Statisticians Calculate Probability Of Another 9/11 Attack

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Canader, Sep 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Stats are great! 9 out of 10 people enjoy gangrape.

Gen up!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. You mean they tossed a coin?

3. Surely that's impossible. I distinctly remember both towers dissapearing in a cloud of dust.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. I do like the way claims are made in the article

Statisticians Calculate Probability Of Another 9/11 Attack - Technology Review

So statisticians have saved lives by pointing out that there has been a history of earthquakes in Japan and other areas in the earthquake belt, Then suggested that you might want to build accordingly. They got the heights of the sunami wrong for the Japanese earthquake, hence all the fuss with the nuclear power station.

Like economists and climate change scientists, they are great at pointing out the bleeding obvious, but not so good at predicting/guessing what will actually happen, and where, and how much. Especially if it happens somewhere unexpected.

But by the cringe, isn't there hindsight 20/20?

I predict famine in Africa this year, due to poor rainfall and unexpected crop failures exacerbated by civil unrest.

They didn't predict the tube bombings, or any similar event, or Norway. Professional guessers.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 50/50 is a pretty crap guess, everything exists in the 50/50 state until we observe it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I think it's around about 100% certain that some statiscian will come up with some more dguess work within the next 5 weeks
  7. 80% of statistics are made up...
  8. Percentage is crap.

Frequency is the what you need to pay attention to in real life.
  9. The possibility of another 9/11 attack in the next 10 years is 50Hz.

Nah, doesn't work.
  10. **** sake. Nobody innovates anymore.

There was only one 9/11, the original and the best.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. HHH

HHH LE

The chances of another 9/11 is 81%
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 50/50? So it'll either happen or it won't.
  13. Yes but it's going to be in the next ten years, So Cameron may just get away with his 10 year no war plan.

14. That's bollox.............................

's actualy 79.6%.