Stark Contrast between Police at London "demonstrations" and This

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by jumpinjarhead, Dec 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yea, it’s like comparing the CIA to the KGB............

actually.....

2. Gives the British bobby a hell of a lot of scope if you set the standards as being those of a sub-saharan African country at election time!

Perhaps West African police could come on 'training missions' to teach the Met how to do things properly. (All expenses paid trip, of course, and you'd probably only need to buy a one way ticket as they would all miss their return flights.)

3. I understand the difference to which you allude but the point is that there is such a difference.

4. I understand the difference to which you allude but the point is that there is such a difference unless you are suggesting there is something inherently different between the African and European continents besides climate and skin color.

5. My point is that it is a silly comparison and as an American I would have thought you would understand people’s right in a western democracy to protest without fear of brain damage or death. Instead of implying we should all just sit down, shut up and do what we are told and be glad we aren’t being shot.

The only difference between my comparisons is I am not sure the KGB was ever involved in overthrowing other countries governments.

6. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It wasn't exactly a peacful protest in London, was it? The reality is that any other country would have used water cannons at least and probably would have resorted to CS gas and baton rounds based on the level of violence from the protesters. I think that this is another example of comparative restraint from the police.

Also remember that we only get to hear one side of the story. Was the guy with the head injury really trying to escape the crowd as he claims? If he was then why was he at the front of the riot and why was he the only one hit by a baton?

7. I don't get the point of this one is our American friend suggesting we turn London into Harare to stop protests or Beijing who are richer and use tanks?

"The only difference between my comparisons is I am not sure the KGB was ever involved in overthrowing other countries governments" left out the arming and training of foreign governments rebel groups and drugs in Vietnam that found its way mostly onto American camps. kgb paranoia did help to cause a nuclear meltdown so the score at the moment is 3-1 to America

8. It is very easy for a peaceful protest to turn in to a riot when you chuck foreign anarchists and riot police in to the mix, the stand off quickly forms when the lines are drawn. Regardless whether you are at the front or the back, I didn’t realise British Police procedure was to beat people to the extent their brain becomes mush.

9. You are missing my point---we in "western democrac[ies] ( I would note again in my pendant fashion that the US is a "republic" but the point is the same) too often take for granted that there is some innate difference we enjoy compared to the rest of the world that ensures we have the kinds of protections to which you refer.

Unless one subscribes to the bigoted views of progressivism (that brought us such great ideas as eugenics), it is by the grace of (get ready for it and avert your gaze if needed) God that we enjoy the freedom from such abuse as occurred in the Ivory Coast.

10. See my post above to answer your question abut the intent of my post that is exactly the opposite of what you surmise.

11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You don't think the Soviets (and by extension the KGB) were involved in Vietnam, the repression in Eastern Europe and the Baltics nations not to mention the various 'stans. South America, Africa and some dodgy little plots in our own back garden.

You may have some sort of chip on your shoulder with regard to uncle Sam but to pretend that the KGB was not an aggressive and threatening arm of a deeply criminal government is to ignore the facts. Uncle Sam may have made mistakes, some quite bad ones but they are still the best hope of the free world.

I think you will also find that JJH was employing an amount of irony in his post. Its type of humour that Americans use and that used to be popular on this side of the pond.

12. Very perceptive of you old fellow....;-)