State of UK Policing: another Home Office triumph

OK, I'll do the maths, that is a 66%+ cut. But if they are all picking up 4 or 5 beats, that is an extra 3-400% workload for individual, or an extra 25% for the whole assuming 4 beats each between 5 instead of 16 between 16.

So how do you explain the delta - those numbers can't purely be explained by cash as I can't think of a force that has had 66% of its money cut.

(edited to add, genuine question, not a trawl for a bite).

OK, I'll do the maths, that is a 66%+ cut. But if they are all picking up 4 or 5 beats, that is an extra 3-400% workload for individual, or an extra 25% for the whole assuming 4 beats each between 5 instead of 16 between 16.

So how do you explain the delta - those numbers can't purely be explained by cash as I can't think of a force that has had 66% of its money cut.

(edited to add, genuine question, not a trawl for a bite).

When CCs are faced with year on year cuts, that amount to about 20% of the budget and they are only given yearly settlements that normally when you dig into them, amount to a flat settlement, so basically stand still rates of funding, they have to decide where the cuts come.
Police have to Respond to calls for assistance, Investigators have to investigate the recorded crimes, Custody has to process them, Traffic have to police the roads etc. Most of these are statutory responsibilities that have to be done by law.

Everywhere has been cut, especially Traffic, L1 PO units and potentially The Marine Unit in my coastal force. An uplift has had to be found for Firearms, because the HO has said so. In a provincial force however they are not busy but have to be ringfenced as part of regional cover.

That leaves Neighbourhoods, The Beat Officer who you used to see out on foot or on a bike patrolling, stopping, chatting, dealing with low level issues and gleaning knowledge. Possibly one of the only places that all the other units could be kept operational from. No statutory responsibility to keep them, however PCCs and CCs will tell you that a Neighbourhood Dept still exists, which it does but at drastically reduced numbers and with massive other commitments to fulfill just to keep things going.

Hope that helps.

#cutshaveconsequences
Less with Less.

I think my outlook is jaded and almost certainly skewed to a Pavlovian degree, in that my entire service has seen constant reductions and the refrain has always been, 'do more with the same resource or do the same with less resource'. We are constantly inured to risk manage stuff and do fire fighting.

I think several factors are relevant.

First, the courts and CPS have a part to play in making sure those who have criminal intentions, especially serial low level offenders who cause police to waste time out of all proportion to both the crime and punishment, get dealt with appropriately. I don't think this happens.

Second, the recording of crime needs to be done in such a way to be genuine, permit intelligence-led policing and also the allocation of funding. Now I think forces themselves and their PCCs have a part to play. The military example would be including all recruits on strength in your manning figures rather than just those trained, or counting your MI5 and 6 spending in your 2% of GDP for NATO. The MOD does these white wash stats. If the UK crime stats aren't gaining traction for funding, something is wrong. Whilst there are no votes in military matters, people will vote with their feet if they feel they will be affected by crime. Forces and PCCs must hold the HO to account for stats.

Next, I think people are more aware and will come forward with complaints, be it pish or be it genuine or serious crimes. I can't think of an example beyond yewtree or #metoo but things will be skewed as more prevalent crimes attract more media attention. I can see commissioners cutting neighbourhood bobbies instead of sexual offending teams definitely, local intelligence is not tangible.

Next, the internet means crims can pass TTPs and knowledge more easily, whilst the prosecutors want more and more cyber forensics to get a case into court.

All of these factors and more besides are massively exacerbated by funding cuts for sure, and I acknowledge the Police do their day job day-in day-out unlike the military where large parts of it haven't since the demise of HERRICK.

That said, I think some echelons of the Police are complicit by head in the sand attitudes to austerity - mebbe senior officers rely on people being in the pension trap to keep their force's head above water until they can retire to a lucrative consultancy with a K or an OBE?

Is there any single action, or range of actions, that Government could take to reverse the downward trend?

A recruitment drive?
Improve terms and conditions?
Strengthen the court system?
Better welfare support?

