Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting out at the gym

Thats how my lad started, gymnastics - he did rings, determined little stick insect that he was. He never built much mass, still looking pretty much like a stick insect, until last year though when he went at it in an organised manner and put on some muscle weight.
Food is king for the youngsters.

Had a lad at my gym worked his nuts off, stayed skinny - one of the old sweats had a word with him and said eat like a horse (clean as you can) until you feel sick for just one month and see what happens. Just needed to tip over that calorie burn threshold, which for young 'uns with silly metabolisms can be sky high.

It worked, and then some, really packed it on.

Have a think about any classes the gym offers. I do a weights workout on Saturday morning and again in the week if I can, plus a longish run on a Sunday. However the thing that's really caught me is the 'virtual' spinning class.

By virtual I mean there's no instructor, just a pre-recorded Les Mills video. The studio they use has just 9 bikes and I'm usually centre, back row. Most of the other cyclists seem to be fit young women, and the current mrs_mush.

As it's projected onto a large screen at the front of the class, the studio lights are turned off, and they turn on some disco'ish lighting around he walls. Just enough to see the other cyclists as they rise into the standing attack.

It certainly brings a sweat on.

Food is king for the youngsters.

Had a lad at my gym worked his nuts off, stayed skinny - one of the old sweats had a word with him and said eat like a horse (clean as you can) until you feel sick for just one month and see what happens. Just needed to tip over that calorie burn threshold, which for young 'uns with silly metabolisms can be sky high.

It worked, and then some, really packed it on.
I remember from listening to Jocko Willink (former SEAL) on a podcast that when he had problems putting on Muscle weight during SEAL training. He used to go to the cookhouse and scavenge up all the leftover chicken nuggets and force those down.

my lad was still eating normally and having a protein shake after training and still looked lean, but slightly bigger muscles and better definition. I must admit though I did subtely restrain his training as I did not want him to damage himself at 16. My brother caused himself knee problems by building too much muscle around the leg area When he was 15. My lad is 18 in the new year, should be more or less fully developed now so he is going to go a bit Op Massive On himself and build up.

Got to think long term though. Op Massive is a big thing here, especially with the kids who play american football. You see them when they have reached 30 years plus, not training anymore, discovered beer and it has all turned to lard,

Everything I am reading now from the medical and human physiology world is consistent. For the majority of humans (standfast polar explorers) you cannot outlift or outrun a bad or excessive diet. If you want to lose weight and maintain a lower weight, you need to reduce your calorie intake permanently. There are 7,700 calories in one kilogram of fat. So to lose 1 kg a week you'd need to consume 1100 calories less per day. There's a lot of evidence that calorie restriction diets 800 - 1000 cals / day work until you have achieved target weight. I have yet to see anything convincing about protein supplements from any source apart from sports nutrition manufacturers. A healthy diet with plant, fish, dairy and white meat is more than enough for most of the human race. Obviously for a healthy, fit body with that has good CV performance, strength and suppleness, you need an active lifestyle and an appropriate exercise regime.

Latest Threads