell St? (again just round the corner from UJC)....they do Thai food...don't eat there often but the Duck Curry is fab!

ok...back to accommodation.....would agree with the Victory Services's where my parents stay whenever they are in town...not sure about costs though
  14. can't believe that no one has mentioned the UNION JACK CLUB!!

its class and you'll be amongst your own

Bill A