Allowing constables to summarily execute scrotes at the point of arrest: instant reduction in reoffending rates, instant boost in morale for police, instant deterrent effect on wanabee gangstas.

I don’t have time for much of a reply, The Budget yesterday showed how much The Government care for policing. Twice as much for potholes than Policing.
No mention in the news about it really. The public only care if it had affected them.

The Federation and lately Senior Officers with a number of recent reports from organisations have indicated how stuffed the police are. It doesn’t seem to make a difference, The Government will deflect responsibility to PCCs and say that everything is fine.

A few years ago, PMTM told the Fed that they were crying wolf. It appears they weren’t and I don’t think things will get any better.

In 2015, The HO admitted that The Police Funding Formula was unfair and not fit for purpose. They set about working on it using figures that were shown to be flawed and unworkable, they accepted this but have done nothing since.

Funding settlements are done on a yearly basis, only allowing CCs to plan a financial year ahead. Not sustainable and it leads to short term financial planning with emergency budgeting.

I firmly believe that whilst PMTM is in power, the situation will not change, pay settlement recommendations will not be honoured, no matter what Javid says and fair funding will not happen.

More of the same firefighting policing for the foreseeable.

Whatever settlement is given will be sold by Government as an increase but the devil will be in the detail.

I think it oversimplifies matters to lay all the problems in policing with cuts to money.

I saw an interview after the Manchester concert bombing, I think he was some type of Fed lefty, he distinctly reminded me of Bob Crowe.

Said chap was pretty much stating Manchester going bang was all PMTM's fault due to her cuts as Home Sec.

Now I thought this was a touch disingenuous. Firstly, an extra million coppers in employment will not stop a lone wolf suicide bomber, unless some of them are actually in the idiot's kitchen whilst he makes the device. Secondly, I understand security at such a concert is a private firm doing it, not the (very) thin blue line.

I may be wrong about the latter, but as to the former, looks to me like an intelligence failing led to Manchester, not lacking numbers.

My bold.. I recall seeing a video within hours of the bombing, of the deputy C. Const. of Manchester, whose first words were to "reassure" all the Muslims that extra patrols/protection would be given to Mosques & other Islamic centres in the area. This rather than to reassure the MAJORITY of the population that all steps were being taken to safeguard them!!

What you have done there, is pick the most extreme example of a misjudged decision probably made in good faith that had a catastrophic outcome to make a point about police struggling to deal with people who don’t want to engage in The CJS.

I’m sure you can google hundreds of examples of rubbish and inappropriate calls to 999 or examples of people who refuse to help the police help them but instead you post that incredibly sad story. Weird.

Plenty more where that came from, old boy,

'Not really a police issue': Police ignored five 999 calls about

Allowing constables to summarily execute scrotes at the point of arrest: instant reduction in reoffending rates, instant boost in morale for police, instant deterrent effect on wanabee gangstas.

The Dredd is strong with this one!

You left out, "Instant boost to recruitment" as hundreds of ARRSEr's beg to be allowed to join up.:)

Last edited:
Agree with all posted and heard this morning that again the Police are being “ forced” to act as social / mental health care workers.

However this vest cam footage, even if it ended in tragedy , poor baby . Shows there are still superb police of the old kind on the streets.

Police man was calm , kind , friendly, knew the people, what they did, where they lived , what they were on , their mental state and notice his partner indicating the holes in the walls from numty , high on weed and whatever kicking off.

Mother and her former partner are found guilty over death of three-week-old baby | Daily Mail Online

Agree with all posted and heard this morning that again the Police are being “ forced” to act as social / mental health care workers.

However this vest cam footage, even if it ended in tragedy , poor baby . Shows there are still superb police of the old kind on the streets.

Police man was calm , kind , friendly, knew the people, what they did, where they lived , what they were on , their mental state and notice his partner indicating the holes in the walls from numty , high on weed and whatever kicking off.

Mother and her former partner are found guilty over death of three-week-old baby | Daily Mail Online

I always chuckle when people insist you can’t enter without a warrant. Good policing and par for the course in my experience. BWV is worth its weight in gold.

Latest Threads