Standby for the apocalypse!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
All those ruperts are going to have to turn their maps upside down. Imagine the chaos!
Surely just as easy to stand the Rupert on their head?

Surely just as easy to stand the Rupert on his head?
Ha! Then the Platoon Sjt. (also looking in) will see the reverse side of the map, unless the OC. can be persuaded to let go of the map first. Have you ever tried to persuade The Boss to put the map down when navigating?

its Nibiru coming close to the earth again for the billionth time since youtube has existed must be an arriva planet as it never seems to arrive when its supposed to

That's silly, if the sparkly vampires were magnetic they'd have to be ferrous metals making the sparkly bits and then they'd rust. Zombies are famous for falling apart.

Had to check whether this was in the science forum or the NAAFI Bar. It looks like the forums have temporarily reversed :eek: :lol:

GPS is great for telling me where my position is but if I want to know where North is, I use a compass or a compass app. Smartphones rely on magnetic field sensors to orientate a map correctly. Not all phones with GPS have this feature. It generally depends on the chipset used.

There are plenty of magnetic anomalies due to masses of iron bearing rocks so unless these are charted on a map with a correction factor they will cause the needle to be deflected from magnetic North (or South). That came up in another thread a while back. A solar compass is potentially useful when there is direct sunlight but not during hours of dark or when the sky is overcast.

Deutsche Welle referenced the World Magnetic Model and said that it's 2019 update has been delayed by the US Government shutdown.

Magnetic north pole is changing faster than forecast | DW | 11.01.2019

More info on the World Magnetic Model from the British Geological Survey.

World Magnetic Model (WMM) | BGS Geomagnetism

GeoBlogy: Updating the World Magnetic Model: From the centre of the Earth, straight to your pocket

It's been known for years that the magnetic pole shifts. It's reveresed a number of times throughout the history of the earth.
It wobbles and as you say, is somewhere different every year. Not sure if what is being reported is simply a commentary on the blatantly obvious or if something new is happening, its so hard to tell these days.

I have no idea how a reversal can affect GPS as they don’t use magnetism. The clue is in the P.
[wah shield up]

I’m going to SWAG and say the reduced field strength will expose anything in orbit to higher levels of high-energy particles in the solar wind.

Not a huge problem if you’re expecting your spacecraft to leave Earth’s magnetic field and design accordingly; quite possibly a problem if you haven’t.

You’d see space weather having a larger impact on planet-bound infrastructure as well - think back few years to the kerfuffle in the US, and expect that more often.

EDIT: rereading your post I think I got completely the wrong end of the question. I can’t imagine it’ll make any difference to GPS’ ability to P. Until bits of the constellation start falling out of the sky, anyway...

[wah shield up]

I’m going to SWAG and say the reduced field strength will expose anything in orbit to higher levels of high-energy particles in the solar wind.

Not a huge problem if you’re expecting your spacecraft to leave Earth’s magnetic field and design accordingly; quite possibly a problem if you haven’t.

You’d see space weather having a larger impact on planet-bound infrastructure as well - think back few years to the kerfuffle in the US, and expect that more often.

EDIT: rereading your post I think I got completely the wrong end of the question. I can’t imagine it’ll make any difference to GPS’ ability to P. Until bits of the constellation start falling out of the sky, anyway...
How far does Earth's magnetism reach? If I remember rightly, GPS orbits between 20,000 and 22,000km altitude.

How far does Earth's magnetism reach? If I remember rightly, GPS orbits between 20,000 and 22,000km altitude.
According to Wikipedia, about 65,000km on the sunward side and up to 20 times that on the trailing side.

Obviously very assymetric, and there are weak spots over the magnetic poles anyway.

Had to check whether this was in the science forum or the NAAFI Bar. It looks like the forums have temporarily reversed :eek: :lol:

GPS is great for telling me where my position is but if I want to know where North is, I use a compass or a compass app. Smartphones rely on magnetic field sensors to orientate a map correctly. Not all phones with GPS have this feature. It generally depends on the chipset used.

There are plenty of magnetic anomalies due to masses of iron bearing rocks so unless these are charted on a map with a correction factor they will cause the needle to be deflected from magnetic North (or South). That came up in another thread a while back. A solar compass is potentially useful when there is direct sunlight but not during hours of dark or when the sky is overcast.

Deutsche Welle referenced the World Magnetic Model and said that it's 2019 update has been delayed by the US Government shutdown.

Magnetic north pole is changing faster than forecast | DW | 11.01.2019

More info on the World Magnetic Model from the British Geological Survey.

World Magnetic Model (WMM) | BGS Geomagnetism

GeoBlogy: Updating the World Magnetic Model: From the centre of the Earth, straight to your pocket
I’ve got footage somewhere (on VHS cassette!) Of the deck compass going absolutely wild in northern Sweden. There were a lot of magnetic anomalies marked on the charts and In the sailing instructions; additionally many of the harbours had detection coils laid on the seabed to detect submarines. We did try a solar compass and it was actually quite effective during the very long days. It used to be taught on the offshore skippers course; I don’t know if that is the case now, sadly.

This is proof that planet Nibiru is coming, and the Freemasons are using HAARP as a global deflector shield (weather modification was just a cover story to conceal the truth). I'm pretty sure chemtrails have something to do with this also.

Why doesn't anyone listen?

More to the point, how do members of the constellation calculate and correct their position? I seem to recall ground stations being used as a reference.