State Funeral

#1
Hi,

Don't know what to say really. But this Petition has been submitted on the No10 website:

More details from petition creator
Although we take the time each year to remember all those who have served and died in service of their country, we believe the inevitable passing of the "Last Tommy" should be accorded special recognition. These men endured unimaginable horrors during the First World War; horrors which have thankfully been rare since. They fought alongside hundreds of thousands of their countrymen and witnessed many of them being killed. This sacrifice should never be forgotten. However, it would be all too easy for us to begin to forget once the Last Tommy has passed away. To ensure that this does not happen we're calling on the government to grant a state funeral to the last of these brave men so that we may honour him and remember and all those of his lost generation who laid down their lives for their country.

Petition for a State Funeral for the Last Tommy
 
#4
I reckon the three surviving geezers should have a state funeral apiece, since they represent the Pongos, the Crabs and the Andrew.

MsG
 
#6
IIRC Harry Patch has quite clearly stated that he does not want a state funeral or to be known as the last Tommy. Can't remember where but if anyone can help.
HH
 
#7
Let's leave the final decision up to the men themselves, eh? We owe them that much.
 
#8
The proposal that a state funeral be held for the last survivor of the First World War is ill conceived and in bad taste.

That the nation should concentrate its gratitude on one named individual as a martyr of suffering endured in a particular war, does a grave disservice to the thousands who also served in that war let alone those who served in subsequent conflicts and experienced horrors just as awful.

Every year the nation honours and remembers the men and women who, regardless of age, race, colour, creed or rank have died in its service and at the risk of appearing brusque, the current survivors lived a full life. It was their comrades who did not.
 
#9
smartascarrots said:
Let's leave the final decision up to the men themselves, eh? We owe them that much.
Seconded. I have read the Harry Patch biography, and he doesn't want it. A good read, by the way.
 

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
#10
If Mr Patch doesnt want a state funeral then his wishes should be adhered to. He has given plenty so now its our time to respect him.
 
#11
I rather suspect that the event should it take place would turn into a politicians bandwagon. How would you like to listen to Cyclops and the rest of his gang of thieves extolling the virtues of a man they could never aspire to emulate.
 
#12
CQMS said:
I rather suspect that the event should it take place would turn into a politicians bandwagon. How would you like to listen to Cyclops and the rest of his gang of thieves extolling the virtues of a man they could never aspire to emulate.


In these days when civil honours are given out for little or no effort other than a once off flash in the pan success, why do our politicos not make a final gesture towards these three great old men by granting them a Knighthood. They have lived with more memories than we could ever dream of and lived with memories we would much rather forget. It was a privilege to watch them at the Cenotaph.
 
#13
Initially I thought a State Funeral for The Last Tommy was a fitting tribute but I'm now not too sure. We are also talking about someone who is still very much a live and has expressed their wish to not be granted such a send off. I think it should be marked in some way but maybe not a burial in Westminster.
 
#14
#15
skypilotuk said:
CQMS said:
I rather suspect that the event should it take place would turn into a politicians bandwagon. How would you like to listen to Cyclops and the rest of his gang of thieves extolling the virtues of a man they could never aspire to emulate.


In these days when civil honours are given out for little or no effort other than a once off flash in the pan success, why do our politicos not make a final gesture towards these three great old men by granting them a Knighthood. They have lived with more memories than we could ever dream of and lived with memories we would much rather forget. It was a privilege to watch them at the Cenotaph.
even if they were offered a knighthood i doubt they would accept it. The gentlemen would most probably say that it was the fallen millions that deserve the knighthoods.
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#18
Bugsy said:
I reckon the three surviving geezers should have a state funeral apiece, since they represent the Pongos, the Crabs and the Andrew.

MsG
Typical crabs stole Henry after serving with the RNAS so he really was a fishhead! :wink:
 
#20
I'll say it again:

The proposal that a state funeral be held for the last survivor of the First World War is a lousy idea. There is no justification for a state occasion to mark the passing of one who lived a full life having confounded the odds between 1914-1918. It was his comrades who did not.

That the nation should concentrate its gratitude on one named individual as a representative martyr is a grave disservice to the thousands who also served in WW1, let alone those who served in subsequent conflicts and experienced horrors just as awful.

Every year the nation honours and remembers the men and women who, regardless of age, race, colour, creed or rank have died in its service. The crowds’ applause as ex-servicemen and women march past the Cenotaph and memorials across the country, suggests that it is also the moment the nation pays its respects to those who survived their service.

Finally, Blair’s contemptible attempt to hi-jack the Queen Mother’s funeral shows that the political class will turn this into a stunt in which they try to bask in the reflected glory of their betters.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top