State of the Union with Scotland.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Ord_Sgt, Mar 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

On the Alex Salmond thread GT2001 says most Jocks want to remain in the Union, but maybe not as it is now.

I've always wondered why do the Jocks feel as if they are not equal partners in the Union (some may even argue more than equal), and seem to think the English have somehow got one over on them? If the details need changing, what would you like to change?

Genuine question as I've never really understood the almost inferiority complex a lot of you have north of the border when it comes to the English.
  2. Probably the biggest thing is for the English to stop bl**dy whinging about us all the time.

One of the things that has always mistified me is if we cost yu lot down south quite so much of your hard earned cash, why are you so keen to keep on ruling us, surely you would be better off to just cast us ungratefull PJ adrift.
  3. It's my understanding that The Union offers us Scots more than it does the English with regards to subsidies from the English tax payer far exceeding whatever revenue is generated from North Sea Oil.

When all is said and done regarding Broon and co., don't the Jocks actually do quite well with a UK Labour government in power seeing as a considerable percentage of us are idle wasters living on benefits?

I'd certainly vote to remain a part of The Union anyway. Scottish parliament just comes across as another gravy train - what exactly was the point of devolved government and these additional MSPs? :? Can't say I'm feeling any benefits of a £400+ million building as an example.
  4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Can you give some examples, you seem to be doing exactly that which you accuse the English of?
  5. Total independence for Scotland (and Wales for that matter) is fine with me.
  6. Yes, the English do whinge a great deal, I'll grant you that.

Perhaps it's because the last couple of Prime Ministers have been Scottish and generally abhorred, and it looks like either way, the next Prime Minister will also be Scottish.

I heard one that the names that the English are quite often referred to in Scotland, sassenach, translates to "enemy" in Gaelic. Not sure if that is true, but teaching your kids to refer to your closest neighbours as "enemies" hardly encourages a friendly rapport. If I were to teach my kids derrogatory names about any ethnic group, you can imagine how that would be treated.

Perhaps it also hasn't helped for the English to hear that Scottish sports fans have chosen to support France when France and England are in competition? Little wonder then that people feel that the historical hatred, fuelled by Hollywood's misrepresentation of Wallace, warrants a reciprocal response?

Rivallry is only to be expected in any family, I think most people down south regard the Scots as complete equals, and I'm quite sure the same applies to the Scottish. Time will tell, but the Scots are a canny bunch, and I think Salmond's fine words are generally seen for what they are - political bullsh*t.

United we stand, divided we fall. And as a Welshman with Scottish parents, living in England, I am proud to be just British.
  7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

One of the main bones of contention in Scotland (and I believe the other celtic nations) is the way the meedja portray things. For instance prior to a game between Scotland and Wales say, the commentators will spend their time talking about England and their chances. This happens in most sports and is extremely irritating. Any world cup soccer game and it is a countdown to when the commentators mention 1966. FFS England won the world cup, well done, but it was over 40 years ago; what have they done since?

If the English Broadcasting Corporation (sorry BBC) were less biased then perhaps relationships would improve slightly.

Just my opinion so please feel free to ignore it, as it is only that of a porridge wog.
  8. A hint: try to say and write 'our Scottish friends' or 'our Scottish brothers' instead of 'the Jocks'.
  9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Sergey - bollox. To use your phrases is just PC bullshit. We are the Jocks and proud of it. I don't mind being refered to as one of "the Jocks"; reminds everyone of who we are.
  10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

As Auld Yin has said, Jocks is an affectionate term not an insulting one, besides how gay is 'our Scotish brothers'. :oops:
  11. Unless your surname is "Trapp"!

Jock s trapp. Geddit?
  12. Oh so we can't even complain now.

I am, having been gainfully employed from the day I left school in 1964 till now and an ex service man still theoritically subject to re-employment without notice, pissed of to the nth degree of being described continually as a sponger, scrounger, whinger etc etc. I like most people have paid for every thing I own through the sweat of my brow, and have enough self pride to find the continual harping at me and my countrymen as not a joke but bl**dy offensive. Onceis funny, twice mildly amusing but day after day not funny or amusing at all. Yes I understand just how the immigrants feel because the English have treated me much the same.
  13. OK. And what about expressions like 'our English friends' and 'our English brothers'? Do you think that for the Scots the English are friends and brothers?
  14. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Maybe you have to be a native English speaker to realise how insincere and sarcastic that sounds. Flowery prose just doesn't translate well in English.
  15. :D :D :D

It was a joke (as many my posts here).

Of course, I'm not a native English speaker but be sure I feel sematic colouring (at least sometimes) pretty well.

On a serious note, I believe that the very idea of breaking of the Union is absolutely stupid.