Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Standards - Where do we stand?

This sort of complaint has been coming up increasingly on ARRSE and elsewhere.

For example, this from E-Goat, admittedly RAF, but might be worth a scan because it's the same JSPs and the same Project SLAM:

PAYD Contract and facilities in the block [Archive] - E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums

Seems that in some places personnel are not being allowed to use the facilities (utility rooms, storage rooms etc) for the purposes they were designed for - and paid for by the taxpayer, and by the personnel themselves in the shape of accommodation charges.

If there is a reason for withdrawing the "privilege", such as fridges getting into grot state etc, perhaps that should be explained.

Does the OP's utility room have an extractor fan? If so, it was designed to provide at minimum a "snack preparation area".

Banning the use of kettles seems difficult if not impossible to justify. Any SLAM (Single Living Accommodation Modernisation) should have an adequate power circuit to take that load.

The unauthorised disposal of private property from the storage room is another issue. I would like to see the resulting insurance claims - if not police reports.

I understand that accommodation should have at least a second emergency exit.

Z

Zarathustra

Your SQ sounds like a proper noshbag.

In London we weren't allowed microwaves or toasters but as long as people burn the block down or set the smoke alarm off after coming drunk and falling asleep after starting to cook something (happened on a semi regular basis) and they were kept clean no one said anything about them being in your locker.

Hear this a lot but am unconvinced that it is true, you are not a tenant nor less an owner of the accomodation and have AFIAK very few "rights" when it comes to who can/can't enter the place.

I may of course be well out of the loop but I thought that the Q bloke can enter for any safety/security checking he felt was required and at any time he felt like it?
Please re-read, no assumption was made about tenants rights etc of that the CQMS should not conduct unaccompanied visits. Ideally, unless he is a complete Mong, should take every opportunity to have be occupier there:
1 to allay suspicions o theft or improper actions and
2 to be as to grip the grotbag immediately if required.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Where is this fantasy world you speak off? 1954 :) So it’s OK for you to keep a pet when there is no entitlement (Paragraph 0608) but not OK for this imaginary Capt Bligh to make up sh*t as he goes along ^~

Sheepay

War Hero
Where is this fantasy world you speak off? 1954 :) So it’s OK for you to keep a pet when there is no entitlement (Paragraph 0608) but not OK for this imaginary Capt Bligh to make up sh*t as he goes along ^~

Perfectly entitled to own pets in the SLA, given the correct documentation is filled out.

Perfectly entitled to own pets in the SLA, given the correct documentation is filled out.
Indeed you are ALLOWED to keep a pet if you seek written permission from the local service before bringing a pet into the SLA, however you have NO ENTITLEMENT (subtle difference) ^~

Losing your room is SOP everywhere I've been so far. If you deploy, you evacuate your pitspace. At my last unit we had such piss-poor comms with the battery deployed on tour that they arrived back at unit and were kipping on mattresses before POTL.

We aren't allowed to designate a block NCO (a role that I gladly took on at my last unit (despite being a junior Lance Jack because it came with a bigger room) because nobody wanted the hassle it incurred) because all accommodation for several departments is managed centrally.

I walked the pooch out and through the 'storage room' today. It was packed. Now it's empty. There is a large amount of fridges, microwaves and cooking equipment next to the skips. Ruthless.

The rule is - you live in your room. Everything you own lives in your room. You may wash up in the 'utility room,' but don't leave anything there. If it is not locked away, if will be disposed of. If we come into your room (with no notice) and find anything (including going into your lockers) that is 'contraband,' STAND BY.

Today I was questioned by the SQMS as to my TV. It seemed he was adamant to catch people out. As luck would have it I do have a TV License, which he has taken to 'verify.' No civilian would ever be questioned upon producing proof, so I'm at a loss to explain why I have to.

Could you not call SIB in if your CoC steal your "contraband"

As to rooms I was given one, and came back for R&R only yo find out that it had been given to somebody else.

kcsapper

Swinger
Why are you guys bitching, look at the horrible conditions the US Army 3rd Infantry must suffer with.
[video=youtube;IPr_zx9OAjU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPr_zx9OAjU&feature=plcp[/video]

Sorry, had to do it.

Hi CAARPS. I don't really understand why the OP keeping a pet - having presumably obtained permission per JSP 464 Part 3 - has anything to do with his stated concerns.

You may have missed the footnote at the bottom of the same page of JSP 464 part 3:

The use of kettles is allowed.

This refers to the use of kettles in bedrooms - let alone utility rooms/snack preparation areas.

An earlier link would suggest that JSP 315 holds the OPs answer....

Me? Oh, I'm just outraged on his behalf.

Hi CAARPS. I don't really understand why the OP keeping a pet - having presumably obtained permission per JSP 464 Part 3 - has anything to do with his stated concerns.

You may have missed the footnote at the bottom of the same page of JSP 464 part 3:

This refers to the use of kettles in bedrooms - let alone utility rooms/snack preparation areas.

Hi Hackle, I was just on an afternoon fishing trip (sorry) :)

However, I find it very hard to believe (i am not calling the Op a liar) that any unit would allow a rogue SQMS to get away with nonsense like this nowadays.

Room inspections are a necessary evil to protect the blokes from f* ckwits, but it would appear that this guy is making it up as he goes along without any checks and balances from the CofC.

As you say, kettles are allowed as are the preparation of snacks (in appropriate areas). Guys should be given appropriate storage for their expensive belongings, even if it is a misappropriated bedroom.

If true this guy (and possibly unit) are completely 'off script' or maybe I have been lucky :)

This policy was pathetic 20 years ago and remains pathetic. The only reason rooms need to be packed up for tours is that it makes the QMs life easier if somebody is killed on tour. Nobody is about to move into the vacated rooms, it would cause uproar on a units return from Ops.

A couple of points if I may.

Amongst other reasons:

Some Regt's rely on sub-units being away because they simply haven't got enough bed spaces.

Some units take the chance to get some refurbishment and decoration done while the troops are away.

Some Regt's get the blokes to 'box up' because it is a sad fact of life that soldiers do get killed and it is far better boxes going to the parents with kit that the individual has packed and wants them to see, rather than 'everything' being thrown into a box and being dispatched.

Some units insist on boxing because a bloke may get a long career course confirmed whilst away and will deploy straight their leaving the room empty for another significant period of time.

So if you feel the policy is pathetic due to a lazy arrsed QM, crack on ^~

Latest Threads