Starnge buckle probably horse related.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by BuggerAll, Mar 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I have a a strange buckle which I bought in an army surplus shop. Its brass the buckle can be opened as in the picture. When I bought it there was a piece of leather strap about 8 - 12 inches attached with holes for fitting to another buckle.

Clearly its some sort of quick release but I can't guess for what. By the nature of the buckle it has to be kept under tension or it will just fall open and undo. I wear it as a belt buckle so it is kept under tension.

If any one can id it I'd be grateful.

Attached Files:

2. Like the bit about waist belt under tension:)))) I have I believe the other one is hanging in my Wkshp door? I retrieved the leather and buckle out of scrap yard in the UK about 30 years ago. It was situated on the back wall, drivers compartment of the Austin ambulance (K2..??)passengers side. the type in Ice cold in Alex....hope that helps?

If only I could find some with my answers to WW2 records:-(((

Cheers Neil.

3. That is an old style quick release cargo buckle. I used to have them on my ex-RNAS TACR on short straps to hold the suction hoses to the bonnet frame.

They work very well and the hose never came loose unless I flipped up the trap bar (with the hole in).

Hope this helps. :wink:

4. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

RNAS TACR? Royal Naval Air Service I'm guessing and I'm also guessing some sort of fuel tender or fire engine - Google was no help.

5. Tender, Airfield Crash Rescue if memory serves correctly.

6. Sorry, yes that's right.