Standby for the apocalypse!

They will blame it on global warming, and the only solution is to go vegan lesbian, and then they'll put a tax on meat products and create meat credits for farmers to create another tax
There you go.

I'm currently on the third part of Asimov's foundation trilogy, is that close enough ;)
Go for it, he was way ahead of his time

But then he was really a scientist writing sci-fi so not that surprising

I should re-read it, haven't looked at them for a good couple of decades

Go for it, he was way ahead of his time

But then he was really a scientist writing sci-fi so not that surprising

I should re-read it, haven't looked at them for a good couple of decades
I’ve downloaded a free audible book app called librivox

The foundation trilogy is on that, but it’s pretty good as it was done by the BBC radiophonic workshop so has an actor for each person in the books.

I suppose the Daily Mail will print an article blaming it all on Corbyn, immigrants or remainers.

......toward Serbia?

Bloody Russians again. Standby for a load of trolls saying the pole belongs in Serbia or it wasn't them, the Americans pushed the pole to Serbia or there is no pole...or the Russian men seen around the pole were looking at its wonderous height and were there to offer their help to Father Christmas.

Delete as appropriate.

Magnetic reversals occur roughly every 600,000 years. Here’s the paleomagnetic map of the Atlantic.

13A33E64-F4EB-427B-B1D9-0CE4741C6394.png

Us and the animals survived it many times in the past. We will probably survive the next reversal.

I have no idea how a reversal can affect GPS as they don’t use magnetism. The clue is in the P.

The mag to grid does seem to be speeding up though. Which is, errhh, interesting.

Magnetic reversals occur roughly every 600,000 years. Here’s the paleomagnetic map of the Atlantic.

View attachment 371214

Us and the animals survived it many times in the past. We will probably survive the next reversal.

I have no idea how a reversal can affect GPS as they don’t use magnetism. The clue is in the P.

The mag to grid does seem to be speeding up though. Which is, errhh, interesting.
West of Penzance you already have to add when going from magnetic to map, I recall reading somewhere a couple of years ago.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
West of Penzance you already have to add when going from magnetic to map, I recall reading somewhere a couple of years ago.
I've posted this before.

I used to have an exercise map of somewhere in West Germany from within a year or two of 1980. I looked in the bottom corner at the magnetic variation and its rate of change. Then I did the sums to see just how much the magnetic pole would have shifted were it a linear scale (which as we can see in the pic in the OP, it isn't).

Turns out Mag to Grid, Get Rid would have ceased to be true sometime early in the 21st Century.

Yes, because 600,000 years ago, we were swinging from the same trees as the animals. To use the old Traveller trope, the last time the poles reversed we were at Tech Level 0 and we're now at Tech Level 8, so the impacts could be quite different. I don't think survival is the issue, as there seems not to have been any mass extinction event associated with the last event, but what of our technology and infrastructure will fail.

Yes, because 600,000 years ago, we were swinging from the same trees as the animals. To use the old Traveller trope, the last time the poles reversed we were at Tech Level 0 and we're now at Tech Level 8, so the impacts could be quite different. I don't think survival is the issue, as there seems not to have been any mass extinction event associated with the last event, but what of our technology and infrastructure will fail.
Not a lot, I imagine. You'll just have to remember that the red end of the needle in your Silva will be pointing south.