Stanford to become Middle East town

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Lucretia, Aug 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lucretia

Lucretia Old-Salt Book Reviewer

I don' think this bit of news has made it further than Norfolk, so I thought I'd share.

MoD base to become Middle East town

There's also a documentary film about a similar training village in America, in the Mojave desert in California. Film is calledFull Battle Rattle- coming soon to a cinema near you.

Very similar climate, of course, the Mojave desert and the flat lands of Norfolk...

2. Didn't this come up in an Arrse thread about training a couple of months ago?

Wouldn't it have made more sense to build this in an area where there are lots of local actors to play civpop?

Like somewhere in the Brumopolis or surrounding like say......... Swynnerton?

3. Was just about to suggest Birmingham til I saw your post :D

4. How likely would it be that the locals of Brumopolis would want to play civpop? Particularly if this is perceived by others in their community as helping the British military.

5. Lucretia

Lucretia Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Norfolk is full of local actors. Aside from the A-list ones in the posh holiday homes around the Staithes, you can't move for locals who have been extras in Inspector Linley, or Kingdom, or some bodice-ripper filmed at Holkham.
    Besides, from what I gather of the American model, the idea is that the troops act as insurgents.

6. Very likely, we have a high population of Iraqis and Punjabi Pakistanis, as well as actual Afghans. They can be sourced very quickly and easily, and most importantly, inexpensively.

7. Can't we just twin Norfolk with Hiroshima,and re-enact the day that Fat Boy was dropped?
    Move in chav mongs,politicos, etc. to play civpop.