Starting basic for Household Cavalry 20th January, will I miss Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'RAC' started by PemTao, Aug 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all.

Received my letter yesterday saying I start basic training at ATR Winchester on 20th January next year. As it is the current policy that all recruits go to HCMR for 2 years before HCR, and that the government's intention is to withdraw combat troops from Afghanistan in 2014, is it likely I'll miss a tour there? I'll be pretty disappointed if that's the case, I'd like to have at least 1 tour of Afghanistan.
  2. I'd say you're too late. But you neve know.

I'll just consult my crystal ball. Awmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  3. When I joined way back (very way back), NI was kicking off, I volunteered, I never got sent, in the interim I wanted to go to every damn war zone going, for the medal, for the kudos, for the gloryl. I only managed a couple, and in every one I lost a friend or colleague one way or another. Nothing special, no heroics, one even died when he got killed by a bus whilst riding a bike! It doesnt matter how you get it really does it. When we/I were young and eager we all wanted to go, now after life has kicked the shit out of us just be careful what you wish for.

Be a bit of a pisser if you went down as the last British soldier to get killed in Afghanistan eh! But please dont let this cynical old scroat put you off, I enjoyed the best part of 24 years in the mob, I hope you do to.
  4. Someone will along who's still serving, I've been out 11 years now. I know it's seems shite going Mounted first, but believe me, your admin and soldiering skills will be better after a couple of years in HCMR. The army is never quite and even more so since bloody NATO got there hands in to things. Within 5 years there will be somewhere else to go, trust me.

HCR has some very bigwig people in it and also with the 16 air assault (Was 5th Airborne when I was there, the 25 air mobile) you'll find one squadron ends up gonig somewhere.

You'll got a gong, even remember not all troops will withdrawl, there will be a few left in postings, but you'll get a tour when you leave HCMR. But for the first 2 years just go out and get wasted in the centre of London and trap off with nurses and tourists and ENJOY it!