Standards of Dress?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by HorseGuard, Jul 12, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it just me, or does a white cotton shirt and '95 trousers paired with septic jungle boots seem inappropriate attire for an officer while in the workplace (or any place)?

Are the days of one making an effort to look sharp and professional gone? Is this image a reflection of our proud standards fading? Whatever will the soldiers think?

On making local enquiries, this seemed to be a perfectly normal order of dress (answers of "oh, that's just because he's from the XXXX" dominated).

Perhaps it might just be me applying the Cavalry attitude towards dress on our Infantry brothers (we can't all wear crimson trousers, surely!) - but either way, I was dismayed at seeing an officer slovenly attired....

Please provide opinions on the above scenario to ease my mind - I was the only one around who thought that standard of dress was ridiculous!

2. Normal dress where I am.
    Can't all wear silly shiny tin waistcoats and pvc thigh boots whilst on duty.
    Are you sure they were septic boots? Ours look similar , or so I am told.

Uniform isn't amongst the officer corps.

Is what he was wearing any worse than lightweights, jodhpur boots (spelling that is always a trial) and a cole's shirt?

3. not half as ridiculous looking as an HCR "Bottom Inspector" slash peak cap! Sounds no worse than the wind ups attempted by RAC students at Lulworth on the DS where they attempt to find new inventive orders of dress each day.

Yes, you would look a tw#t wearing the combo described.........but did you point out the offence to the Line Infantwy scum? Or did you bottle it? Ive seen one HCav officer who thought it most amusing to have bright red paisley lining sewn into his smock as a personal fashion statement.......................the ARRSE :wink:

It's a question of personal and regimental pride really......if you want others to think your Bn/Regt is full of similarly lazy, scruffy ill disciplined cnuts then crack on.................BAAAAHHH.....................Standards!

4. Definately Spam JB's - I've a pair myself.

I certainly don't expect uniformity - Lord forbid - all I'm saying is I thought this particular order of dress appeared rather lacking.

I once heard "Dress for the job you want - not the job you have" - so I try to apply it.

How are the junior subbies to learn when their examples are dressed like they just rolled out of the fart sack?

5. I would have pointed it out had he not been a superior rank - believe me!

6. Was he tending Bar?

add a dickie bow and he'd be ready for a subbies combat Ball

7. My unit's Adjt is from HCav. If we were to all take a lead in his standards of dress the big issue sellers who also wear DPM would start giving us money.

I remember an amusing talk the RSM had with him about the bargin rates of the local barber, and the Argos sale on irons.

He does have a good defense however. He was not allowed to bring his batman with him.

Fair point, he didn't join the Cav to do ironing!!

8. My unit's Adjt is from HCav. If we were to all take a lead in his standards of dress the big issue sellers who also wear DPM would start giving us money.

I remember an amusing talk the RSM had with him about the bargin rates of the local barber, and the Argos sale on irons.

He does have a good defense however. He was not allowed to bring his batman with him.

Fair point, he didn't join the Cav to do ironing!!

9. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

For some reason the Cavalry have never seemed to warm to the idea of dressing in uniform. Various odd bits of stuff cobbled together with some things out the bottom of the 'dressing up box' seems to be the norm for them. Apparently for them it shows that you have got 'style'. For the rest of us it shows that they are w*ankers

10. Was he good at the job ?

If so does it matter ? At least it wasn't oily overalls or some other 'standard' set by Corps ? Understand that some messes encourage burbery wear 'ala Chav' these days...

11. Could the word 'uniform' have some connexion?

Heaven forbid Corps set a 'standard' for uniform....

12. Had a Cav friend, who saw a fetching (his word, not mine) jumper in a shop, so bought it, sewed on a couple of eppelettes (well I presum it was his man) and Robert was instantly his mothers brother. I believe his Regiment took it as good form. My old adj would have given me extras and made me copy out unit dress regs, But then i do not belong to such an regiement as the HCav (either that or the adj was an ARRSE)

13. Dirt_Diver

Dirt_Diver LE Moderator

i didn't know officers had a dress standard... :D
    from my exeperiance of you ruperts, you all look like you've slept in your uniforms on morning parades! and the higher the rank, the more sloppy the turn out. and most of you have the gaul to b*llock the lads who are as scruffily turned out. sort yourselves out first. :evil:
    what a great example to set us young lads. NOT. 8O

14. If you are RY you have my deepest sympathy.....the scruff in question is an inveterate slob

15. If an officer has time to turn out immacualtely dressed then he is clearly not working hard enough. That's why they had batmen!