Stay in education or get some work experience?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Hide'n'Seek, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now that I've decided to wait a year before re-applying do you think staying at uni for a PhD would be valued more over a years worth of work experience?

I've never had a job so I'm kind of worried that although I'll have a good educational background I have no work experience whatsoever.

2. With your two passports you could do two courses - - double the chances of passing - I'm sure a man of you calibre could do a PHD in a year even though you'll have to fit in your MI5 and Mossad duties as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. -_- I'm just finishing up my masters this year and a PhD usually takes around 2 years to obtain but hopefully I can manage it in 1 year, and no I do not own 2 passports. Can you just drop that old thread :/
  4. Are you suffering from some form of attention deficit?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

A PhD in a year? You have to be joking. Go and get some experience in the real world or you're going to look like a perpetual student by the time you actually get round to applying.
  6. Just watch as this shit takes off. Can someone bin it?
  7. PhD in a year?

Dream on.
  8. It sounds like you are on an educational roll. I'd stick with it, even if it takes you longer than a year. It's a simple fact! The more educational qualifications that you have, the more doors that will be open to you and of course, you will go much further over the course of your whole life.
  9. People clever enough to do a PhD in a year end up in rather sticky circumstances in North Face duffel bags, don't they?
  10. Whatever happened to the days when you could make a post on a forum, get some feedback, leave and carry on your business. I'm sorry I don't need to justify myself to any of you and this may be hard to believe, but not everyone struggles as much as you lot to learn something. Especially when they have been studying it since they were 12.

I've been programming for almost 10 years and in that time I've learnt an insane amount about maths, electronics and networking along the way.

Bin the thread I've already had help via a PM. Thanks for the advice.
  11. Yes, you've done a tremendous out of networking on this site haven't you!! Throbber.
  12. WHy the **** waste your time with the Army then?

13. We can only hope .......The OP will need two sports bags though - one for each personality
  14. Of course a PhD is worth more than a years work experience. A whole lot more. But, as others have pointed out, completing a doctorate is going to take a serious amount of both time and commitment.

Expect three years as a minimum. If it is worth doing it'll be funded in some way, and if my sons experience is typical, there are three years of formal funding at about £17,000 per year with a funded extension of a further six months. At least those were the figures three years and six months ago when he started it....

If you are capable of doing a PhD, then do so - assuming you have applied for and got a paid funded PhD position. If you have to pay for it yourself, then you are probably not capable of success. And if you feel the need to seek advice on here there's a good chance you aren't...
  15. The reason why I want to join the Army is because it's my dream to give something back to my country. I want to dedicate my life to help protect this countries intrests and it's people. This may seem a bit philosophical to most of you but I feel really strongly about it. I have considered MI5/6 too but if I choose to study a PhD I'll be able to get sponsorship from them, that's even if they accept me.

On the flip-side a career as an Army Officer is pretty much guaranteed.... I'm coming here for advice because I thought most of you were officers and would be able to point me in the right direction in terms of what's worth doing and what isn't.

So far it seems clear that going for a PhD will not directly affect any kind of promotional benefits, pay increase or increase my chances of success. I think a masters is more than suffient. Also the unique skills I have computer related would be put to much better use in a military enviroment.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.