ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

State Pension Age to Increase

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by TheresaMay, Jul 19, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Source: Sky News

State pension age increase brought forward

Interesting that the Government would announce this after the General Election - and predictable that Labour are already calling the changes "unfair".

Despite being one of the six million who will be affected by these changes, I'm actually in favour of this move and I'm glad to see a government having the courage to propose such a change in policy.

As most of you will know, approx 47% of the Welfare Budget goes directly on the State Pension and with people living longer, keeping the State Pension Age constant means it's only a matter of time before more drastic measures would have to be implemented.

It doesn't bode well for the "Nasty Tories" though - I suspect this will be seen as yet another ploy to "look after the older generation by robbing the younger ones of their futures".

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 2
  2. Might as well rob them more, most of them can't afford to buy a property anyhow.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Pension age changed not long ago, said would be protected I thought, what has changed?

4. TheresaMay

Originally the plan to change it from 67 to 68 wasn't to happen until 2044. Now it will be 2037 (see quote above) - meaning another six million people (those aged between 39 and 47) will now have to work an extra year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 27
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

They are bringing forward the timescale, so rather than this coming in to effect seven years earlier by 2037 rather than 2044. My kids drop in to the age group affected.

I am surprised that this has been announced now and not tacked on to the autumn budget. Still, gets it out of the way as the MPs all disappear on their long summer hols.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Based on what? I thought everything was rosy after Brexit happens? I certainly don't trust the Bank of England who keep chucking out fibs. Where has this come from and why not in manifesto?

7. On what evidence?

8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Sorry, don't know what you mean

9. I think you may well have accidentally stumbled onto the reason the announcement was made today.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Was recently increased, increased again and talk of increasing it to 70, based on what. How can they possibly guess about the futuure?

11. MP's pensions, yes what about them?

12. TheresaMay

Well according to David Gauke, they've done the sums and figure this would save £74bn

With people living longer and drawing on the State (currently at the ripe old age of 65) it was only a matter of time before someone had to tackle this issue.

But as usual, it's the way they go about it that rattles people.

• Like Like x 3
  13. All the pensions stuff in the manifesto got shredded after the failure at the ballot box, was obvious things were going to change.

Personally, I reckon you'll be lucky to see a state pension in the next 15 years

• Like Like x 2
  14. The Boomers, having secured their own state pension, pulling the ladder up behind them? Say it ain't so!

See also: university tuition fees.

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2