Standard of Premiership football to fall

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by in_the_cheapseats, May 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I can't say I disagree with this approach by FIFA. I get bored seeing a list of non-british names in the line ups. Might be interesting to see what an Arsenal or Chelsea team looks like after this comes in.

FIFA to limit oversea numbers of players

Those teams seriously developing youth teams are going to be ahead of the game.

Any views?
  2. still i see they are putting up the season ticket prices
  3. msr

msr LE

22 multimillionaires and a sack of wind, which they can't even kick in the right direction :roll:

4. As long as it is phased in gradually and not forced upon us, I can't see any major problems. There is enough English talent about to create ripples in world football (however small), it's just that English players seem to constantly play second fiddle to foreign players.

This COULD be a good thing.
  5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

This came up this afternoon on the BBC sight. I didn't realise that it was quite as bad as this.

only a 170 UK players out of 498 in the Premiership

See my point about a drop in quality if the numbers go to the other way around? UK can't home grow the quality they can buy in.
  6. Yeah - have to agree with you. A phased implementation would be better as long as they could get it past the EU and their barmy laws!
  7. Will the standard fall? Or will it "dive"?

Then I´d suggest the teams start focusing on their youth teams and start training them up, and reducing the bloated wages of the board members and other players.

The talents there. When was the last time a footplayer went to a school to coach?

Pretty sure they could spare the time, given their wages and "status" as celebs.
  8. This will never happen whilst we are still in the EU. They tried to introduce a salary cap to even up the field in monetary terms, having seen the same thing work in the USA. Sadly, the EU decided that this is unfair and anticompetetive so it didn't happen.
  9. Interesting to see that the last wholly English side to win the FA Cup are top of the league table for having the most Englishmen in their starting line up

Attached Files:

10. 0.34 now that is disgusting i knew arsenal were bad but that takes the p1ss in anyones book.
  11. Agreed. But I worry that if kids are taken too young then they don't learn to play footie they learn to play team. A comment on spanish TV after Rooney did something nifty with his feet (and the ball) was that he must have played a lot in the street when he was a lad.
    How many kids play in the street now? Look what has happened to Scottish football, all 100 mph and nae fitba'.

So bring on development by all means but let them learn footie as well otherwise it won't work so well.
  12. Sepp Blatter is a moron... he can talk this up all he wants but it's never going to happen, we have very specific laws about freedom of movement of workers in the EU... football isn't going to be exempted.

And the argument that foreigners...

1. Damage the league - Really. How so? The premiership is the best league in the world, watched by millions.

2. Damage our ability to compete at internationals - again, really... how so? We have 170 players in the premiership... last time i checked we didn't need that many to form a football team.

13. Hey, maybe if we reduce the number of foreigners in the League to how it was when some people were lads, we'll do just as well as we did at the '74 and '78 World Cups, eh? You don't increase quality by reducing competition, we should be improving youth training and development rather than giving an unfair advantage to second rate domestic players...
  14. The vote was 155 to 5 so the Experts must have an idea whats best for the game.

Definition of a footbal fan. "An overweight man sat on his sofa eating crisps drinking beer, shouting advice to profesionally trained athletes"
  15. and your point is :?: :wink: :?: :wink: