Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by long_tall_frenchie, Jan 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I bought myself some aerosol spray starch expecting razor sharp creases in my kit. I turned the sleeve of my C95 shirt inside out and sprayed down the crease, turned it right way round again and tried to iron it. Immediately the whole thing gummed up and looked a state and it was a rush to get the bugger cleaned and ironed (without starch) in time.

I've searched the forums but can't find any instructions on how to use the stuff. And the wider internet has 101 different techniques. I was wondering if someone could give me a tip or two..?
  2. Forget starch, if you really want a nice crease in your cs95's rub either soap or prit stick along the inside of your crease and when you have ironed it imediately "pop" the crease open and you should have a prominant crease.
  3. I find spraying it then letting it dry for a few moments before going anywhere near it with the iron.
  4. Soap is good, or even zinc oxide tape down the inside will give a good crease once ironed
  5. i used candles in basic
  6. you dont turn uniform inside out. you spray starch straight onto outside of clothing wait a few seconds then iron.

an other way is to use soap. turn clothing inside out rub bar of soap up and down the crease. turn clothing back right way and iron as normal. soap will stick together giving good creases.

hope this helps
  7. Iron the kit first and then spray the starch on the opposite side of the sleeve or trouser leg thats being ironed ie the side thats not going to have the direct heat of the iron, and then press.This will prevent the white marks or 'gumming' up but will still give you the razors you desire.
  8. If you've got time, spray on the starch and allow to dry totally, then iron with loads of steam.
  9. So much for getting one definitive reply! Thanks a lot anyway, I'll try out your suggestions, except, Bloodforblood, I don't fancy Pritt stick. While I was searching for tips on starch use I found one or two threads saying that it was best avoided as it can lead to disaster and even if it doesn't, it sticks to your legs. Furthermore someone is bound to spot it and administer a bollocking.
  10. I've got till tomorrow. I'll go and try now. If it all goes tits-up then I still have time to get a wash through then iron it the normal way. Thanks a lot.
  11. ...Well... It didn't makea horrible mess this time, but to be honest I can't see any difference between this and without starch. Hmmm...
  12. get the wife to iron it for you!
  13. There isn't that much of a difference with CS95.

A damn good iron is what is needed.

The problem with using starch is uniform looks absolute dog toffee after an hour wearing it.
  14. Buy some decent starch, not Netto budget range. Iron damp clothes to establish one decent crease where you want it and get rid of any other creases. Then spray starch onto the outside of the clothes; don't be stingy with it; you need a bit to keep the creases in the knees and pockets of trousers and necks and pockets of shirts; and iron away, applying pressure, until you have satisfactory creases.

White marks can be removed with soap, or at least turned a darker less obvious colour with iodine.
  15. I didn't do my cs95 shirt, I just grabbed an old cotton shirt of mine that I'm not too bothered about. Christ, is it worthwhile?