• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Standards of Dress?

#1
Is it just me, or does a white cotton shirt and '95 trousers paired with septic jungle boots seem inappropriate attire for an officer while in the workplace (or any place)?

Are the days of one making an effort to look sharp and professional gone? Is this image a reflection of our proud standards fading? Whatever will the soldiers think?

On making local enquiries, this seemed to be a perfectly normal order of dress (answers of "oh, that's just because he's from the XXXX" dominated).

Perhaps it might just be me applying the Cavalry attitude towards dress on our Infantry brothers (we can't all wear crimson trousers, surely!) - but either way, I was dismayed at seeing an officer slovenly attired....

Please provide opinions on the above scenario to ease my mind - I was the only one around who thought that standard of dress was ridiculous!
 
#2
Normal dress where I am.
Can't all wear silly shiny tin waistcoats and pvc thigh boots whilst on duty.
Are you sure they were septic boots? Ours look similar , or so I am told.

Uniform isn't amongst the officer corps.

Is what he was wearing any worse than lightweights, jodhpur boots (spelling that is always a trial) and a cole's shirt?
 
#3
HorseGuard said:
Is it just me, or does a white cotton shirt and '95 trousers paired with septic jungle boots seem inappropriate attire for an officer while in the workplace (or any place)?

Are the days of one making an effort to look sharp and professional gone? Is this image a reflection of our proud standards fading? Whatever will the soldiers think?

On making local enquiries, this seemed to be a perfectly normal order of dress (answers of "oh, that's just because he's from the XXXX" dominated).

Perhaps it might just be me applying the Cavalry attitude towards dress on our Infantry brothers (we can't all wear crimson trousers, surely!) - but either way, I was dismayed at seeing an officer slovenly attired....

Please provide opinions on the above scenario to ease my mind - I was the only one around who thought that standard of dress was ridiculous!
not half as ridiculous looking as an HCR "Bottom Inspector" slash peak cap! Sounds no worse than the wind ups attempted by RAC students at Lulworth on the DS where they attempt to find new inventive orders of dress each day.

Yes, you would look a tw#t wearing the combo described.........but did you point out the offence to the Line Infantwy scum? Or did you bottle it? Ive seen one HCav officer who thought it most amusing to have bright red paisley lining sewn into his smock as a personal fashion statement.......................the ARRSE :wink:

It's a question of personal and regimental pride really......if you want others to think your Bn/Regt is full of similarly lazy, scruffy ill disciplined cnuts then crack on.................BAAAAHHH.....................Standards!
 
#4
Definately Spam JB's - I've a pair myself.

I certainly don't expect uniformity - Lord forbid - all I'm saying is I thought this particular order of dress appeared rather lacking.

I once heard "Dress for the job you want - not the job you have" - so I try to apply it.

How are the junior subbies to learn when their examples are dressed like they just rolled out of the fart sack?
 
#5
Ozgerbobble said:
HorseGuard said:
Is it just me, or does a white cotton shirt and '95 trousers paired with septic jungle boots seem inappropriate attire for an officer while in the workplace (or any place)?

Are the days of one making an effort to look sharp and professional gone? Is this image a reflection of our proud standards fading? Whatever will the soldiers think?

On making local enquiries, this seemed to be a perfectly normal order of dress (answers of "oh, that's just because he's from the XXXX" dominated).

Perhaps it might just be me applying the Cavalry attitude towards dress on our Infantry brothers (we can't all wear crimson trousers, surely!) - but either way, I was dismayed at seeing an officer slovenly attired....

Please provide opinions on the above scenario to ease my mind - I was the only one around who thought that standard of dress was ridiculous!
not half as ridiculous looking as an HCR "Bottom Inspector" slash peak cap! Sounds no worse than the wind ups attempted by RAC students at Lulworth on the DS where they attempt to find new inventive orders of dress each day.

Yes, you would look a tw#t wearing the combo described.........but did you point out the offence to the Line Infantwy scum? Or did you bottle it? Ive seen one HCav officer who thought it most amusing to have bright red paisley lining sewn into his smock as a personal fashion statement.......................the ARRSE :wink:

It's a question of personal and regimental pride really......if you want others to think your Bn/Regt is full of similarly lazy, scruffy ill disciplined cnuts then crack on.................BAAAAHHH.....................Standards!

I would have pointed it out had he not been a superior rank - believe me!
 
#6
HorseGuard said:
Is it just me, or does a white cotton shirt and '95 trousers paired with septic jungle boots seem inappropriate attire for an officer while in the workplace (or any place)?
Was he tending Bar?

add a dickie bow and he'd be ready for a subbies combat Ball
 
#7
My unit's Adjt is from HCav. If we were to all take a lead in his standards of dress the big issue sellers who also wear DPM would start giving us money.

I remember an amusing talk the RSM had with him about the bargin rates of the local barber, and the Argos sale on irons.

He does have a good defense however. He was not allowed to bring his batman with him.

Fair point, he didn't join the Cav to do ironing!!
 
#8
My unit's Adjt is from HCav. If we were to all take a lead in his standards of dress the big issue sellers who also wear DPM would start giving us money.

I remember an amusing talk the RSM had with him about the bargin rates of the local barber, and the Argos sale on irons.

He does have a good defense however. He was not allowed to bring his batman with him.

Fair point, he didn't join the Cav to do ironing!!
 

chimera

LE
Moderator
#9
For some reason the Cavalry have never seemed to warm to the idea of dressing in uniform. Various odd bits of stuff cobbled together with some things out the bottom of the 'dressing up box' seems to be the norm for them. Apparently for them it shows that you have got 'style'. For the rest of us it shows that they are w*ankers
 
#10
Was he good at the job ?

If so does it matter ? At least it wasn't oily overalls or some other 'standard' set by Corps ? Understand that some messes encourage burbery wear 'ala Chav' these days...
 
#11
Rhino_Stopper said:
Was he good at the job ?

If so does it matter ? At least it wasn't oily overalls or some other 'standard' set by Corps ? Understand that some messes encourage burbery wear 'ala Chav' these days...
Could the word 'uniform' have some connexion?

Heaven forbid Corps set a 'standard' for uniform....
 
#12
Had a Cav friend, who saw a fetching (his word, not mine) jumper in a shop, so bought it, sewed on a couple of eppelettes (well I presum it was his man) and Robert was instantly his mothers brother. I believe his Regiment took it as good form. My old adj would have given me extras and made me copy out unit dress regs, But then i do not belong to such an regiement as the HCav (either that or the adj was an ARRSE)
 
#13
i didn't know officers had a dress standard... :D
from my exeperiance of you ruperts, you all look like you've slept in your uniforms on morning parades! and the higher the rank, the more sloppy the turn out. and most of you have the gaul to b*llock the lads who are as scruffily turned out. sort yourselves out first. :evil:
what a great example to set us young lads. NOT. 8O
 
#14
steptoe said:
My unit's Adjt is from HCav. If we were to all take a lead in his standards of dress the big issue sellers who also wear DPM would start giving us money.

I remember an amusing talk the RSM had with him about the bargin rates of the local barber, and the Argos sale on irons.

He does have a good defense however. He was not allowed to bring his batman with him.

Fair point, he didn't join the Cav to do ironing!!
If you are RY you have my deepest sympathy.....the scruff in question is an inveterate slob
 
#16
crap excuse. it only takes about 10 minutes to put a bit of effort in to acheive a high standard of turn out with 95's. ocifers (yes i know: spelling) are lazy sods anyway. i used to work in an officers mess for a bit. grotty sods too.
 
#17
Thanks for the sweeping statement Laz.
Personally I iron my Cbt 95, and even use, wait for it, starch!
However in warm weather I do wear Septic J/Bs, and maybe magnum type l/weight boots if I'm working at staff.
This is a discussion that has rumbled on in the British Amry Review for at least 18 mnths.
Dress is easy, you wear the uniform, like you expect your soldiers and subordinate officers to. You may embelish it with your own individuality, Jungle boots, etc, however Service dress shirt and DPM trousers, I think not.
Just as bad but approved is Lightwieghts untucked and brown shoes. what is that about?
 
#18
I have always believed that officers should show individuality in their approach to "uniform" and that a slavish adherence to the dress regs showed a lamentable lack of imagination. However there is a difference between "individuality" and "bag of spanners". Trousers and shirts should always be pressed (althought not necessarily with a crease!); shoes should be highly polished (but not bulled - looks like trying too hard); hair should be neat but not close-cropped and faces should be immaculately shaven (moustaches are for old colonels and LEs only).

Bizarre mismatches of uniform items will always look like you got up in the dark, regardless of Corps or Regiment.

:wink:

IF
 
#19
I have always believed that officers should show individuality in their approach to "uniform" and that a slavish adherence to the dress regs showed a lamentable lack of imagination.
I thought uniform should be uniformal not with individuality.

I suppose you wander around your training establishment with your hand in your pocket and on a mobile phone as well. Great example to set to students and junior officers.

Soldiers have a little more (not much more) respect for officers who dress smart.

First impressions are important!
 
#20
This posting reflects the lamentable but predictable result of the spread of the red brick graduate entry. Once well established tailors are now falling foul of the mass market and the individuality and flair of the Officer Corps is floundering. Who these days would be seen dead in Burberry, now the standard garb of the average joyriding scouse ner'do well? I have a £900 suit I simpluy can no longer wear because of the Burberry label!! I believe that there is now even a high street chain marjeting itself as The Officer Shop which looks more like a down market British Home Stores. is it any wonder standards are slipping? C95 has achieved the aim of cutting costs to the treasury whilst providing a reasonably effective combat layer system but where is the fun in that? Standards do not necessarily equate to uniformity and style and panache can be displayed without following the crowd (something the average oik would do well to learn) - unfortunately C95 leaves precious little room for self expression - the look of a well pressed pair of lightweights, shiny brown shoes, No 2 dress shirt, side hat and riding crop is hard to replicate - but still is no excuse for white cotton T shirts and dodgy boots. Whatever next? Grey slip on shoes and white socks? Please, spare me. Leave that one to the RAF.
 

Latest Threads

New Posts