Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Hyped or worth it? (May contain Spoilers)

EDIT FROM MOD: THIS THREAD IS FULL OF BLOODY SPOILERS, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Yesterday, I went out to watch The Last Jedi. I enjoyed it for sure, and more than The Force Awakens. But on reflection, as a massive SW fan, I'm not 100% sure I like the post Disney route the series is going.

I think my reservations are based on the following points:

• Too many 'gags' as opposed to humour.
  • Not convinced killing off original series characters is worth it, presumably to allow some of the 2-dimensional snowflake generation replacements to get into the series.
  • After RotJ, was the Rebel Alliance/Republic really so stupid, after blowing up 2 Death Stars, to allow the First Order to get that powerful?
  • Too many unanswered questions. I know JJ Abrams made 'Lost' string along ad infinitem, but is that necessary in SW?
  • Storylines mirroring original films.

I have not gone 'full geek' with an in-depth rant about canon/continuity errors - just wonder if there are any other SW fans here who watched and had misgivings?

PS my new order of preference: VI (RotJ), IV (ANH), V (ESB), I (TPM), Rogue One, VIII (TLJ), VII (TFA), III (RotS), II (AotC).

Last edited by a moderator:
we've just had a quick discussion about this at work, one of the support guys has been to see it and I jokingly asked if it involved any massive weapons of planetary destruction or hanging about waiting for a force field to be turned off.
Apparently, once again, the rebels need to turn something off to continue.

really liked, a bit of a different feel but for me a good ballance of humour and violence. Always good to kill off a few characters in unexpected moments . Keeps the series fresh .

I went and watched it with my wife on Friday, and we thought it was pretty good. It’s worth bearing in mind that it is an ‘in between film’, much like The Empire Strikes back. That film wasn’t particularly well received when it first came out, yet now it’s regarded as one of the best in the series.

There were some good moments in it, especially the throne room battle with Kylo and Rey.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
**SPOILER ALERT**

I thought it was really well written. For two years people have been debating who Snoke is, where is Rey from, is Luke her father, etc

It turned out all of that was irrelevant.

Snoke's just some bad guy who hasn't learned in all these years of the Sith, that when you train up an apprentice, there's a good chance he's gonna slot you when you're not looking. Hell, Anakin has only just been crowned Lord Vader and he was already chuntering to Padme he was going to overthrow the old boy. No loyalty these fellas...

Rey is a nobody who's force-sensitive. Some people have it, some people don't. The whole point of this film is themed around a small spark, igniting the fire of hope etc - and rather than huge characters with a massive back-story and the whole universe centering around them - it transpires that any old tramp with a knack of being able to shift a few rocks and split a lightsabre in two can have a go. Like some intergalactic version of X Factor, the Jedi auditions have begun...

Luke does his David Copperfield thing to help the Resistance scarper, but he's tired. Like a bloke who's seen his fair share of action, he's retired to his man-cave to live out his life alone and watch the Six Nations in peace. The last thing he needs is someone traversing the galaxy to the most "unfindable" place in the universe to nag him to do his Jedi chores... so his last act is to do a "Yoda" and leave his clothes behind as he transcends to become one with The Force.

The acting is about as good as it gets with Star Wars casts. Ok... nobody's going up for a gong on this one, but compared to Hayden Christensen's "You underestimate my powers!" and Jar Jar Binks cringe-worthy lines - mesa thinking theesa guys done good this time, okey-day?

We do get a slight show of "Force" from Leia - keeping herself alive in space and getting herself back to the ship, telepathically linking back to Luke again... unfortunately the same cannot be said for our old favourite fish-head, Admiral Snackbar. He should have listened to his own advice from ROTJ, "It's a trap, Admiral!"

I think if I had to sum up - this was all about the Auld Guard handing over the ropes to the new kids on the block - the seeds have been sown. Force sensitive little b&stards are springing up all over the place and the Dark Side are down to 50% strength in terms of Sith Lords alone. For me that means Episode IX is like a blank canvas in terms of who goes where, who does what and how many years will pass in fictional terms between a long time ago and not so long time ago in a galaxy, far, far away.

9/10

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I enjoyed it, but wish they had given Luke a better send-off. i think one thing they miss in most of the films so far is just how powerful a Jedi is! The closest to it so far is the ease with which Vader cut through the defending Rebels at the end of Rogue One. I would have liked Luke to have done some kind of bad-assery taking down of the At-Ats in the final battle.
Kind of sad though, presumably they will kill off leia off screen and Kylo Ren will die as per baddies do, so by the end of Episode 9, Both Solo and Skywalker families will be no more.

