Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting out at the gym

So here it is, I've decided to start out at the gym alone, I'm roughly 5ft 9 and 85 kg, have a little bit of a belly fat problem, my goals are to trim belly fat and build up upper body strength,

Some may have responded earlier to my post about "deadlifting" but for now I've decided starting from scratch seems the way forward and that means focusing on the basics, now I'm not a big fan of running but there are good bikes available at David Lloyds so yesterday I gave it 2 x 15 minute sessions and for now I'll be using bikes for 15 mins at the beginning and end of each session.

What I'm really needing is a good workout routine focusing on going to the gym 3-4 times a week and each time concentrating on a different part of the body so like legs, arms, upper body etc, I'm happy to push myself a bit until I'm upto a reasonable standard and than can start thinking about looking like a super hero.

These are previous readings from a Bodytrax machine in DL mid September, will update on the 18th of this month,

Any apps etc which will be familiar with kit and all the rest would be appreciated, bearing in mind DL has everything a gym freak could wish for

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-04 at 14.25.50 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-04 at 14.25.50 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-04 at 14.25.50 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-04 at 14.25.50.jpeg

To lose weight you need to follow this formula:

Calories in > calories out = you get fat.
Calories in = calories out = you stay the same.
Calories in < calories out = you lose weight.

You should aim to take in the same amount of calories you currently have - instead of the crappy food though such as crisps, sweets, crap in jars/tins etc - replace those with good stuff such as chicken, meat, mixed veg etc. Your aim is to replace the fat with muscle- so do some muscle building exercises such as weight lifting, and some cardio such as swimming, jogging or a game of football/tennis etc.

Also it takes time to get fit - the same as it takes to get fat. Don't expect instant results - these things take time.

You could do worse than follow the youtube clip I left in your other thread.
I think that was No1 of 4. It goes:
Chest and biceps
Legs
Day off
Shoulders and triceps
Back
Day off and repeat.
You might not have all the kit in your gym that DY uses so change a few things around to suit you.
Well worth a go though.

In_Twists

Old-Salt
Everyone wants instant results.
If you're rich enough to have servants do all the menial tasks (cooking, cleaning, washing, school run... ad infinitum), no problem - you will do it.

If youre a mere mortal however, it wil take time with rest days/family stuff/cant be arsed days etc.

Dont, please, dont just embark on a strength programme (weightlifting). It will zap the soul out of you when you dont see that belly disappearing.

Circuit training or cross fit is for you. Every session has strength, cardiovascular and core exercises.
Regular training, with cutting out crap food will see you where you want to be. Timescale? Does the river not grow mightier the closer it gets to the sea?

Niamac

GCM
Having been denied the pool for 6 months I noticed that I was putting on a bit of weight so I decided to do something about it. Continued with the morning exercises; mixture of pilates, calisthenics and some specifics for joints but more religiously.

Stopped all sugary treats; cakes etc and improved the cooking to what I used to get when younger. Still eating what I like (none of this stealthy veganism); just a bit less and on the occasional day not eating a lot after breakfast. (Big pig-outs now and again; no need to get regimental about things.)

Weight came down slowly, an inch or two off the waist and I'm now lighter than I've been for years.

The pool is now open, a bit restricted but happily it is mainly for swimmers rather than standers-around. Should take about 6 weeks to restore a bit of power and speed. Feel a lot better for it.

The trick will be to keep going in the dark mornings. Had a go at 7am but that's too bloody early; 8.30 is fine.

5x5 mate - we told you in the other thread.

Do a few rounds of that and you'll learn plenty to then make informed decisions. You'll start light so you can work on form, but it gets challenging soon enough.

There's an App, it's mong-proof.

Good luck.

+1 for any 5x5 novice linear progression programme. Squat, bench, deadlift. Run it for a month or two, then come back and discuss a DUP style programme.

So here it is, I've decided to start out at the gym alone, I'm roughly 5ft 9 and 85 kg, have a little bit of a belly fat problem, my goals are to trim belly fat and build up upper body strength,

Some may have responded earlier to my post about "deadlifting" but for now I've decided starting from scratch seems the way forward and that means focusing on the basics, now I'm not a big fan of running but there are good bikes available at David Lloyds so yesterday I gave it 2 x 15 minute sessions and for now I'll be using bikes for 15 mins at the beginning and end of each session.

What I'm really needing is a good workout routine focusing on going to the gym 3-4 times a week and each time concentrating on a different part of the body so like legs, arms, upper body etc, I'm happy to push myself a bit until I'm upto a reasonable standard and than can start thinking about looking like a super hero.

These are previous readings from a Bodytrax machine in DL mid September, will update on the 18th of this month,

Any apps etc which will be familiar with kit and all the rest would be appreciated, bearing in mind DL has everything a gym freak could wish for

View attachment 509573
View attachment 509574
View attachment 509575
View attachment 509576
Which DL? I am also a DL member, if our training coincides we could buddy up?

I am trying to lose some excess belly fat, but actually managed to lose some injury spread over lockdown as less work travel.

Now down to about 90kg, at 6ft tall, and back to a 33 inch waist.

I find for pure cardio the spinning bikes with pre made routines are excellent.

