State of Decay

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by buggrit, Jun 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone partaking in this XBox Live game? Undead Labs » About State of Decay I started playing it a couple of days ago after seeing it advertised in Game. I asked the sales assistant if she had heard any reviews on it and she happened to be playing it and gave it a glowing report so I bought it there and then as I quite like my zombie apocalypse games.So far it's been quite enjoyable and I'm just getting to grips with how things work. Smashing through a horde in a car is particularly enjoyable. Apologies for the block of writing. For some reason DII mashes everything together when I post.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dirt_Diver

Dirt_Diver LE Moderator

I've seen some YouTuber review this and it looks pretty good (the YouTuber was creaming himself), bit like a console version of DayZ, now I know there are rumours of a standalone version of DayZ for consoles being developed (there were a lot of DayZ references in the clip), but that's a long way off, they've only just release the PC alpha for a select few lucky *******. This looks like a good alternative for consolers.

I'll definitely be having a look at this.

3. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

Shame there's no co-op or multiplayer. Good otherwise though!

4. Got it over the weekend and after a couple of hours in and i'm realy enjoying it, along with blood dragon these are probably some of the best arcade games released.

They've really nailed the walking dead atmosphere when your out scavaging espechially at night, looking for building supplies in the construction site close to the church and suddenly a horde appears and your crouched under a window ledge with only 4 rounds for the .357 revolver as they shamble past your parked car untill they've passed.

The looting system seems harsh but rewarding when you've cleared out a street of houses and all you find is a bit of food. But continuing searching and finding a 9mm pistol was very satisfying when the only thing the NPCs seems to find is 9mm ammo.

The game does have its issues the graphics seem to suffer at times with loss of textures or screen tearing, and i've found when you plough through larger hordes in a car it gets very laggy for a couple of seconds.

As frostee pointed out the game would have been really good with a coop as at times you need to make multiple runs to collect supplies and having another set of eyes never hurts.

Overall though State of Decay seems to be one of the best zombie survival games for the xbox, its a lot better than the walking dead FPS, and with permenant death it seems to make me play with a lot more caution than i would otherwise.
    If you like the zombie or open world survival type games it'd be well worth downloading the demo.

P.S season 3 of the walking dead starts on channel 5 next month

5. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Permanent death? Ah bugger that's why I can't get Marcus back!! Decided to take a shortcut across a field when some big green ****** jumped up and tore me in two :(
    Enjoying it though as said, one of the better arcade games :)

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  6. FrosteeMARIA

Biggest mistake I've made so far is sticking with one character, and building up their abilities without switching to any of the other characters available. Wandered into a double horde ambush in a cemetery at night, with a few screamers, a fat bloater and a rather dangerous one that bounded about on all fours. Didn't last long and couldn't run away! Start again..........

7. i've not bothered collecting much of the enrgy drinks and stuff that restore stamina without resting so i'm switching charecters pretty often and i've almost lost maya a couple of times, a horde came wondering straight into one of those side missions where you have to search a number of houses ended up sitting on the upstairs landing and shooting the horde as they came up the stairs.

Bit miffed how when you store stuff at your base the npc's can take it, found an assult rifle with only a tiny bit of ammo stored it for later, when i finally found some ammo the rifle was gone from the stash.

I'm also starting to run low on those modern pick up trucks they seem to be the best car in the game they go through hordes like grass

Any one found a bigger rucksack yet?

8. Set up a workshop and you can park vehicles overnight and they will be repaired, you need to use vehicles carefully as they are a finite resource. I'm set up at a trucking yard and it has space for four vehicles.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using ARRSE mobile app

9. i'm trying to move their at the moment, just gathered enough materials then that park ranger bloke shot the preacher despite the fact i'd gotten him the meds. so now i need another survivor.
    Then it sounds like i'll need to go and collect all the smoking pick ups i've left round the map

10. FrosteeMARIA

Would be great if you could instruct NPC's to collect vehicles for you, in the same way you can radio them in to collect swag from houses!

11. i've only called in a bloke to collect stuff once, didn't like it he took forever to turn up and ages to search a place i'd already cleared while i stayed put to protect him. since then i've found it easier to just drive the stuff back myself.

12. FrosteeMARIA

I call them in and leave them to it, all but one have made it back without any help, or me hanging about trying to keep them safe

13. You can radio someone to get you a car but it costs 200 influence I think. I frequently drive back to base to change cars so I don't get caught out if a horde appears and I avoid the juggernauts as they wreck cars.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using ARRSE mobile app

14. FrosteeMARIA

If you equip a rucksack, fill it with stuff you want to keep for later, then stash said rucksack does that prevent NPC'S from taking the contents? I've got five or six spare rucksacks...but not the bigger ones..might try this.

15. don't know, i ended up destroying any spare rucksacks in my inventory for the space.

Just lost my first character, she took a running jump off a survey point in rather than using the lader their goes a load of my good gear

• Like Like x 1