I'm waiting for R2' to go postal

EDIT FROM MOD: THIS THREAD IS FULL OF BLOODY SPOILERS, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Yesterday, I went out to watch The Last Jedi. I enjoyed it for sure, and more than The Force Awakens. But on reflection, as a massive SW fan, I'm not 100% sure I like the post Disney route the series is going.

I think my reservations are based on the following points:

• Too many 'gags' as opposed to humour.
  • Not convinced killing off original series characters is worth it, presumably to allow some of the 2-dimensional snowflake generation replacements to get into the series.
  • After RotJ, was the Rebel Alliance/Republic really so stupid, after blowing up 2 Death Stars, to allow the First Order to get that powerful?
  • Too many unanswered questions. I know JJ Abrams made 'Lost' string along ad infinitem, but is that necessary in SW?
  • Storylines mirroring original films.

I have not gone 'full geek' with an in-depth rant about canon/continuity errors - just wonder if there are any other SW fans here who watched and had misgivings?

PS my new order of preference: VI (RotJ), IV (ANH), V (ESB), I (TPM), Rogue One, VIII (TLJ), VII (TFA), III (RotS), II (AotC).
Am I missing something? it's not a F**king documentary but rather little light entertainment why should it make any more sense than the "Clangers" or "Thunderbirds" ? I shall carry on frothing at the mouth and ranting about 'I should have been born in 1890'

BigT

LE
I saw it in 3D this afternoon and quite enjoyed it it's not the best but far from the worst and it had Ade Edmondson in it, it's a pity he didn't go full Vyvyan.

Am I missing something? it's not a F**king documentary but rather little light entertainment why should it make any more sense than the "Clangers" or "Thunderbirds" ? I shall carry on frothing at the mouth and ranting about 'I should have been born in 1890'
The long convoluted thesis on something that does not exist had me baffled, its an escapist film, nothing more, no more relevant on the real world than the loch ness monster or the yeti, its a film, enjoy it, and then emerge back into reality, Star Wars, for people who cannot take drugs.

The long convoluted thesis on something that does not exist had me baffled, its an escapist film, nothing more, no more relevant on the real world than the loch ness monster or the yeti, its a film, enjoy it, and then emerge back into reality, Star Wars, for people who cannot take drugs.
I would like to add to the list of Loch Ness monster and the yeti shopping at Argos for the quality christmas gift.

I would like to add to the list of Loch Ness monster and the yeti shopping at Argos for the quality christmas gift.
Off thread for a minute, Argos, yes, Chav central, home of the ideas challenged, my middle daughter wanted me to take her there, In the car, I refused as it shows a lack of imagination, and a lazy attitude to shopping, that's it rant over, back to star wars and the hopes and aspirations of the mentally anorexic.

I didnt like it - 3/10

The silly storyline regarding the Capital ships that can only travel at the same speed/ the ridiculous open scene where a single fighter leaves the dreadnought defenseless against the 'bombers'.../the Feminist character who has to fly a suicide mission ( the awkward lead up dialogue with Leia was apparently written by Carrie fisher), L. Skywalker looks like an old Alky/ Snoke...killed off..great character development there/ Phasma - another character killed before we know anything/four or five of Snokes bodyguards nearly best the two most powerful force users and Leia saving herself using the force while unconscious.

Crap.

LmH

Old-Salt
I don't plan on seeing it (but I don't mind reading spoilers on the internet). I don't know whether it's any good but there is currently a lot of strong disapproval of it to be viewed on YouTube.

Edited to add: As far as films go, it is easy to be ungrateful these days with so much fantastic entertainment.

Last edited:
I didnt like it - 3/10

The silly storyline regarding the Capital ships that can only travel at the same speed/ the ridiculous open scene where a single fighter leaves the dreadnought defenseless against the 'bombers'.../the Feminist character who has to fly a suicide mission ( the awkward lead up dialogue with Leia was apparently written by Carrie fisher), L. Skywalker looks like an old Alky/ Snoke...killed off..great character development there/ Phasma - another character killed before we know anything/four or five of Snokes bodyguards nearly best the two most powerful force users and Leia saving herself using the force while unconscious.

Crap.
Thats appalling how am I going to sleep at now you've told me this? Or shall I just suspend my belief system in the cinema and just treat the whole thing as a FILM.

Thats appalling how am I going to sleep at now you've told me this? Or shall I just suspend my belief system in the cinema and just treat the whole thing as a FILM.
Thats up to you - I obviously suspend any belief system...that doesn't mean common sense goes out the window.

And I didnt mention the stupid warbling birds. Its as thought they wrote the screen play, but only had a small child and a disney toy rep as a guide.

Latest Threads