Standards At the PCB

"This isn't an audition for the blues brothers!"

Yeah it was pretty damn funny. Poor chap.

NAP6W said:
PCB -

Day 1:

Reception
Opening Address
BPFA
Lunch
Kit Measuring & Footwear issue
Commissioning Course Brief, Tour of Old College incl accommodation
CSM's Address
Military Language Aptitude Test
Supper
Briefing from and Open Forum with OCdts on the course

Day 2:

Injury Ethos Brief
BPFA Debrief
Attestation
IT Assessment
Arms & Services and Choice of Arm Brief
Adventurous Training Brief
Q&A Session

Thanks.
But what does PCB stand for? Reading between the lines, it would appear to be something that comes between RCB and RMAS. Can one fail it? What about BPFA?

No, you can't fail it, it's literally just a breifing. Sign a few forms, get your boots, sized up for uniform, do a language test which is bloody awful. It's great... Can't fail BPFA either, just a test to see where your level is

PCB stands for Pre-Commissioning Course Briefing Course run three times a term at RMAS to assist with the introduction to military life. Issue of boots, measure of uniforms intro to the environment etc.

People have drawn attention to themselves which has been remembered later... like telling the MO to f off etc.,

The BPFA is there to act as a filter (in as much as people will self-select out if not fit enough to start the course) and also to prepare the OCdts that their sit ups/press ups are not to APTC standard and that they need to get their running up to pace or they will struggle. As ever it is catered to the lowest common denominator - no pass or fail.

barbs said:
PCB stands for Pre-Commissioning Course Briefing Course run three times a term at RMAS to assist with the introduction to military life. Issue of boots, measure of uniforms intro to the environment etc.

People have drawn attention to themselves which has been remembered later... like telling the MO to f off etc.,

The BPFA is there to act as a filter (in as much as people will self-select out if not fit enough to start the course) and also to prepare the OCdts that their sit ups/press ups are not to APTC standard and that they need to get their running up to pace or they will struggle. As ever it is catered to the lowest common denominator - no pass or fail.
Barbs,
Thanks for that - I'd never heard of it. Certainly didn't have it 'in my day'. Sounds like an OBE winning plan dreamt up by a shiney arrse in Academy HQ - what a waste of public money.
QM

Queensman said:
barbs said:

Barbs,
Thanks for that - I'd never heard of it. Certainly didn't have it 'in my day'. Sounds like an OBE winning plan dreamt up by a shiney arrse in Academy HQ - what a waste of public money.
QM
I think it's a top idea - I certainly found it useful. Worry not, it's money very well spent.

cpunk

LE
Queensman said:
barbs said:

Barbs,
QM
It sounds like a good enough idea to me. I well remember on day one or two at Sandhurst the goon in the clothing store measuring my waist by chucking the tape measure round over the top of my suit coat, thus provoking my pl CSgt to ask 'Why are you wearing fecking clown's trousers, Mr cpunk', and how I laughed as my brand new, unbroken, boots combat high scoured the flesh off my heels and ankles on the BFT on day three.

1Windy1 said:
I was on tsar_nikolas' PCB and thought they were a pretty good bunch. It may well be that I'm one of the muppets he's reffering to though! If you're going in January, I look forward to seeing you there smythst.
had to laugh - just cos this reminded me of the old slide inserted at the end of a briefing during a course.

"If you haven't worked out who the course kn*bber is yet.... it's you!"

CRmeansCeilingReached said:
1Windy1 said:
I was on tsar_nikolas' PCB and thought they were a pretty good bunch. It may well be that I'm one of the muppets he's reffering to though! If you're going in January, I look forward to seeing you there smythst.
had to laugh - just cos this reminded me of the old slide inserted at the end of a briefing during a course.

"If you haven't worked out who the course kn*bber is yet.... it's you!"
Heh, in that case, I very much hope I meet a right chopper PDQ!

The instructions mentioned flannel trousers.

Is sports jacket/blazer and chinos ok? Or suit?

Cheers, got mine in 3 weeks.

Don't worry about dress to much...one chap wore sports jacket with the brightest red trouers I've ever seen. Ever. He did manage, somehow, to pull it off!

You know, I've heard of that guy in the red trousers from a few people. I know a few guys on that PCB who, totally independantly have mentioned his trousers.

Talking of outlandish dress, there was a guy on RCB two weeks ago (7th-11th Nov) who had the most outrageous selection of socks, anyone else see him?

Liked Tsar-Nicholas' qoute about not being able to fail a BPFA- technically true.

Also noticed he is halfway through his first term at RMAS. Simply wondered if he felt the same way now.

You can definately fail a BPFA.

NAP6W wrote:
PCB -

Day 1:

Reception
Opening Address
BPFA
Lunch
Commissioning Course Brief, Tour of Old College incl accommodation
CSM's Address
Military Language Aptitude Test
Supper
Briefing from and Open Forum with OCdts on the course

Day 2:

Injury Ethos Brief
BPFA Debrief
Attestation
IT Assessment
Arms & Services and Choice of Arm Brief
Adventurous Training Brief
Q&A Session

What in the world of sport is an injury ethos brief?

No. The Army has finally woken up to the fact that breaking a perfectly good OCdt before he can finish the Commissioning Course is not an effective use of public funds. The old ethos of "grit your teeth and soldier on, like a man" is therefore being replaced with an attitude of: "the true professional will follow medical advice". Hence, "injury ethos".

IF

Latest Threads