State funeral for last British Tommy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by five-minute-fagbreak, Aug 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I did search for this with no success, apologies if it has been done already, just consider it a Bump :wink:

Show your support for the few remaining veterans of the First World War. These men endured unimaginable horrors in the trenches during WWI on behalf of their country. We have honoured them ever since by observing Remembrance Sunday during the Festival of Remembrance.

Quite soon, however, the Last Tommy will pass away and there will no longer be any living survivors of the First World War.

In order to ensure that this moment does not pass without thought from the general public we call for the government to grant a state funeral for the Last Tommy, to be held at Westminster Abbey, so that we may properly honour him and all his fallen comrades.

That's if he decides to accept of course!

You can now sign the Downing Steet e-petition and call on the Prime Minister to grant this state funeral.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/lasttommyfuneral/

2. Thats exactly what I thought, should have a lot of public support.
    Just gotta spread the word to as many as possible.

3. 11 February 2009 is the deadline to have signed it by.

Seems a bit strange setting dates on such a subject to me.

4. I support the idea - but whatever the soldier in question wants must take precedence over giving Cyclops and SOS(v) a chance to weep a few crocodile tears in the abbey

5. I recall a huge arrse campaign about this ages ago. Not sure what forum it was in. Everybody wrote to their MP's and supposedly they were organising something.

Glad it has been brought up again though as MP's seem to have conveniently forgotten about it.

6. Sad as it is I suppose they have to plan an event like this as much as possible so when the day finaly comes things are ready :(

7. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Nice question, isn't it ... "When you finally peg it, would you like a State Funeral"

Answer ... "Only if that cnut Broon joins me in the hole."

Off to sign now ... :oops:

8. Someone best start prompting the last couple then! Old boys will say anything!!!!!!

9. I don't know if this is a good idea or not, to spend that amount of money on a dead bloke who probably needs the cash now, watching the pollys hijack the whole event. Listening to GB or whoever spout b*llocks to whichever camera is nearest. Give the old boys a cash boost now and don't create a media circus.

10. My point exactly: anybody remember Blair at the QM's funeral?

11. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I would hope that HMQ might sideline the hordes of political waste of space.

The concept just appeals to me, emotionally.
    A last chance to remind folks with brains where Poppy Appeal started [and is still needed].

Meeja Scum = Publicity = Remember them [old and young].

IMO, E&OE.

12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Done!
    And spread.

13. Done

We Will Remember Them.