Star Wars

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Jerrycan2793, Apr 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just watching the Family guy version of a new hope, The thought occurred to me if Han Solos shooting had been a little more accurate or the rebels did a sweep and clear post battle and killed or captured Darth what would the outcome be?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  2. RezzaDue

RezzaDue Old-Salt Book Reviewer

a dull thread on arrse?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. No doubt about it.
  4. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Hollywood would have been saved from films which put special effects before storylines and we might still see intelligent scripts as a result?
  5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

^effects were coming regardless and you must admit the digital effects started with the like of babylon 5 have improved things compared to the mylar and bubble wrap days of doctor who and blakes 7.

it is a shame when films lose acting to effects though ruining the storylines because the yanks cant sit still for long enough between burgers, some films would barely make a tv show if it wasn't for commercial breaks.
  6. Actually, I disagree. Blake's 7 was extremely well-written, the SFX were poor by today's standards but most modern sci-fi and indeed 'action' films use effects in place of things like plot, dialogue and suspense. Watching someone being hurled through the air by a massive nearby explosion and landing intact other than a few cuts, may be a striking image, but it is even more absurd than wobbly sets and no substitute for an actual story.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. The results would be that Prince Xizor, would have taken Vader's place as favourite, the Black Sun crime gang would have been ascendant and probably a lot more diligent in the bounty hunters that looked to capture Skywalker. The Emperor would still have got hold of Luke, but without a Darth to throw him down the centre of the Death Star II, the Emperor would have killed Luke and won at Endor. Then the Rebel Alliance would have been rolled up.

Sorry if that is a little too geek but there you have it.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Bollocks.... Babylon 5 was still using video toaster long after it was dead in the market... although to a greater extent and with better results than other production companies.

And this Yank is not a big fan of any modern plotless movies, er effects showcases...

I much prefer Dr. Who, Red Dwarf, Hyperdrive, Doc Martin, Spaced and Foyle's War for TV...
  9. Grumblegrunt

blakes 7 was written that was because they used luvvy actors as did all bbc productions. by the sword divided on tuesday, blakes 7 on thursday :)

I torrented it and got to halfway through the third series so need to finish it off but the early effect were truly awfull but I cant say we noticed as 9 year old kids.

the straight to video sci fi of the time certainly didn't use effects to replace plot as there was barely enough plot to go around.

some films of the time managed to fill both okay - silent running, the black hole to name two I can remember before alien changed everything.
  10. "Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your mother."

"No. I am your mother."
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Grumblegrunt

babylon 5 was using souped up amigas for the digital work and they probably kept using what they knew as it was easier. just like several musical artists kept their old atari st set ups going well past their sell by date. some are still being used by those never through it away types. it made production cheaper than the 1 million an episode star trek next gen was being made for back when a million was a lot of money.

it made effects affordable before the PC technologies caught up. lucas arts practised by making PC video games rather successfully.

red dwarf carried on using models and black screen because it proved cheaper and they had the staff to hand - it also added a certain charm to the affair.

I think the next worthy step up was stargate sg1 which managed to keep live action and effects working well.
  12. Ahh, Lightwave... It's still going, you know.

I went to a Broadcast Expo a year or two ago, and was pleasantly surprised to encounter Kiki Stockhammer on the Newtek stand!

(And, yes, I still would...)
  13. mmm now you have reminded me of Servalan