State Pension Age - Under Review Again

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by EScotia, Apr 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Given that at the time state pension was introduced, very few people back then lived long enough to see it - I fail to understand the uproar when the government call to re-evaluate it.

It is after all, the largest chunk of the Welfare Budget.

It sounds cold, but at the time it was introduced, they probably arrived at the age by working out when the average citizen croaked and set the bar there. As we're living longer and longer I don't see why that should be any different. If you're living longer than you would've done four decades ago, then there's no reason you can't be working longer.

I'm standing by to be shot down in flames, but bottom line for me is that if I'm gonna live to the ripe old age of 85, then I'm not gonna spend 20 of them sat on my arse.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

3. A lot of people thought I was a bit odd putting money into a private pension from my mid 20's.

79 according to that.
  4. Reading that and the way its going I'll be at least 70 at retirement
  5. Seems I've been dead 5 years.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Either that or up the indivisual contributions to it. It's as DavidCameron said in an earlier post. The state pension was set up when we weren't expected to live as long.

The problem we have now, is that as people have paid into it, they think they're entitled to all of it. Nobody has the balls to say that they've paid part way to it.

Anyway, what's wrong with working to 70. There's many a spritley 70 year old working away.
  7. Daily Mail question..

if a person is granted asylum or resident status in the uk, are they entitled to a full pension even although they have never made any contributions towards it?
  8. Not the Basic State Pension - that depends on National Insurance contributions.
  9. I thought that, but if they came here in there late 50s, or 60s with no money, they would effectively be destitute.
  10. I thought that, but if they came here in their late 50s, or 60s with no money, they would effectively be destitute.
  11. Slightly off thread ...

Been retired over ten years now and all Pensions now being received ... pleased to be out of the uncertainty associated with initially retiring .... I in fact am better off under the current UK State Pension scheme ... in 2017 when the new State Pension comes in a lot of people are going to be worse off ...

Full article ... linky ... State pension overhaul to leave most people worse off - Telegraph
  12. Wouldn't it be nice to hear pensioners are better off? I expect many still starve and freeze to death each year.
  13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Most pensioners are better off and the likelihood is that some of their protected universal benefits will be whittled away to share the burden. Younger, working people are bearing a disproportionate share of the pain and that is not politically acceptable in the long run.

That's from the Fabian Society; summary and full report here:

Think piece #1: The Fabian Society – Ageing in the Middle : Hanover
    • Like Like x 1