Starting basic training really early

Originally starting January but got a call Thursday to say I’m going in Sunday. Was just wondering if the birth certificate is compulsory? I have other forms of ID but just asking because it was on the kit list. Only been given one working day to sort it

Dalef65

Old-Salt
Why are you asking if it's compulsory... Don't you have a birth certificate..?

If it's on the list you need to take it with you.

Not unusual for parents to still have the original certificate, or for them to have become lost/damaged, so some recruits have to order replacements, contact parents to send it to them etc.

A lot of civilian workplaces only need proof of the right to work in the UK, with a valid passport being the main way to show it, so some people may not have needed to get their hands on their birth certificates yet.

When I turned up at St. Georges barracks without mine, a very pleasant Colour Sergeant asked
"What do you mean you haven't got your birth certificate? How is the army supposed to know that you were born if you don't have the paperwork to prove it?"
Mind, that was 37 years ago.
If it's on the list, you probably need it.

Basically we recently moved house and think it’s been lost somewhere between. I was originally starting in January but had about 1 working day from Thursday afternoon to sort it all

Explain your situation when you get there, allowances will be made. They wouldn't have called you forward if they didn't want you. This isn't the Army of yesteryear, we're more accommodating now. Good luck in training

Proff3RTR

Old-Salt
Basically we recently moved house and think it’s been lost somewhere between. I was originally starting in January but had about 1 working day from Thursday afternoon to sort it all
Adapt, improvise & overcome, learn those rules and sort the problem, you will be doing that a lot over the following years if you pass depot.

Blogg

LE
Originally starting January but got a call Thursday to say I’m going in Sunday. Was just wondering if the birth certificate is compulsory? I have other forms of ID but just asking because it was on the kit list. Only been given one working day to sort it

A requirement for production of Birth Certificates or paper things you can't find is something that every bureaucrat the world over has embedded in their DNA.

It is particularly nuts when all the information is already on a database.

So you will be required to obtain a paper version of that, send it to somebody who will then most likely scan it and store it on another database. And that probably won't be available to next bureacrat who "needs" it

Better get used to that.

D

Deleted 166591

@Astro

As above really.

Look for solutions and not problems. Yes, they’ve thrown you a fastball and I understand you’ll not be able to liaise with your AFCO prior to Sunday.

Get the copy ordered ASAP and printscreen/print out that confirmation. Your first week there is largely admin based and filled with various mandatory briefs. Things don’t really start to move until they run you all through the medical. So you’ll have the opportunity to explain the situation to your platoon chain of command.
Just ensure you have everything else on the kit list, particularly other forms of ID. If it isn’t already on the kit list bring your driving license, your passport and utility bills with your name and address on.

Apart from that- good luck. Remember that basic training is supposed to be hard and there will be times you feel miserable. This is normal and you shouldn’t allow weakness to grip you and think the grass is greener on the outside. Nearly everyone who quits ends up regretting it. Just take it a day at a time and remember the reasons why you wanted to join in the first place. Basic isn’t representative of real Army life. The real fun starts when you get to your unit. So play the game and try your best to enjoy it.

Top tip - Don’t try and crack it with the mindset of an individual. The quicker you learn that you need to work as a team with your oppos in your section the better. Help each other out as much and as soon as possible. Don’t be Jack and just crack on with your own admin. If your kit is gleaming whilst the man next to you is a bag of rags guess who will feel the wrath? All of you! So work together.
Good luck and work hard.

Latest Threads