Starting Application Process.

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by OJEM_UK, Dec 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I want to be a Guardsman. that's all there is to it really. My local Careers Office tells me the Coldstream Guards is my local Regiment, however I wanted to go for the Grenadiers. I don't want to wait for a place as I hear the Grenadier Guards is going to be a wait, and am not fussed at to what division of Guards I go into, can anyone advise me as to whether it's fine to choose Grenadier Guards, Coldstream Guards and Irish Guards as my 1st, 2nd and 3rd job choice? should I have shown a bit more variety or are these plausible 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices, as long as it had something to do with the Household Division, then i'm happy. I'm from Yorkshire and not getting any younger (27) BARB test next week.
  2. Why didn't you ask this at the careers office? They have nearly all the answers and they don't bite (not too much anyway). Why should you have shown a bit more variety? You want to be a Guardsman, why pick anything else if you don't want to do it?
  3. as I didn't want to wait to be allocated a place for Grenadiers if it was going to take months
  4. Best advice is to ask your local ACO, they will have all the up-to-date information you want on waiting times etc. There is a possibility that he/ she can't actually tell you that information, but it's probably unlikley. Your advisor is probably recommending the Coldstream Guards because often people want join a particular area of the Army, such as the Guards, without really knowing the differences between the regiments, which, in my humble opinion, are not that large anyway. Therefore, you will probably, in the end, find it easier to join a local regt. rather than traipsing round the country. However, if you feel you know more, and think that you suit the Grenadiers better, then you are perfectly entitled to say so. And as Eric says above, why say anything else if you don't want it?
  5. I imagine there is some sort of recruitment sticky.