. Stanley McChrystal out as Afghan commander.

#1
Gen. Stanley McChrystal out as Afghan commander; Petraeus to take his place
Published: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 1:25 PM Updated: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 1:30 PM
Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- A source tells The Associated Press that President Barack Obama has decided to oust Afghanistan commanding Gen. Stanley McChrystal over inflammatory remarks he made about Obama and other high administration officials.
McChrystal had apologized for several disparaging remarks he made in an interview about his civilian superiors.
A source tells The Associated Press that President Barack Obama will name Gen. David Petraeus to succeed Gen. Stanley McChrystal as top war commander in Afghanistan.
Now confirmed on BBC NEWS
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#2
Skynet said:
[Now confirmed on BBC NEWS
And the other two threads on this :lol:
 
#3
Just wondering if O'Barmy has shot himself in the foot here? :? :? :?
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#4
Manley said:
Just wondering if O'Barmy has shot himself in the foot here? :? :? :?
I think so it's hard to defend the "were bringing democracy and freedoms to Afghanistan" if you sack the bloke for speaking out of line - What if Patreaus dosen't toe the line are they going to keep firing and hiring until they get someone who does?
 
#5
ON sky news now announcing McChrystal's resignation!
 
A

armadillo

Guest
#6
Talk about one upmanship, our PM apologises for a senior officer, so Obamadingdong has to go and apologise for one of his!
 
#7
Manley said:
Just wondering if O'Barmy has shot himself in the foot here? :? :? :?
Longer term I think he has.
 
#8
Is it wise to take a man who was shot in the chest in '91 during a live-firing exercise AND is in remission from prostate cancer and turn him into a political Fig 11?
 
#9
The wheels just came off the Afghan bus…
 
#10
FourZeroCharlie said:
Is it wise to take a man who was shot in the chest in '91 during a live-firing exercise AND is in remission from prostate cancer and turn him into a political Fig 11?
He incidentally, once recovered, promoted the guy who shot him apparently!

Does this mean the ISAF 2i/c is temporarily in charge out there?
 
#11
Sounds like a political decision to me - even Pres. Karzai said that he was a great general. Although Patreus is meant to be pretty incredible as well.
 
#12
Ord_Sgt said:
Manley said:
Just wondering if O'Barmy has shot himself in the foot here? :? :? :?
Longer term I think he has.
I think he has generally (no pun intended), Karzai has a good working relationship with McChrystal for one thing, and for another the Republicans are already boarding the outrage bus and putting it about that Obama can't keep a hand on the military. He'd double Fcuk himself if McChrystal went for president as a republican candidate and got it.
 
#13
"Land of the free, Home of the brave"

Not unless you count freedom of speech as exempt to that statement.
Mustn't upset obama or he'll cry and throw his dummy out of the pram.
 
#14
Yeah it's a bit sh!tty of Obama to get rid of McChrystal over a personal slight, this may cost lives on the ground if there's a sudden unplanned shift in command.
 
#16
whisky_octopus said:
Ord_Sgt said:
Manley said:
Just wondering if O'Barmy has shot himself in the foot here? :? :? :?
Longer term I think he has.
I think he has generally (no pun intended), Karzai has a good working relationship with McChrystal for one thing, and for another the Republicans are already boarding the outrage bus and putting it about that Obama can't keep a hand on the military. He'd double Fcuk himself if McChrystal went for president as a republican candidate and got it.
.......and Petraeus was (allegedly) lining up a punt for 1600 Penn Ave in 2012: is this why Bazza has sent Petraeus to Afghan?
 
#17
FourZeroCharlie said:
whisky_octopus said:
Ord_Sgt said:
Manley said:
Just wondering if O'Barmy has shot himself in the foot here? :? :? :?
Longer term I think he has.
I think he has generally (no pun intended), Karzai has a good working relationship with McChrystal for one thing, and for another the Republicans are already boarding the outrage bus and putting it about that Obama can't keep a hand on the military. He'd double Fcuk himself if McChrystal went for president as a republican candidate and got it.
.......and Petraeus was (allegedly) lining up a punt for 1600 Penn Ave in 2012: is this why Bazza has sent Petraeus to Afghan?
Never. Obama's a socialist. I bet you couldn't name me a single leftist who could be so sneaky and underhand.
 
#18
whisky_octopus said:
FourZeroCharlie said:
whisky_octopus said:
Ord_Sgt said:
Manley said:
Just wondering if O'Barmy has shot himself in the foot here? :? :? :?
Longer term I think he has.
I think he has generally (no pun intended), Karzai has a good working relationship with McChrystal for one thing, and for another the Republicans are already boarding the outrage bus and putting it about that Obama can't keep a hand on the military. He'd double Fcuk himself if McChrystal went for president as a republican candidate and got it.
.......and Petraeus was (allegedly) lining up a punt for 1600 Penn Ave in 2012: is this why Bazza has sent Petraeus to Afghan?
Never. Obama's a socialist. I bet you couldn't name me a single leftist who could be so sneaky and underhand.
Yes. Clinton x 2.
 
#19
Irony, my dear FourZero, irony.
 
#20
whisky_octopus said:
.......and Petraeus was (allegedly) lining up a punt for 1600 Penn Ave in 2012: is this why Bazza has sent Petraeus to Afghan?
Never. Obama's a socialist. I bet you couldn't name me a single leftist who could be so sneaky and underhand.[/quote]

And what you saying Octopus ? That a bunch of professional politicians in the republican party were going to say " Oh Stan we'll stand aside and give you a free reign to the path of being our presidential candidate " ?

and please define " socialist " ? is it simply anyone you don't like ?
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top