Stanley Prismatic compass c/w bubble

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by FourZeroCharlie, May 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've found a couple of older posts on here concerning the same problem. However, given the post dates, I thought I'd see what the current received wisdom is about who, currently, might remove the bubble.

As you can see, it's a big bugger. The bubble, that is.

Attached Files:

2. Its quite a simple job to strip it down, once you have you should find a filling hole sealed with a rubber bung.

Go here Compass Fluid and it tells you what liquid to use.
  3. @ Effendi-Good man, yerself. I'll call them tomorrow.

4. Always thought that these things needed a jig to carry out any assembly/stripping?
  5. Instructions (and warnings!) here:

Compass Repairs

He's an ARRSE member incidentally, though he hasn't posted for about 15 months.
  6. IIRC the inner case can only go in one way to allow the retaining screws to be replaced so no jig is needed.

If you are concerned that stripping and reassembling it might affect its accuracy the only way to check it is on a known line of direction using a declination station.
  7. Thanks-may drop him a line.

8. Exactly. Which is why I'm more than happy to reach for my wallet for this one.
  9. My Grandfather's F. Barker & Son WWI prismatic was in a bit of a state- cracked glass, knacked card etc, dad got it all repaired at Pyser SGI, who now own and make new compasses under the F. Barker & Son name.

Pyser SGI - Products
  10. It would depend on how much it is worth, either financially or sentimentally, as to how you go about getting it repaired.

From what I have been told bubbles can be caused either by gas seperating out of the liquid or by a leak. Allegedly there is some witchcraft you can try if it is gas seperation. You gently heat the compass so that the gas is re-absorbed into the liquid. This does not mean whanging it into a microwave or using a blowtorch, no, now this may sound disgusting, but, the bloke who told me said all you need is an armpit level of heat. Personally I'd plonk it into an airing cupboard or on top of a boiler in the kitchen and see if that worked........don't forget to wave a sprig of heather at it. Seriously though, the bloke who told me was an instruement tech and he said it may possibly work short term depending on what the fill liquid is.
  11. Meh-I've heard that one before, particularly regarding older pieces of equipment with a dessicating patch (remember them? Turned blue when moisture was present): techies used to place them on a rad for a couple of days.

...........and I was told that most compass bubbles are as the result of a leak, so I guess I'll spend some money on it. Thanks anyway.