State of the UK

Mods please move, There is a post on something like this but.

Back in the UK for a family matter, quick booking and needing a place to kip.

Went for the local travel lodge as it is close and quite cheap.

Today needed to change my flight home and rebook for two weeks time. Stuck in the room calling and trying to book online, so was in the room and could hear the cleaners in the corridor. I had noticed over the last days that they always worked in pairs.

Telling them I was “working” but they could come in to tidy up.

“ No , sorry policy is we cannot go into a room with a guest in”?

Half an hour later went to the front desk, woman about 22/24 answered the bell, noticed straight away she was wearing a small body cam.

Asked her . Is that a camera?

Yes it’s for my safety.

Sad state of affairs that women need that kind of policy and need to wear cameras at mid morning in the UK.

I think you need to consider where you are staying, I've yet to meet a hotel receptionist wearing a camera.

I think you need to consider where you are staying, I've yet to meet a hotel receptionist wearing a camera.
Neither have I in the UK or otherwise , mind there are Video cameras all over the place too. In the hotel not the UK / world in general.

This is Ludlow a sleepy market town in Shropshire.

Interesting, I last used a Travel Lodge in East London, somewhere Whitechapel way, not the smartest of neighbourhoods and they didn't have cameras on the staff. I think someone may be being a bit overzealous with their risk assessments.

Not The Feathers surely?
You do know , wahha, that after a guest pegged it after staying in the Feathers , rumor had it , it was Legionnaires in the water pipes. Not the French type.

Place went bust and closed. Shropshire Star was up in arms as it was the “end” of the town. As we know it.

Mind seems someone is now trying to buy it. Hope so had a good pub and great free WiFi.

Sadly it is a problem all over the world, certainly in the West. The decline in personal responsibility has taken place at the same time sex and all sorts of related activity seem to have been reduced to a commodity, and people have a sense of entitlement.

It still seems like overkill, but it protects all parties. Horrible times!

You do know , wahha, that after a guest pegged it after staying in the Feathers , rumor had it , it was Legionnaires in the water pipes. Not the French type.

Place went bust and closed. Shropshire Star was up in arms as it was the “end” of the town. As we know it.

Mind seems someone is now trying to buy it. Hope so had a good pub and great free WiFi.
I had no idea! So it's the Travel Lodge at Wooferton then!

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Half an hour later went to the front desk, woman about 22/24 answered the bell, noticed straight away she was wearing a small body cam.

Asked her . Is that a camera?

Yes it’s for my safety.

Sad state of affairs that women need that kind of policy and need to wear cameras at mid morning in the UK.
You don't stipulate whether she was wearing a small body cam (is that the opposite of a "large-body" cam?) on a personal basis, or if she was just complying with the policy mandated by her employer. Either way, she's quite canny to do so.

Men (in general) don't have even the slightest arse-end of an idea just how much genuine stress women have to go through in the course of a "normal" working day. If men (in general) were subjected to anywhere near the harassment, latent violence and implicit and explicit bullying that women experience on a daily basis all their lives, there'd definitely be questions asked and measures taken in the House of Commons to do something about the situation. Yet, even in the 21st Century, it's something that's rarely, if ever, mentioned.

If we're really serious about true equality for women (which they richly deserve), then we have to address such a grave and ongoing problem.

MsG

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
You don't stipulate whether she was wearing a small body cam (is that the opposite of a "large-body" cam?) on a personal basis, or if she was just complying with the policy mandated by her employer. Either way, she's quite canny to do so.

Men (in general) don't have even the slightest arse-end of an idea just how much genuine stress women have to go through in the course of a "normal" working day. If men (in general) were subjected to anywhere near the harassment, latent violence and implicit and explicit bullying that women experience on a daily basis all their lives, there'd definitely be questions asked and measures taken in the House of Commons to do something about the situation. Yet, even in the 21st Century, it's something that's rarely, if ever, mentioned.

If we're really serious about true equality for women (which they richly deserve), then we have to address such a grave and ongoing problem.

MsG
I believe that in the UK more men get attacked and killed than women, read it somewhere recently.

I believe that in the UK more men get attacked and killed than women, read it somewhere recently.
Not really worth responding to Larry O'Liar... it is just something else that our SME is an SME on.

Oh, never confuse facts with Larry's version of anything either. The facts are just plain wrong unless they are BugsyFacts.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was in a travelodge in Hatfield last year and the young lady receptionist (who wasn’t wearing a bodycam) wouldn’t let me go to the Indian restaurant I could see from the front door on foot- it was zombie apocalypse out there mind... taxi it was.

Surely someone wanting to get a bit rapey would have the camera away after they had their end away...?

If they were paying attention, that is.

Stayed at a Premier Inn in July and the receptionist was a self-service terminal.

Surely someone wanting to get a bit rapey would have the camera away after they had their end away...?

If they were paying attention, that is.
These days any one who needs cctv has it linked to the cloud via wifi or mobile network.
So you can do what you want with the camera after you have done the crime, but its all there on the web for anyone who has the authority to access it.

Latest Threads