My intent from tomorrow is to do one of the @Home yoga classes if I can fund one that fits, otherwise it is YouTube, then Tues and Thurs are cardio days with mon/wed/Fri home based mobility and core days. Keep doing that until down to 85kg ish, then swap 2 of yoga type sessions for strength. On top of that I am kayaking when I can get away from childcare and 2x jobs.

clanky

War Hero
5x5 mate - we told you in the other thread.

Do a few rounds of that and you'll learn plenty to then make informed decisions. You'll start light so you can work on form, but it gets challenging soon enough.

There's an App, it's mong-proof.

Good luck.
Plus one for 5x5. Simple and effective.

bestri10

Old-Salt
i just do push strength, pull strength , lower strength, rest, push hypertrophy, pull hypertrophy, lower hypertrophy, rest and continue the cycle like that currently, if you want to see relatively quick progress in the gym you want to be hitting each lift or muscle group 2-4 times a week, 2 is probably enough especially being new, in terms of losing weight or that bit of belly fat it will mainly be your diet, this i cannot help you with, i eat shit often but as long as i feel like i am getting enough protein, carbs and fats in to help cope with going to the gym and 5-6 runs a week in i am happy

There are a lot of good programs out there. In addition to 5 X 5, you might consider these.

Starting Strength is designed for absolute novices. You might not like it, because it's not a split routine where you work a different body part each session. SS is based around the Big Four: Squat, Bench. Deadlift and Overhead Press. You Squat and Deadlift three times per week, Bench(or Overhead Press)twice if IIRC. It's somewhat boring, but it dials in the technique for the major lifts and increases strength very quickly if you are a beginner.

Wendler's 5/3/1 can also be used by novices, but takes a little more effort to program. Basically, you work one of the Big Four each session, for 3 sets of 5 the first week and 3 sets of 3 the second. On the third week, you do a set of 5, a set of 3 and then try as many reps as possible on the last, "1" set, with the heaviest weight you can lift safely. You take an easy week after that and then start the 5's week again, increasing the weight by about 5%.

This is a mate of my lads, 17 years old. He started training 2.5 months ago, he has a strict diet and does the gym about 5 times a week - his training and diet package is put together by a personal trainer at the gym. My lad did the same last year and only stopped due to covid and will pick up again as soon as he can - he does not like the idea of being in a sweaty gym with covid kicking around at the moment.

Before.

After

I nicked the pics off his instagram. He started a little side business about 18 months ago and now makes $5000 a month whilst still at school so he bought himself a porker 911, then an Audi R8 (both 2nd hand) and with his cool young man about town image he needed the body to go with it as his money he was attracting babes.

Points to note: My lad tells me that septics go at it with steroids too and that he has been in the changeing room when people are shooting up. He told me another of his schoolmates who is a huge american football player attends regularly with his dad and they both shoot up in the changeing room.

Last edited:
I was a proponent of starting strength until I realised what a knob Rip was. But the programming is sound, just needs more volume ie 5x5 instead of 3x5 and 1x5 for dead lift. Chuck in as much bro work as you can be arsed with ie arms, shoulders.

This is a mate of my lads, 17 years old. He started training 2.5 months ago, he has a strict diet and does the gym about 5 times a week - his training and diet package is put together by a personal trainer at the gym. My lad did the same last year and only stopped due to covid and will pick up again as soon as he can - he does not like the idea of being in a sweaty gym with covid kicking around at the moment.

Before.

After

I nicked the pics off his instagram. He started a little side business about 18 months ago and now makes $5000 a month whilst still at school so he bought himself a porker 911, then an Audi R8 (both 2nd hand) and with his cool young man about town image he needed the body to go with it as his money he was attracting babes.

Points to note: My lad tells me that septics go at it with steroids too and that he has been in the changeing room when people are shooting up. He told me another of his schoolmates who is a huge american football player attends regularly with his dad and they both shoot up in the changeing room.
Get him on a pull up bar and rings - his body will explode

I was a proponent of starting strength until I realised what a knob Rip was. But the programming is sound, just needs more volume ie 5x5 instead of 3x5 and 1x5 for dead lift. Chuck in as much bro work as you can be arsed with ie arms, shoulders.

Yeah, Rip's a dick. He developed a program that allows beginners to milk their Noob Gains as much as possible, which is a bloody good way to start weight training. Unfortunately, it went to his head and he now considers himself an expert on all aspects of strength training. He isn't,

Greyskull - insert Hot Fuzz joke here - is another program that is based on SS but is more flexible and does allow for, "bro lifting" like Bicep Curls etc.

Get him on a pull up bar and rings - his body will explode

Thats how my lad started, gymnastics - he did rings, determined little stick insect that he was. He never built much mass, still looking pretty much like a stick insect, until last year though when he went at it in an organised manner and put on some muscle weight.

He found Chris (Thor) Hemsworths workout routine and tips online and built himself a training program from that. He admits himself he could have done better if he cut out the pizzas, nuggets and chips every so often. He is now planning his training regime for next year to go at it properly.

Before.

After

I hope he doesn’t plan to get into photography- nice white urinal in the background there!

I'm guessing I can post updated results come the 18th regards that magical machine

Cutting down alcohol isn't hard because going to the pub is sh*t at the moment so maybe once a week and 1 or 2 pints and cutting down takeaways etc pizza and Mac D's hasn't been hard, will be getting protein shakes as well etc (whey)

Latest Threads