Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

State of the Metropolitan police

Who manages logistics for the Police?

My understanding was that kit has to be, for the most part, Home Office approved and then individual forces are responsible for their own procurement. There are things which do come thru the HO pipeline, but mainly the reps at Edgars, Arktis and the like are working overtime to sell stuff in.

It's come from someone I've known for nearly 20 years, utterly professional and with the very highest of standards and integrity.
For them to have a rant about the shortcomings of the organisation is unheard of. He's MET pissed.

But they're the kind of person to give the probationer their own body armour to keep them safe and rely on experience and wits for their own.

I had been a proper copper before I joined the army and then joined as a Special after the army and university. My mate, who had stayed the course as a copper, told me I would not like it when I tod him I was going in as a Special. Back-stabbing, seniors only interested in keeping smooth waters to further their careers, a move towards being more social workers in uniform and diversity training every fortnight for a newly identified minority group. But, I joined.

They never gave us any kit during training to be Specials as it may have been money wasted if someone left before being sent to the nick of their choice. We all passed and were issued with enough uniform to be able to be sworn in and stand next to the local MP for photographs. We were told to get issued a locker at our respective nicks, get a chitty and only then we would be issued with our section 5 PAVA spray, batons, etc.

I wandered off to my nick where I had already been attending parade nights whilst training and asked for a locker. Without going into the boring details, between an Inspector and a civvy clerk it took 3, yes THREE, months to allocate a locker to me. Yet every time I went down to the locker room there were rows of them with their doors open and empty.

I had access to all the kit, but no locker to keep it in.

So that the Croydon shooting thread isn't derailed.

A close friend of mine is a Street Duties instructor in the Met. During a conversation they've stated that he can't get uniform through the system, to the extent that officers are being told to buy their own and put a claim through.

This is a snippet of our conversation as follows..

Not even that will do it.
Probationers are being told to buy their own trousers from specific locations and then claim the money back.
Me. You're fecking joking

I wish I was. Most of them come to Borough without trousers, flat caps and beat duties.
Procurement are issuing out of data shirts and body armour because they haven’t got the new stuff.

It’s an absolute joke.

Me.. That's fecking outrageous.
It’s been raised, it’s been discussed and yet still people are coming to borough without the kit.
At one point an officer came without body armour and their advice was to “share with another officer, take it in turns going on patrol”.
The standard of the organisation.

This ladies and Gentlemen is the state of the Metropolitan police, direct from a frontline officer, this is a person I trust with my life.
Off to Silvermans then

I had been a proper copper before I joined the army and then joined as a Special after the army and university. My mate, who had stayed the course as a copper, told me I would not like it when I tod him I was going in as a Special. Back-stabbing, seniors only interested in keeping smooth waters to further their careers, a move towards being more social workers in uniform and diversity training every fortnight for a newly identified minority group. But, I joined.

They never gave us any kit during training to be Specials as it may have been money wasted if someone left before being sent to the nick of their choice. We all passed and were issued with enough uniform to be able to be sworn in and stand next to the local MP for photographs. We were told to get issued a locker at our respective nicks, get a chitty and only then we would be issued with our section 5 PAVA spray, batons, etc.

I wandered off to my nick where I had already been attending parade nights whilst training and asked for a locker. Without going into the boring details, between an Inspector and a civvy clerk it took 3, yes THREE, months to allocate a locker to me. Yet every time I went down to the locker room there were rows of them with their doors open and empty.

Keep it the boot of your car like I did, although there was one occasion as I was driving home that I had to turn round as I remembered they might want the firearm back :)

I'm struggling with this, even the Police Service Investigators on my watch were provided with all they needed by my efforts, and none of that 'back door' stuff either. What's gone wrong?

Keep it the boot of your car like I did, although there was one occasion as I was driving home that I had to turn round as I remembered they might want the firearm back :)

Policy was that PAVA had to be kept in your own locker at the nick, all other kit could be taken home if that floated your boat.

I attended the parade nights for the three months, even the regular blokes were asking when I would be out and about as they saw me as a useful Special. Noises were made, I even went to do a face to face with the clerk and the admin Inspector.......and still nothing happened.

How could that have happened? Did you find out what caused the delay?

How could that have happened? Did you find out what caused the delay?

Lethargy on the part of the Inspector. I'm being serious.

Another bloke arrived two months after me and he hung around for a month and we were both given our lockers at the same time. I can't remember her title, but it was the woman who was the non-uniform person running the Specials for the whole Force. When I joined she wanted me to work out of a different nick and to be the Area Officer (there was a vacancy) as soon as I joined due to having been a copper in a previous life. Anyway, I bumped into her in the local Blacks outdoor shop during the third month of my wait and she asked how I was doing, so I told her, and then magically a locker appeared.

Let me guess - the Inspector and the clerk rarely worked the same shift pattern , or had comms with each other, and when you came in, neither were there, either.
Pfft!

Let me guess - the Inspector and the clerk rarely worked the same shift pattern , or had comms with each other, and when you came in, neither were there, either.
Pfft!

being admin staff they both flextime worked the hours between 6am and 6pm, monday to friday.