• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Statement to Parliament: Gifting of non-lethal equipment to the Jordanian Armed Forces

The Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs Mr Philip Hammond: I have today laid a departmental Minute proposing the gifting of non-lethal equipment to the Jordanian Armed Forces.

My right honourable Friend, the former Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (Mr William Hague) informed the House on 6 March 2013 (Official Report, column 961) that he intended to provide additional non-lethal equipment to the Syrian opposition in order to help save lives. He then laid a departmental Minute on 15 April 2013 and issued a Written Ministerial Statement containing details of that gift which included, amongst other equipment, five 4x4 vehicles with ballistic protection. The equipment was due to be donated to the Syrian opposition National Coalition’s Assistance Coordination Unit based in Turkey. Although we have been able to deliver some of the equipment, regrettably, we have been unable to deliver the five 4x4 vehicles as planned.

There are two reasons for this:

(1) only the US government and United Nations have been granted permission by the Turkish government to use such vehicles in Turkey; and

(2) the Assistance Coordination Unit (ACU) was not a registered entity at the time and therefore the ACU would have only been permitted to store and use the vehicles within Syria.

Our assessment is that delivering the vehicles to Syria carries too much of a risk of them ending up in the wrong hands. For example, on 7 December 2013 the Islamic Front raided the Syrian Military Council’s headquarters in Bab al-Hawa and took some of their equipment. We therefore now consider that the best option is to gift the vehicles to the Jordanian Armed Forces (JAF). The JAF would use them in their efforts to manage current insecurity on their border with Syria, including cross-border smuggling activity. This option represents the least risk of the vehicles falling into the wrong hands and is most cost-effective to the taxpayer given that the vehicles are already stored in Jordan.

This gift has been scrutinised to ensure that the provision of this equipment is consistent with export controls and complies with our international obligations. Recipients have been carefully selected to prevent equipment being given to those involved in extremist activities or human rights violations.

The value of these vehicles is £386,375.70 which will be met by the Government’s Conflict Pool Fund.

The Treasury has approved the proposal in principle. If, during the period of fourteen parliamentary sitting days beginning on the date on which this minute was laid before the House of Commons, a Member signifies an objection by giving notice of a Parliamentary Question or a Motion relating to the minute, or by otherwise raising the matter in the House, final approval of the gift will be withheld pending an examination of the objection.

Further information

Follow the Foreign Secretary on twitter @PHammondMP

Follow the Foreign Office on twitter @foreignoffice

Follow the Foreign Office on facebook and Google+

Media enquiries

Email newsdesk@fco.gov.uk

News Desk 020 7008 3100

Continue reading...

It does occur to me that the Jordainians are already coming down with armored kit and the Pesh, who unlike our Hashemite chums are actually fighting IS in a hot and heavy manner, are screaming out for it.

E

EScotia

It does occur to me that the Jordainians are already coming down with armored kit and the Pesh, who unlike our Hashemite chums are actually fighting IS in a hot and heavy manner, are screaming out for it.
Read the article again and you'll understand why we're gifting them to the Hash instead of the Pesh.

Why are we gifting £70,000 vehicles to ISIS via the Jordanian Army when we don't have enough vehicles to equip ourselves? It's pitiful to see RAC units rattling around in butched up ancient Land Rovers trying to pretend they are Armoured Vehs - I guess they just have to shout "Bang" really, really loud !

Read the article again and you'll understand why we're gifting them to the Hash instead of the Pesh.
What I get is we are writing off giving this material aid to the rebels as a bad job in the cheapest possible way.

We are already training the Pesh and other coalition members are supplying them with lethal kit. They have run away discarding kit in the past but really not much. The KRG's Sinjar isn't much harder to get to than northern Syria where the people we'd like the rebels to fight mostly are. But meh, shipping them north hasn't a worthy RoI.

If we originally intended to supply them to the pretty successful rebels in the South the problem would seem to be as before often they are allied with JaN, a group we've now targeted, i.e. it was a bad idea in the first place. They might be used to fight Assad which is very much off our current agenda.

IS and JaN were always mostly up north. We can't give the very badly equipped YPG kit publicly, they are a bunch of Marxist terrorists who also have started to fight Assad. The reality is in past few months the northern revolt has pretty much collapsed into Takfiri hands, i.e. there's no one left to receive it who won't be overrun and it was a bad idea in the first place.

Petty amazing really when you consider how difficult it was to get 1771 paid for a nights subsistence when I was in.

What are these 4x4 vehicles at £77,000 each?
They are Land Rover Discoveries + the repairs they've needed since leaving the factory 4 months ago.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Given some of our procurement failings we can probably offer quite a lot of non lethal hardware from old armouries.

Last edited:
They are Land Rover Discoveries + the repairs they've needed since leaving the factory 4 months ago.
This was a joke BTW. I should have said it was a Discovery 2!

Why are we gifting £70,000 vehicles to ISIS via the Jordanian Army when we don't have enough vehicles to equip ourselves? It's pitiful to see RAC units rattling around in butched up ancient Land Rovers trying to pretend they are Armoured Vehs - I guess they just have to shout "Bang" really, really loud !
Our fitter truck was "armoured" in a pre deployment exercise. The convoy went as follows Warrior, Mastiff, Mastiff, DAF, Mastiff, Warrior. That said when the IDF alarms we were instructed to either head inside to hard cover or to hatch down. As our DAF counted as armoured we just pulled the tail gate up.

That is meant to say "When the IDF alarms went off we were.." damn you rops!

Latest Threads