Stargazing

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by DesktopCommando, Mar 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Found this news article and link if anyone fancies viewing into the frame better than some birds bedroom

BBC News - Picture captures a billion stars

Scientists have produced a colossal picture of our Milky Way Galaxy, to reveal the detail of a billion stars.

It is built from thousands of individual images acquired by two UK-developed telescopes operating in Hawaii and in Chile.

Archived data from the project, known as the Vista Data Flow System, will be mined by astronomers to make new discoveries about the local cosmos.

But more simply, it represents a fabulous portrait of the night sky.

"There are about one billion stars in there - this is more than has been in any other image produced by surveys," said Dr Nick Cross from the University of Edinburgh.

"When it was first produced, I played with it for hours; it's just stunning," he told BBC News.

Dr Cross has been presenting the new work to the UK National Astronomy Meeting (NAM) here in Manchester.

....more on linky above

IIPMooViewer 2.0 :: IIPImage High Resolution HTML5 Ajax Image Streaming Viewer

2. Fascinating, thanks for the link. I quickly went cross-eyed looking at them, though. Any chance of getting a version with the main constellations marked? I couldn't find The Plough, so got totally lost.

The same newspaper has a report that there are billions of habitable planets as well. How fortunate that none appear to have life forms that can reach us. Soon, however, they may feel the wrath of the human race, muhahaha. Not led by me, though, as I obviously can't navigate.

3. 'Tens of billions' of planets in habitable zones - Yahoo! News UK

[​IMG]

A scan of small, cool stars in the Milky Way suggests our galaxy has "tens of billions" of rocky planets located like Earth in zones where life can exist, European astronomers say.

The European Southern Observatory (ESO) says it found nine "super-Earths" in a sample survey of 102 stars known as red dwarves.

"Super-Earths" are rocky planets -- as opposed to gassy giants -- that orbit their stars in the so-called Goldilocks zone, where the temperature is neither too hot nor too cold but just right to have the potential to nurture life.