Starting at 2100hrs on Discovery Knowledge - Gulf War

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Barrack Room Lawyer, Apr 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Starting at 2100hrs - Gulf War a Soldiers Tale. on Discovery Knowledge

Very good documentary shot in a similar style to Soldiers Stories in NI with old footage from 1991 and interviews with veterans, where did that 19 years go?

2. Veteran - crikey, am I that old.......

Bah, wasn't like this when I was a lad, where's me SLR etc etc.

:soldier:

3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

None of this internet malarkey back then

Life was a disgrace some in Dessies some with SLR's some with SMG's
    Issued field dressings from the war

Got a good welcome home on our return (free tickets for FA cup semi's)
    Papers wern't full of Bill Odies who thought it entitled them to free rail travel council houses or direct entry to boozers because they had done something different to Op Banner

Nice to take part in a populer war

4. Aye, and parcels addressed to 'A Soldier'. Usually chocolate hobnobs packed next to a bottle of Timotei......Mmmmm, the taste is with me now. First one I had was from a burd who called herself Fifi: turned out to be a 45-year old with tits like roof tilers nail bags and 3 kids *shiver*

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I remember the NBC gloves being dated 1969, I was only one when they were manufactured!! :)

Also if we were never going to go nuclear, why were we issued dosimeters (SP)?

6. Still got my diary and blueys. My hand knitted balaclava sent by Grandma X to a soldier is also in the box.

7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Removing my tin foil hat for a second, my understanding was if they went chemical we were going nuclear, but Colin Powell said later on we would bomb some dams and flood the place if they used chemicals, but why then issue dosimeters? I guess we will never know.....

8. Christ on a crutch! Who said 1991 was ancient history? Why that was just last week surely. :? We mobilized in November 1990 got issued two pr old-school desert BDUs ("chocolate chip" pattern) 2 pr desert boots, 1 brain bucket, NBC suit in a foil bag, chemical gloves, chemical boots, and 1 M17A2 mask (or if you were lucky, an M40). Body armor and webbing as appropriate. M16A2 with no fancy-smantzy Picatinny rails for mounting telescopic sights, LED flashlights/torches, etc. Nosiree Bob; iron sights are good enough for you, my lads! Felt like we were back in the days of Lawrence of Arabia as basic as our equipment was then. :twisted:

9. Holy Mother of...19 years? My airborne company was assigned to join up with the US Army's 2nd Armored Cav Reg't. After the cease-fire our crazed detachment leader--with no intel or permission from higher ups--had us drive into the recently liberated Kuwait City to take our interpreters to their homes.

We were 'caught' by an Special Forces officer who asked wtf we were doing there amongst upper-class K-city homes having lunch with one of our interpreters the whole neighborhood. Our crazy Captain then decided to 'bribe' the SF officer with the use of his detachment for as long as they wanted--ended up being two months--while he of course went back to the rear and homeward. Those two months living with the SF and a Kuwaiti Brigade HQ in the city were among the best times of my life.