Star: JOBLESS TROOPS TO RAKE IN CASH AS MERCENARIES

Ahh the bastion of common sense and truth, the Daily Star.

What maritime security firms have been doing to the RM and RN for the past year or so, chaps.

Lots of blokes leaving, maybe a few desperate, grab 'e with goodskills and possibly more amenable to staying in that line of work.

There's a firm that recruits RMs(only) for maritime security throug world of mouth only... helps that the boss is a RM WO Retd.

There's a load of otherwise largely unemployable former soldiers cutting about various parts of the world earning a crust. As the IO boat stuff fades, and Afghan scales down, there's going to be a shitload of skilled up CP blokes needing to get their next meal ticket.

The "Circuit" from what I'm led to believe, is pretty chockers.

There's a load of otherwise largely unemployable former soldiers cutting about various parts of the world earning a crust. As the IO boat stuff fades, and Afghan scales down, there's going to be a shitload of skilled up CP blokes needing to get their next meal ticket.

The Maritime security world is full to bursting. Ive had lots of mates who've used resettlement grants on MS courses and very few (if any) have got paid passages. Its a very who you know buisness and I know of a couple of firms who only employ ex-booties of SNCO level and above. The market is swamped no only with newbies but also ex CP blokes coming from Iraq etc. doing their STCW cse.
Unless you have an 'in' then you'll have to be very lucky to earn a living in this way.
GOS

I met an ex bootie (FPGRM) in Dubai doing maritime protection work, he said it was very lucrative but avoid Chinese flagged vessels as the food and accommodation wasn't good and they weren't very welcoming.
Incase you are tempted

The Maritime security world is full to bursting. Ive had lots of mates who've used resettlement grants on MS courses and very few (if any) have got paid passages. Its a very who you know buisness and I know of a couple of firms who only employ ex-booties of SNCO level and above. The market is swamped no only with newbies but also ex CP blokes coming from Iraq etc. doing their STCW cse.
Unless you have an 'in' then you'll have to be very lucky to earn a living in this way.
GOS
The above is correct. I've been on the circuit now for 4 years, and it amazes me that there are still people leaving the forces to try and get on it. You'll be lucky to get a start in this business nowadays.

During my illustrious 6 months in the maritime sector of this game, I found it to be without doubt the most boring job I have ever done. I am now happily back on dry land sweating it out in Africa.

GOS
Also TCNs are now cheaper. One company last year changed all its expats for lower maintenance indians and sri lankans. They did longer rotations for less.

And has been for a few years since Iraq eased off according to friends I have on the circuit.

Lads starting out in Iraq / Afghan could look at 170 - 200 quid a day, working 8 weeks on four off. After a while you can pick up better daily rates and better rotations elsewhere. Most guys are working tax free as well, but that is a whole other topic.

Also TCNs are now cheaper. One company last year changed all its expats for lower maintenance indians and sri lankans. They did longer rotations for less.
That's what doing it. Reduce wages by 20% and stand back and watch. Most guys will say 'Sod this' and walk (I did) but there will always be a few who won't. What they're trying to do now is bring in TCNs (Eastern European) at a third of the wages.

When I started I was averaging 60k, you'll be lucky to get 38 nowadays.

Out in Iraq myself.

My medic is on $240 a day which works out at £152. Spread that over a year taking into account leave then he gets about £36,000 a year and is away for 8 months.

The grass is not ****ing greener at all.