Star Wars, The Old Republic

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by buggrit, Nov 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yep, ive had it pre-ordered for a while, I am in this weekends test and have also been quite lucky as I have been in two previous beta tests.

I really like it based on my experiences so far. Graphics are good and fit the scene, they aren't really at the standard of some new single player games but MMO's never are as they are geared toward a much wider audience.

2. I've been told that the graphics are kinda on par with KOTOR (1 and 2) which is fine by me. Watched a few of the videos last night and must say I'm looking forward to playing it.

3. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

I had KOTOR I and KOTOR II for the old XBox - loved both of them. I can imagine this would make a handsome addition to the XBox 360 Games collection.

4. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

What's the monthly subscription like?

5. It's only for PC mate as its a MMPORG. No idea if XBox would ever do one as a MMPORG wouldnt port over to console very well.

6. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

For XBox Live? It varies, but you can buy 12 months / 3 months / 1 month etc from Amazon -don't give Microsoft your credit card details under any circumstances - especially with the fraud probs they've had recently. And the fact that they 'roll-over' your membership - it's in the small print apparently. And it's a nightmare cancelling it down too - best to stick with the prepaid 12 months for around £35

7. Looks like it's going to be around £8.99

8. I can't honestly remember, or remember if anything official has been announced. However I would expect it to be on par with games like WoW. The initial game is fairly expensive though, dependant on where you get it from, best part of £50 for the standard edition.

9. Get it from Amazon, £37 and some pence.

10. BrunoNoMedals

I can't bring myself to pay that much to play a game anymore. I don't mind initial investments, but you essentially pay for the game again every four months whether you're playing it regularly or not. F2P games are generally much shitter, but at least you can be casual about them! I'm actually quite impressed with the way LOTRO has implemented F2P so far.

11. I see your point, but I've cut down on the ale, and if £8.99 which is 3 pints, helps keep me out of the local then its money well spent, and not missed. I've tried all the F2P ones, couldnt handle LOTRO for long. I've always had a thing for the Star Wars universe (played them all since X Wing vs TIE Fighter on the Amiga) and loved SWG before they destroyed it with the "combat upgrade" so I'm hoping this is going to be a game that keeps me interested for a while.

12. The main problem I have with F2P games is that, in reality, they are Pay2Win. You can play it without paying anything, fair enough, but most of the time you will always be behind the drag curve or sub-par in character ability if you don't buy the 'perks' from the item mall.

I have a lifetime sub for LOTRO, so although I paid well over £100 (I think, possibly closer to £200) at the time, it has paid for itself several times over since then. I also get free monthly gold for the item mall, so don't even have to buy anything there.

13. BrunoNoMedals

Agree with the Pay2Win theory, but at least you get to choose when you pay. I've invested a few quid in LOTRO already and it's made a difference. I'm considering buying a couple of the quest packs as and when I get to the appropriate level, but it will be when I want to buy it. The chances of me spending £100 a year on small upgrades is slim!

14. And thats the way to play the F2P model. In reality, many people aren't that disciplined and will probably spend more in a F2P Item Mall game than they would on a monthly sub they just don't realise it.