Star Wars-style laser technology to reach battlefield

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hackle, Jul 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. And the next step is . . .

I wonder what power requirements this system has.
  3. 4 x AAA
  4. Can't be much more than the phalanx needs already!!!!
  5. And will the MOD be able to afford this at all, and if so in sufficient numbers ?

Sounds like it might be useful for the RN though
  6. Now if they can just get the power and rate of fire to the point where it can't be overwhelmed by a couple of dozen mortars firing volleys, then we may have the next generation of point defence weaponry. Until then, it looks from here like an expensive way of saving Phalanx ammunition.
  7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Sounds like a plan, for the 'stan, Stan!

Phalanx ammo costs is not the main problem. The Phalanx system doesn't get all the incoming as the report notes (in which an RAF officer was killed when 2 out of four incoming got through the defences).

Anything that stops those naughty incoming rounds from hitting the deck intact is worth every penny. Imagine how many lives would have been saved by such a system. The next logical progression is stopping incoming missiles, such as those fielded by Iran and other countries.
  8. Good-oh!
    This'll be much cheaper than than having sufficient blokes on the ground to force the baseplates out of range of high value targets.

And to acheive the mission. (SP2 anyway)
  9. air-burst is better?
  10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

So long as it's away from the base, then yup. I'd rather smaller bits of inert material falling to the ground with the attendant risk to people on the deck than a solid piece of intact metal containing HE and frag.
  11. I thought they'd invented a 7-Barrel Lasling. Still this is pretty cool , just wonder about engagement speed rates , especially against multiple site launches.

Missile Command goes 21C
  12. Its been coming for a while... its just 'laser shock peening' from what i can gather, shouldn't be expensive.
  13. Boring i thought we where all getting issued light sabers , that would be gucci as
  14. Will it work on hoodies?