Start date problem

Hi all,

I'm due to start ITC Catterick on 23rd August. The problem i have is i have just found out my mam is due to go into hospital for a pretty important operation the 1st week in september and will need somebody to look after her at home for 2-3 weeks and i am her only realistic option. Do you think if i explain the circumstances to my AFCO they will be able to put back my start date back by a month?

Because it's closed at the moment and i am going to call them 1st thing monday morning. Was just looking for a bit of advice/help over the weekend.

Yeh thats the thing, i know there are lads getting start dates for next year. Suppose i can only ask and see what they say.

I wasn't trying to be a tw@t, but suppose everyone on here said 'Yeah don't worry mate, you'll be fine'? Or even 'No chance mate, your mum's on her own 'cos once you've signed on the line it's treason if you back out of it'.

At the end of the day, no matter what anyone in Internet Land says, you're going to have to contact them. Good luck whatever happens, I know what I'd be doing.

Yeh cheers for the advice guys, i'm going to have to put it back wether it be 1 month or 6. Cheers again.

Regardless of whether it's the internet or not offering you advice, you can put the date back, however, the time window of when this new intake could be would have to be "discovered" through the afco, similar cases could pop up and you could even end up taking someone elses place if your recruiter gets you straight in there, if you're a decent bloke that is ;)

Spoke to AFCO, next available start date is 10th January!! Gutted, think were going to look at my step-dad to have a re-shuffle at work so he can be home to look after her as he's currently working in london.

Recruiter has said it will either be November or January for a new start date, just waiting for the call to confirm it.

Anybody with recruitment experience know how long it takes to allocate somebody a place at basic and for it to be confirmed? I spoke to my recruiter last week and he said my new start date would probably be 10th January and he would let me know when it had been confirmed. I rang him again today and he said nothing had been confirmed yet.

not sure how long it takes to confirm. Was given my date for basic 15th November 09 had a phone call yesterday From My ACO saying i haave been moved forward to september unaware of the exact date but going 2 months earlier........

I don't mind if my date is 10th Jan, would just like to know for defiante.

There is a hold on all Infantry allocations at the moment whilst Director Infantry waits for the Infantry Battalion Strength Report (a report that details to the man, just how many infantry soldiers we have and what they are currently doing).

The hold is in place until August, it just means that you will wait to be allocated your intake. (but it does not mean someone can be 'pencilled' in for an intake ;) ).

Under normal conditions we could ring recruiting group and just ask for a date over the phone if we were getting impatient, however people will just have to wait out.

The reason why this is happening is because as of last week, there were roughly 250 vacancies left in the Army which needed filling and then by April next year the Army will be fully manned, at the moment they are just looking at who needs the manpower most urgently, Rifles have pretty much reached their limit as have lots of other Infantry regiments, the priority is Scots, Kings, RRF and R Irish.

Also anyone now going to ADSC that wants Infantry, may well be told that they have to consider other Infantry cap badges or face the possibility of being told there is no vacancy (if they are unwilling to look at another Regiment).

Good for Army recruiting, bad for you lot that want to join, but like it or not, come September we are only taking the cream of the crop from ADSC because we will be able to from now on :)

Well i got a grade B at adsc so hopefully i should still get a date when the hold is lifted. If the situation was that i would have to look at another infantry reg then i would be willing to do that if it got me a concrete date.

You have done ADSC so do not be swayed into picking another Infantry regiment until such time as you have no choice, if it was what you want to join then ride the storm out.

A B grade should see you get allocated.

In the future when the grading system starts to sort the wheat from the chaff, only the A grades will get a guarantee of a job within a month, B's can be expected to wait up to 3 months for an intake, C's will fill the intakes when we are short on A's & B's and the poor sods who get a D might aswell join the Home Guard, its likely to have been re-introduced by the time they get in ;)